New here and my first cruise with celebrity, what is the dress code?

jerseygirl21

Im noew to these boards. I just had one question; How strict is this line witht heir codes, and what do their terms mean exactly? I been on their main site and read all three types, I would just like some examples for both female and males :confused: Thanks, cruise is to Bermuda and Caribbean Islands in Oct.

Jerseygirl....there are so many threads regarding dress codes, I am surprised that you didn't see one! I am with you! Going on my first X cruise in October, and wanted to see about the dress codes. Very open to interpretation. Whatever you read, follow your inticts, and don't take these people as gospel. It is like religion or politics: it is their way, or the highway!!!

For me being a guy, I will be OK with my polo shirts, oxfords, and slacks, and of course my bathing suit at the pool. I have a few nice suits, so I will see what others in my group are wearing. My partner is a little more 'Nascar' in his choice of clothing, so it will be harder on him than me.

For you, slacks and nice blouse or simple dress for casual nights, and for Formal night, an extremely dressy pantsuit, or dress. A formal dress needs to be below the knee typically, but if you wear something spectacular, and your knees are showing, there ain't a soul gonna refuse you entry!...LOL Or a nice cocktail dress you can interchange to create different looks.

As a woman....from my New Jersey...this stuff should already be in your closet!...LOL

HAVE FUN ON YOUR CRUISE~!

Im noew to these boards. I just had one question; How strict is this line witht heir codes, and what do their terms mean exactly? I been on their main site and read all three types, I would just like some examples for both female and males :confused: Thanks, cruise is to Bermuda and Caribbean Islands in Oct.

May I be the first to welcome you to cruisecritic

I also on my first Celebrity cruise. I know there is many threads about the dress code

In a nutshell what is the bottom line?

There was just no reason I can see to be that snobby to her. This site is not all that easy to use to a newbie. Asking if it was a joke was mean-spirited and uncalled for.

My apologies to the OP. I should have realized that being new you would not have any idea of how this topic has been beaten to death.

If you take a look closely near your post, you will see another on the same subject with around 100 replies. You will get all kinds of answers from one extreme to another. I hope you enjoy your cruise and will come back with any further questions. I have gotten plenty of good tips from cruisers here and should have realized that you were just looking for info. But if you can use the Search This Forum at the top of the listings, there is so much you can find there.

Thank You all, and NO it wasn't a joke. I did try and search for those threads but today was my first day n it took me hours. What you guys wrote should be enough tho, thanks again.

Just don't let the fashion police intimidate you. You will do fine and enjoy your cruise! I have never seen anyone in the dining room looking like they shouldn't be there.;):)

I am new to this as well and I can say not easy to follow. I have made different posts, but then I don't know where to go to see if I get any responses? I have learned a lot though from reading the different posts. Some very interesting and entertaining...some very informative...some, unfortunately, where people are rude (which is ashame).

:o

Jerseygirl, welcome aboard:)

on smart casual night, a dress, nice capris, pants or skirt with a blouse or cute top are fine for woman. Chino, slacks or nice jeans (not distressed, holes etc. ok for woman too) with polo or decent shirt ( no tanks) are good for men. some men will wear a blazer if they choose. Some woman will wear dressy jeans.

formal is a suit for men or tux. Woman have a wider variety of choices, cocktail dress (if your knees are good, show em;) ) nice skirt with dressy blouse & some jewelry, dressy pant suits, flowy pants & sparkly top... gown, if that's your style..you get the picture. When I did formal in the pst I took a simple black cocktail dress for all formal nights, just changed out the costume jewelry.

If formal is not your style there's bistro on the S class ships & a buffet. We observed that tuscan grill was very relaxed on formal night. also there is a buffet. On M class I believe there is a served casual area, but some folks say it's gone on the ships that are adding the bistro...don't know if it's true or not.

Have a great time.

Thank You all, and NO it wasn't a joke. I did try and search for those threads but today was my first day n it took me hours. What you guys wrote should be enough tho, thanks again.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. There are lots of really helpful people here, so please, don't be afraid to ask questions.

As far as "dressy pantsuits" are concerned, for formal night, they don't have to be "extremely" dressy. I have a black, flowy 3 piece pants, shell and jacket outfit that I dress up a little with sparkly earrings and a sparkly bracelet. It doesn't matter if you wear the same outfit on both formal nights...lots of people do it, and no one will care. I usually bring a change of shells, and a change of jewelry and switch my outfit up a bit.

Casual nights are actually called "smart casual and above" so that people who like to dress up a bit more can be accommodated without feeling uncomfortable. The Celebrity website will tell you what is not allowed in the dining room.

The specialty dining rooms have the same dress code as the main dining room. On Smart Casual nights, some people choose to dress up a little more, because the rooms are very elegant, but it is not required.

If you have any other specific questions about the dress code, or anything else, please do not be afraid to ask. :)

Really, almost everyone on the Celebrity board is very nice. I think we just have a few people who used to be on their high school debating teams, and enjoy the thrust and parry of a lively discussion. ;)

I am new to this as well and I can say not easy to follow. I have made different posts, but then I don't know where to go to see if I get any responses? I have learned a lot though from reading the different posts. Some very interesting and entertaining...some very informative...some, unfortunately, where people are rude (which is ashame).

Trying to redeem myself from being perceived as rude, may I offer some help with your question. If someone answers your post, your post showing your name and subject line will appear in the column under "Thread/Threader Starter." When someone replies to your post, their name will appear under the column " last post. You can search by going down the page looking at the titles by the subject you placed in the title of your post. Also once you've signed in, at the top of the page there is a box that says "Search This Thread." In the pull down box, type the title you gave your post and it should pop up. Maybe others can offer a better way, but I hope this helps.

And as to what I said in my original post "Is this a bad joke" I was just making a statement, albeit it lame, and it was not intended as a rebuke.

I've apoplogized so that's all I can do.

If you click on your Cruise Critic ID (LinAli55) at the top left of one of your posts, then click on "Find all posts by LinAli55", it will bring up a list of all of your posts, with the most recent at the top. If you then go down to one of your posts, and click on the title of your post (in the pale grey shaded part) it will take you to that post, and then you can look below your post to see who else has responded. Do not click on the bolded title of the thread that you posted to, as that will take you to the original poster's first post, instead of to your own. (You probably need to try it out for that to make any sense). :)

There is another way to "subscribe" to a post, so that you are alerted when something new has been added to a thread where you've posted. I will leave that up to someone else to describe, as I don't use that facility often, and I wouldn't want to give you inadequate or incorrect information. :)

It takes a big person to admit their mistake, and you should be commended for it. :)

Thank you. You're very kind.

I see that I am in dire need of typing lessons though. Guess it's the hour.

Here's how I quickly find threads I've posted to:

In the light pinkish/salmon color bar at the top of this page below the blue WELCOME box, click on the QUICK LINKS button.

Scroll down and click on SUBSCRIBED THERADS under MISCELLANEOUS

This brings up a complete list of all the thread you have posted to.

Click on the thread you'd like to go to.

WELCOME to Cruise Critic and enjoy your cruise planning!

I was totally bemused by the arguments and silliness about dress codes that I saw here, before I went on my first cruise.

Having just got back - let me weigh in.

First off - I'm actually a woman, David is my husband and we use the same log-in. Don't want to confuse you:)

During the day, IME - anything goes. We were in the Med and it was hot. people wore shorts, tank tops, swim suits, wraps etc. It was pretty casual, especially around the pool. It is requested that you don't wear swimsuits into the Oceanview cafe (the buffet) but from what I saw many people did and just pulled on a pair of shorts or a tee shirt.

I never went into the MDR on sea days so not sure what was going down there but imagine that people were a bit less likely to be in pool-side wear and a bit more likely to be in actual clothes - dress shorts, khakis, jeans, whatever. Thats what I would have worn if I had gone there.

For non-formal nights I wore smart Capris with a decent blouse OR a smart-casual dress. DH wore jeans or khakis and a button-down or polo type shirt. The two girls with us were usually in skirts or capris and respectable (by 16 year old standards) tops. Some people were a little dressier than us, many were a bit more casual. As long as you were clean and looked like you had made some effort - I don't think it really mattered much.

Formal nights

DH wore a black suit, dress shirt and tie.

On the first formal night the girls and I wore cocktail length dresses - the girls were short and tight and mine had a longer fuller skirt. WE saw a lot of people in long dresses, cocktail dresses and also a woman in a Kimono and another in a dress Sari. From what I could gauge - most people had made an effort and everyone that we saw in the public areas was well dressed.

On the second formal night - all 3 of us females wore long dresses. Same deal - almost everyone else was well dressed and the men were in suits and the women in smart dresses or pants and sparkly-type tops.

At no point did we feel over-or under dressed.

Hope that helps.

OP, Most of the debate for formal nights here is directed around the men's guidelines. And the main topic of discussion is sportcoat and tie vs suit/tux. For some reason most men/women ignore what other women wear. You'll see "Sunday best"dresses, cocktail dresses, pretty silk tailored suits, dressy crepey or flowy pants with fancy top and yes, even some long dresses.

As the previous post said, you'll notice that MOST everyone seems to put some effort into their clothing choice on formal nights on Celebrity.

Happy cruising. Come on back and let us know what you think!

New to cruising. 1 week med cruise coming up. When do we find out what nights are formal so we can make dining arrangements for specialty dinners. Would appreciate any reply.

We did a 10 day Med - the formal nights were the second and second to last night. The first was on a sea day and the second was after we had sailed fairly early from Dubrovnik.

I do believe that a 7 day cruise only has one formal night - that may be on the sea day- if there is one?

Hester ~ I suggest posting a new thread asking which nights are formal for "the name of your ship, the intinerary (ie, 7-night Med out of Rome). You could also go back to the last several roll calls for your ship doing the same itinerary and ask there.

Just a reminder ~ if someone does not care for the topic of a thread, I suggest they skip clicking on the thread at all. Please do NOT post snide remarks or snide suggestions to folks on the board. Many, many topics discussed on message boards are often repeated. It's just the way message boards work. Thanks for your cooperation1

Happy cruising!

Welcome to the Celebrity Boards

Formal nights - Dress up and look nice

Non-formal nights - think business casual, khaki pants & polo shirts. Other posters have done a great job of descriptions so I won't rehash.

There are some who are sticklers about wearing 'Dinner Jackets' as opposed to sports jackets, etc., While they are correct in adhereing to the written Celebrity dress code...you won't be tossed out of the dining room.

Bottom line - if you dressed like you were going to church on Sunday you should be fine.

If you don't go to church then don't read the sharing drinks thread either...:rolleyes: (another attempt at humor)

Hester ~ I suggest posting a new thread asking which nights are formal for "the name of your ship, the intinerary (ie, 7-night Med out of Rome). You could also go back to the last several roll calls for your ship doing the same itinerary and ask there.

Just a reminder ~ if someone does not care for the topic of a thread, I suggest they skip clicking on the thread at all. Please do NOT post snide remarks or snide suggestions to folks on the board. Many, many topics discussed on message boards are often repeated. It's just the way message boards work. Thanks for your cooperation1

Happy cruising!

Host Ann, I am a bit confused or just defensive, but were you suggesting that my question was in some way 'snide remarks or snide suggestions to folks on the board'. But will take your suggestion on asking those on my roll call since there are those that have done many cruises. Thanks for the suggestion.

We did a 10 day Med - the formal nights were the second and second to last night. The first was on a sea day and the second was after we had sailed fairly early from Dubrovnik.

I do believe that a 7 day cruise only has one formal night - that may be on the sea day- if there is one?

There are two formal nights on a 7 day cruise. Turns to 3 formal when it is over 12 days.

Archived