tropical storm earl

last look he is going to turn North towards Bermuda...so unless you are on a ship in/near Bermuda if the current predictions hold true (which is not likely this far out) no major impact on cruises likley.

Maybe by the end of the weekend we will have a better feel for impact.

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on a few weather reports and all forecast models point to Earl following Danielle. There is still a slight chance he could move south a bit and get a tad closer than we'd like to the Eastern Caribbean islands, but it looks more like he's tagging along with Danielle.

I'm on a Western route beginning 9/5 and the Eastern route the following week. I'm prepared for an itinerary change just in case. It's all good, we'll be on a cruise!!!

~Lisa :p

I think he's getting a little too close to the eastern caribbean and will change my FOS cruise leaving sunday. It won't bother me, because my plans are to get on the ship with a couple good books, enjoy the sea air, a few drinks (ok, maybe a lot of drinks, but I'm not driving) and RELAX!

I didn't start this thread because I think that CC members are smarter than the NWS, but it's always good to get something going besides Our favorite subjects of "I can't take water on board" or "smuggling liquor"

I'm actually flying from Ft Lauderdale to NY on 9/1 to do the 9/2 EoS cruise to Canada/New England. I'm sure to get out before any storm issues, but hoping not to end up with washouts in canada/NE if it sweeps up near the coast.

Of course, there is ANOTHER system with a 70% chance of developing into a storm behind earl now in the eastern atlantic, so those the following week have to start looking out. They're coming in coming in bunches!

Tropical Weather Update August 24 2010

At this time, Royal Caribbean International is closely monitoring the path and progress of Tropical Storm Danielle to ensure guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises, and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm. The safety of our guests and crew is always the foremost concern of Royal Caribbean International.

Given Tropical Storm Danielle’s current location and projected path, Royal Caribbean has not altered the itineraries of any ships. Royal Caribbean will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and will update this information if there are any changes to the storms' projected path.

Edit : just realised this is Danielle.... not Earl..... sorry

I think he's getting a little too close to the eastern caribbean and will change my FOS cruise leaving sunday. quote]

SHHHHHH!

I would deal with an itinerary change and be ok, but I'd rather Earl leave us well enough alone!

As you know, Danielle is now a cat. 4; and, I believe that Earl and Fiona will essesntitally follow in her track. Apparently, Bermuda will have some squally weather for awhile.

if we're sailing between the bahamas and St. Thomas, wouldn't we be going just west of the hurricane? I would think they would change it to ensure against any changes the hurricane may make. Being a Floridian, I've seen the paths change enough times to not trust where it will be in 3-6 days. Just my opinion, but I have trust in RCCL.

I didn't start this thread because I think that CC members are smarter than the NWS, but it's always good to get something going besides Our favorite subjects of "I can't take water on board" or "smuggling liquor"

God bless you for that. Better to speculate on the path of Earl than expectorate over whether you can booze.

And, for the record, I do think most people who can look at a radar and satellite photo are probably smarter than any government agency, and especially the NWS.

The latest from Weatherbug:

Tropical Storm Earl is moving across the central Atlantic and could move close to the Greater Antilles early next week. It is expected to become the season`s third hurricane this weekend.

As of 11 a.m. EDT, Tropical Storm Earl was located near 15.7 N, 43.6 W or about 1,300 miles east of the northern Leeward Islands. This places it about 2,450 miles east-southeast of Miami. Maximum sustained winds remain at 45 mph and the system is moving to the west at 17 mph. The central pressure remains steady at 29.62 inches or 1003 mb

From the Weather Channel:

Tropical Storm Earl was located 1300 miles to the east of the Northern Leeward Islands with top winds of 45 mph as of 11am EDT Friday. Earl was moving toward the west at 17 mph.

Earl is forecast to gradually strengthen and could become a hurricane by Sunday. It is not a threat to land into the weekend but residents of the Northern Leeward Islands should monitor the progress of Earl.

Another strong tropical wave has moved off the coast of Africa and could become a tropical depression over the next couple of days.

From Accuweather:

Steering currents are likely to drive Earl and a trailing tropical system much closer to the eastern coast of the U.S. compared to Danielle.

While dangerous Hurricane Danielle will re-curve just to the east of Bermuda this weekend, Tropical Storm Earl, which is tracking farther south, is likely to be guided west of Danielle's path, perhaps directly impacting part of the Atlantic Seaboard.

Earl could get very close to Cape Hatteras, N.C. and Cape Cod, Mass. late next week before possibly reaching Nova Scotia and/or Newfoundland Labor Day weekend.

How close Earl tracks to these areas would determine how nasty the weather becomes throughout the Atlantic Coast.

400x266_08271533_beyondweekend.jpg

At the very least, much of the U.S. Atlantic seaboard, Atlantic Canada and Atlantic shipping lanes are in for a prolonged period of rough seas and strong rip currents.

AccuWeather.com Hurricane Expert Joe Bastardi is worried Earl may miss the northerly turnoff and could get very close to the Atlantic Coast. Computer models may be breaking down a ridge of high pressure over the Northeast next week too quickly.

Another system AccuWeather.com meteorologists are watching is the tropical disturbance to the southeast of Earl, which some feel may become Fiona in days ahead.

Additionally, Joe is worried that the system following Earl would track farther to the west, meaning even more direct effects, or even a landfall, on U.S. Atlantic coastal areas.

400x266_08271447_atlanticwide.jpg

On this enhanced infrared satellite photo taken Friday, August 27, 2010, Danielle appears in the middle, with Earl to the right of Danielle.

Due to the uncertainty of the situation a week away, people and officials along the eastern coast of the U.S. and Atlantic Canada are urged to keep a close eye on Earl and the tropical Atlantic in general.

Joe stated, "It is just a matter of time this season before a hurricane or tropical storm slams part of the East Coast, due to the nature of the increasing activity and the now more favorable conditions in the Atlantic."

So, the real answer is: Your guess is as good as anyone's whether we'll see anything out of these storms.

I predict Earl will slam into the Bahamas a week from Saturday :eek:

Murphy's Law & all :(

Kind of have the same mentality. I ended up purchasing trip insurance for my land trip to the Bahamas over labor day JIC.

Kind of have the same mentality. I ended up purchasing trip insurance for my land trip to the Bahamas over labor day JIC.

NOPE, you are both wrong because ALL of the storms will go back out to sea and not hit ANYWHERE I will be cruising in two weeks :D (the power of positive thinking)

Archived