flip flops dangerous?

capsfan24

Anyone have any problems with slipping while wearing birkenstocks? I'm not a flip flop person but plan on getting a pair of those because I don't want to wear my sneakers around the pool or while in port when I'm going to the beach.

I have slipped on wet tile in birks. Hard. On my butt. In front of a large crowd of people. It was awesome. LOL

My closet is full of flip flops.......cheap ones and expensive ones....never ever had a problem wearing them on the ship or anywhere else. Common sense tells me just to be careful on any wet surface anywhere with any type of shoes......

Totally agree - you can pretty much fall on any wet surface with any shoe. Just be careful and all will be good!

Hi Kurb! How's pup doing?

Why does everyone say people shouldn't wear flip flops on deck? I would assume traction reasons. My wife wears flip flops all the time and I told her she might want to wear shoes on deck but she just says whatever

Until you fall on vacation & break something. My first cruise I was wearing flip flops on deck and there was water on deck that I didn't see. I was filming Hawaii at the time and down I went. Thank God I didn't injure myself but I was bruised. You can wear flip flops (in fact I still do) just be very careful when walking and pay attention to water on deck cuz that is what is slippery.

Dangers of flip flops--Can only speak from experience on this one....

Stub toes--When the front of the flip flop catches on the ground and the toe get caught extending over the front edge. Can loose *all* layers of skin and jam the toe nail really well. Memorable. Usually happens at least twice... to the same toe.

Flat tire--When the tab between the toes pulls out from the bottom and and the flip flop dangles off the ankle. Time of new flops. You can sometimes thread the tab back... but it's sure to pull out within the next 1/2 block of walking.

Maternal vengeance--by far the worse risk...when momma wears the flip flop or any shoe that can be slipped off readily...the foot comes up, the shoe slips off and .... BAM!...upside the head. Only way to avoid this is to duck and run. That's usually well the Stub Toe gets you.

Stranded--When the top of the flop gets wet and the flip flop sticks to the deck. Next step is bare foot with the flip flop left behind....assuming the sticking footwear doesn't result in Stub Toe or Flat Tire.

Hydro flop--When a layer of water on the shoe....sends you like an air hockey puck across the deck.... if you are lucky. Otherwise you get a Bump-the-Head.

Thumb tack holder--when you step on a thumb tack (or viscious thorn) in well worn flops, the pointy end of the tack is stuck in place so each time you hop in pain and land back down...a new puncture wound.

That might not be a comprehensive list of the risks.... just a few annoyances I've encountered.

...not sure these risks make the flops any more dangerous than other shoes. Sure would prefer the flip flops to bare feet on hot pavement, stepping onto broken glass or in a gym where there is fungus among us.

Mike

Totally agree - you can pretty much fall on any wet surface with any shoe. Just be careful and all will be good!

Hi Kurb! How's pup doing?

Hey stranger!

Pup is good and growing by the minute! He doesn't look like the pup in the photo......he is now at that geeky awkward junior high age....tall and skinny lol! Loves to play, swim and dig:o He is a major work in progress!

Thanks for asking:)

Find some Sole sandals. They are great on the deck. Alot of traction.

Where do you find Sole sandals and are they cute?:D I have actually done the "Hydro Flop" three times. First time on Lido Deck - I was lucky and caught myself. Second time at home - Ceramic tile and water do not mix well. I broke my knee cap almost in two. Third time at work - ended up with a sore booty for a few days. :o Every time I did the "Hydro Flop" the amount of water on the floor was about the size of a quarter or smaller and I didn't see it. Do I still wear Flip Flops....well yeah. :D

I have been on 5 cruises to date and on CC for 6 years. I really don't remember anyone ever saying something like that, I know I have never said that , so your statement is incorrect.

Not to say no one ever has said that, but I think the correct term is a few people.

Wow one day after I post and 4 pages on the subject. And yes maybe I was being a little over dramatic when I said everyone but I assume it wouldn't be taken literally but I guess I was wrong. I have only been on this site for over a month but have seen many posts where people say "it was their fault for wearing flip flops" and never really understood why SOME PEOPLE think they are dangerous. But thanks for your condescending reply to my question. :)

I was listening to NPR last week and they were interviewing a leading podiatrist. They asked him with all the types of shoes that women wear...like really high heels what was the worst shoe to wear, and guess what...it was flip flops, not enough support, etc. but then he said the worst foot injuries were because of dirt and fungus, you would think that since the tops of these(when you are not wearing them) are exposed to air, but apparenty they are a breeding ground for germs. And then you put on and now you have frowing fungi on yuo. Well, that was enough for me, I'll keep wearing on stupid sandels that I ahve been wearing for two years. Cruise happy and safely.:)

ive never heard that one. at least not in reference to a cruise ship. i wear them all the time.

it does hold true in reference to small boats though. i have a small 25 ft sailboat. sometimes i wear flipflops on board that but take them off because of the boat rocking and when trying to walk around a small deck to tend to things its just not a good idea to be wearing them then. closed shoes are best.

that may be why some people are telling you that. big boat, flipflops FINE!!

I was listening to NPR last week and they were interviewing a leading podiatrist. They asked him with all the types of shoes that women wear...like really high heels what was the worst shoe to wear, and guess what...it was flip flops, not enough support, etc. but then he said the worst foot injuries were because of dirt and fungus, you would think that since the tops of these(when you are not wearing them) are exposed to air, but apparenty they are a breeding ground for germs. And then you put on and now you have frowing fungi on yuo. Well, that was enough for me, I'll keep wearing on stupid sandels that I ahve been wearing for two years. Cruise happy and safely.:)

I think that sandals expose your feet to the same dirt and fungus as flip flops. But there's more of a chance if you're barefoot.

It's the support issue...there isn't any support....that is bad for your feet.

The sole of any footwear determines the "slip" degree.

This has nothing to do with cruising but it is my flip flop story. When I was 15 and my BFF was 17, my mom took us girls and a few family members to Murtle Beach. On the last night we FINALLY talked my mom into letting us go out on the pavillion for a little while at night. This was in the 80's. She wanted to make sure we could defend ourselves from attach so she equipped me with a paring knife and BFF with a grapefruit knife :rolleyes: and told us she would pick us up at 10:30. Well, we thought we were all that and a bag of chips. She in her mini skirt and I in my mini dress. Some boys whistled and beckoned us over from across the street. We cross successfully to the median. Now she was a risk taker and kept going. I have always been more cautious so I waited until a car passed and started to cross. Got the toe of my flip flop stuck on the median and fell face first on the ground with my cute little mini dress exposing all in the back (well my undies anyway). I had blood running down my knee and these little kids across the street, watching from a McDonalds window were cracking up. I was almost hit by an oncoming van because I couldn't get up and my BFF laughed so hard she could barely breath. She kept saying "don't die, don't die". LOL! Clearly the most embarrassing moment of my entire life!

Moral of this story... apparently missed on me since I still wear flip flops.:D

:) Kerry

I was listening to NPR last week and they were interviewing a leading podiatrist. They asked him with all the types of shoes that women wear...like really high heels what was the worst shoe to wear, and guess what...it was flip flops, not enough support, etc. but then he said the worst foot injuries were because of dirt and fungus, you would think that since the tops of these(when you are not wearing them) are exposed to air, but apparenty they are a breeding ground for germs. And then you put on and now you have frowing fungi on yuo. Well, that was enough for me, I'll keep wearing on stupid sandels

That's a hygiene problem not a flip flop problem;)

I've slipped and fallen while wearing the foam bottomed flip-flops, but never had a problem with the rubber soled ones. The last time I took a couple pairs from Old Navy and never "hydroplaned" once.

Another big help was the removal of the slide on the lido deck on the Fantasy class ships, that constant puddle under the slide is what got me the first time, lol.

Archived