Considering Voyager Western Caribbean Feb 2011

jorapp

Greetings Oh Wise Ones!

DH and I are considering the Voyager 7 day western caribbean out of Galveston, Tx next February. We'd love to hear from anyone who had sailed this ship and/or itinerary in the past year. Also, would love a recommendation for a Galveston hotel/motel night before. Thanks!

We have sailed Voyager out of Galveston three times. Don't know what your itinerary is, but I suggest you go to the "Ports of Call" boards and look at information about each of your ports there. We love Voyager class ships. And I particularly enjoy the artwork on VOS. As for motels/hotels, depends on what you want. There are several 3 and 4 star hotels to choose from. Again, go to the "departures" board for Gulf coast and there is tons of info about Galveston hotels and shuttles. We love Gaido's Seaside motel. Just a basic 50's type motel, but so clean you could eat off the floors! Wonderfully friendly and helpful staff, and a "cruise special" rate of....$45! And that includes a $10 gift certificate to either of their restuarants just off the property, Casey's or Gaidos. Be aware that for some unknown reason, Voyager's dining times out of Galveston are 5:30 for main seating and 8 for late. We have been utilizing My Time Dining as 5:30 is too early, but we don't like to eat after 7. If you have specific questions I'll try to answer. Voyager is one of our favorite ships.

Actually, you just answered one of my specific questions with the info about Giado's. We normally spend more than that for a hotel room, but the retro feel might be fun and the price is amazing. Also, just wondering what everyone thinks about this ship and the itinerary in general. We picked it because I've been to Belize before and want to show it to DH. We did Serenade in May and he fell in love with RCCI, but I didn't want to do the same "saints and virgins" again. LOL Do you think it will be chilly in Feb? Is the food decent on Voyager? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

We've been on the Voyager three times and love her. The staff is wonderful and they seem to remember us from our previous cruises and always welcome us back like we are old family friends.

While we are glad that The Mariner is coming to Galvston, and we do have our cabin already booked on her, we are also glad that The Voyager is coming to NOLA. I live half way between New Orleans and Galveston so I will be able to cruise on both ships.

You mentioned Belize so I guess you will not be sailing on our cruise. We are going to George Town, Falmouth and Cozumel.

The weather can be chilly in Cozumel tho' odds are that it will be at least in the 70's. But it will be plenty warm in Belize! We went in late Jan. one year and Cozumel was cold and wet. Last late Feb. no problem. Again check the Belize board for lots of info. As far as food, last Feb. I thought the food was generally very good on Voyager. On our last two cruises on her, I had one of the best pizza toppings I have ever eaten called Greek pizza in the Promenade Cafe. Artichokes, feta, black olives, oregano, garlic and onion...yum! I have been pleasantly surprised by the beef dishes in the past year on both Mariner and Voyager. Tho' I am a seafood lover, seems RCI has learned how to cook beef and forgotten how to cook fish! I also particularly enjoy the Asian/Indian dishes in the buffet and the Indian dishes in the main dining room. At Gaido's you have to tell them you are cruising to get the "special".

Tho' I am a seafood lover, seems RCI has learned how to cook beef and forgotten how to cook fish! I also particularly enjoy the Asian/Indian dishes in the buffet and the Indian dishes in the main dining room.

Yeah, I kinda noticed that on Serenade in May. They didn't ruin the fish, but it was just so so...nothing inventive.

Can anyone tell me how the entertainment and enrichment programs are on VoS? I don't like just sitting around on sea days...need to keep moving or I get bored and then DH does not get his "me time". LOL:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived