Dress code for Chops & Portofino

Hi all -- Can you please tell me what the dress code is for Chops & Portofino? If it's on RCCl's website I definitely missed it.

Also, if DH and I go to these restaurants, can we get a table for two, or will we be sitting with others in there too? We think it will be fun at a big table in the maining dining room, but at the specialty restaurants, we're hoping it's just us.

Thanks!

Time 'til Mariner on 8/29/04 -- our first cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;8;29;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

njreindeer - We were on the Radiance last Nov and ate at Chops. Not sure exactly what the code is but, I wore a coat and tie and the wife wore a nice dress and we felt very comfortable. The resturant is set up for small parties with plenty of tables for 2.

You will enjoy.

I've asked this question a couple times and never really gotten an answer. Is a dress shirt & tie good enough for a 13 year old, or do I need to bring a jacket just for that night? (I'm bring a tux for him for the formal nights). I'm assuming it's dressy - meaning at least a nice shirt & preferably a tie, but not requiring a suit/tux. Am I correct - I also can't find anything on this on the site. I did read in a review that people who went on the first night were allowed in casual and that was fine.

Big Red Boat '88,

Fair Princess '90,

Norway '91,

Regal Princess '91,

Carnival Fantasy '93,

Regent Rainbow '95,

Big Red Boat '98,

Disney Wonder '00,

Grand Princess 11/16/03,

Voyager of the Seas 09/10/04

Diamond Princess 12/4/04

<MARQUEE> Voyager of the Seas - 9/10/2004 <MARQUEE>

When we ate at Chops we wore what was appropriate for "smart casual".Some people were dressed much more casual but they did not look terribly out of place.I would say a shirt and tie would be perfect for a 13 year old.Also,congrats on getting a 13yr old in a tie!!!

I got tuxes for all 3 of my boys (9 & 11 year old too) on ebay for $30 each. Not high quality, but they look nice on and should last the 2 nights!

Big Red Boat '88,

Fair Princess '90,

Norway '91,

Regal Princess '91,

Carnival Fantasy '93,

Regent Rainbow '95,

Big Red Boat '98,

Disney Wonder '00,

Grand Princess 11/16/03,

Voyager of the Seas 09/10/04

Diamond Princess 12/4/04

<MARQUEE> Voyager of the Seas - 9/10/2004 <MARQUEE>

We were on the Navigator last April and went to both Chops and Portofinos. Make your reservations early and reserve a table for two. We did and it was great. Very intimate. The official dress code for these restaurants are jacket and tie for men and nice dress or pantsuit for women. However, you will see many different types of dress here. I think a shirt and tie for a 13 yr. old would be just fine.

As previously mentioned by another poster, the dress code is whatever is the recommended dress code in the dining room for that particular evening. Formal attire is not required in Chops or Portofinos unless its a formal night.

Century 9-03 * E. Caribbean

Serenade 9-03 * Canada

Grandeur 6-03*British Isles/Norwegian Fjords

Explorer 12-02 * E.Caribbean

Constellation 5-02 * W. Med

Zenith 12-01 * W. Caribbean

Grandeur 5-01 * W.Med

Grandeur 11-00 * S. Caribbean

Rhapsody 5-00 * Alaska

Monarch 5-99 * S. Caribbean

Noordam 5-96 * Alaska

On the formal night on my Jewel short cruise, the suggested dress for Chops and Portofino was still "smart casual" - see the daily planner for that day. This is what I had been told on this board beforehand, ie that the dress code is always "smart casual" in these restaurants and formal dress is never required, as a result of which we were able to avoid packing any formal wear at all for this cruise. (But it seems from RCI's website that they have a definition of "smart casual" which I would actually regard as "semi-formal".)

That said, our cruise happened to be full of people who dressed up to the nines on both nights, even though the first night was officially "casual".

There are plenty of tables for 2 in both restaurants.

Jewel of the Seas 1-3 May 2004 - see my review here, and my photos here.

Archived