Where have all the 14 night itineraries gone?

Kitts

WHERE HAVE ALL THE 14 DAY ITINERARIES GONE?

When I was preparing for the CBO role, I noticed that the switch from 10, 12, or 14 nights to more 7 night itineraries has generated many negative comments from Azamara cruise followers and is still a very hot topic on Cruise Critic. Although many of the posts acknowledged the rationale for our decision: a one-week cruise appeals to a younger US demographic who might be “short on time” and/or provide an opportunity to add a land program before and/or after the cruise, many Azamara followers are disappointed with the decision.

But what about the international market which has many more weeks allotted for their annual vacation? There are many combinations of 7-night voyages where ports are not repeated and in spite of the back-to-back savings program, there seems to be a reluctance to opt for combining voyages. For example, the onboard atmosphere on a 14-night differs from two 7-night back-to-backs because of the negative impact on voyage tempo resulting from debark/embark programming and confusion about the menu cycle and onboard programming.

Based on what I have seen on various posts about the absence of 10, 12, and 14 night cruises, I think this is an issue inhibiting future bookings from both sides of the Atlantic. As much as we promote the benefits and savings from voyage combinability, our message seems to fall on deft ears. I will pass on my findings to executive management that there are too many 7-night voyages and for them to take another look at our deployment.

I’ll keep you all posted with the outcome. Until then, for those of you seeking a 14-night voyage seriously consider the back-to-back savings program – book and combine two 7-night voyages and save $600 per booking. You’ll be able to create the ultimate in-depth immersive vacation experience.

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Bill,

Thank you for posting your observations on 7 day cruises vs 12/14 day cruises and for passing your and our thoughts on to the executive mamagement.

It has been discussed here at length (on various threads) why B2B 7 day cruises are NOT the same as a 14 day cruise. As pointed out by Ed among others, 7+7 is 14 in math, but not on cruises - as simple as that. There are merits to 7 day cruises but there are just as many valid reasons for 12/14 day cruises. Not just one or the other.

JMO.

For example, the onboard atmosphere on a 14-night differs from two 7-night back-to-backs because of the negative impact on voyage tempo resulting from debark/embark programming and confusion about the menu cycle and onboard programming.

Bill,

As I'm sure you're aware, there's one more reason that the atmosphere on a 14 night cruise differs from two 7-night back-to-backs, and I think it's important to mention.

On a 14 night cruise, you get to know people and start having meals with them, share shore excursions with them, see them coming and going. This is especially true for Cruise Critic members (on our recent cruise there were more than 60) who get to meet the people they have been getting to know on this board, sometimes for more than a year. The camaraderie is amazing, and continues throughout the voyage.

On a back-to-back, you have to start the getting-to-know-you process all over again. I know management can help this along by having a party for back-to-back passengers at the start of the cruise. Of course you then run into the situation of having some people on the ship for weeks one and two and others for weeks two and three, etc.

Toni

On a 14 night cruise, you get to know people and start having meals with them, share shore excursions with them, see them coming and going. This is especially true for Cruise Critic members (on our recent cruise there were more than 60) who get to meet the people they have been getting to know on this board, sometimes for more than a year. The camaraderie is amazing, and continues throughout the voyage.

Hi Toni

The camaraderie on AZ is indeed one of the main pleasures of the cruise and as you say a 7 day doesn't do it.

Bill

Many thanks for taking note of us AZ followers and we will look forward to (hopefully) longer and more interesting itineraries.

We simply couldn't find a cruise in 2011 that we really wanted to do (we have visited many of the ports several times with AZ) so we will have to hope that AZ can entice us back.

Carol

Bill, thank you for chiming in and sharing here. I, for one, am very much looking forward to your participation, I think that having you here on these Boards is a very savvy move on Azamara's part.

Just to comment on the current discussion, I just received what sounded like a fantastic promotion from Azamara, offering $2000.00 cabin credits for early booking, and $2000.00 Choice Air Credits. When I clicked on "book now" and "plan a cruise" and put in 14 nights, the only cruises that I could find were two repositioning cruises through the Red Sea. Neither of those have any attraction for me and looking at the pricing for anything else, it still the same circa $350 PP PN that appears to be regular pricing. So, "where's the bee....er...bargain?" I can't find it to even look at. Surely I am missing something here.....

Anyway, welcome aboard, Bill, glad you're here, just remember that the Flak is never personal here, just the Kudos.

Bill, thank you for chiming in and sharing here. I, for one, am very much looking forward to your participation, I think that having you here on these Boards is a very savvy move on Azamara's part.

Just to comment on the current discussion, I just received what sounded like a fantastic promotion from Azamara, offering $2000.00 cabin credits for early booking, and $2000.00 Choice Air Credits. When I clicked on "book now" and "plan a cruise" and put in 14 nights, the only cruises that I could find were two repositioning cruises through the Red Sea. Neither of those have any attraction for me and looking at the pricing for anything else, it still the same circa $350 PP PN that appears to be regular pricing. So, "where's the bee....er...bargain?" I can't find it to even look at. Surely I am missing something here.....

Anyway, welcome aboard, Bill, glad you're here, just remember that the Flak is never personal here, just the Kudos.

Bill, also thank you so much for responding. I wanted you to go back to management with another suggestion related to what greeneg just posted. If Azamara is going to offer a Choice Air Credit, please make sure that the Reps know about it and explain it, and additionally there is a clear explanation on the Azamara web site on how to book through Azamara. Right now you can't and need to go to the Celebrity web site and input your Azamara booking number. How is anyone suppose to know that?

We are in fact on a 12 night itinerary (April 24) next year where this $2,000 Choice Air Credit is being offered through Oct 31. Choice Air was never explained to us and we had just booked our own flights. Although able to cancel one flight that was booked using FFmiles, can you imagine our frustration at paying $1,000 more for our stateroom than we should (many months before final payment due date) all because the Rep never told us about "Choice Air". Furthermore, like your competitors (usually when offering "Free Air"), it would have been nice to have offered a (smaller) credit if not using Choice Air. Instead we are left frustrated with Azamara and our cruise is not until next April. And, we did in fact write Azamara Customer Service. It would have been Customer service friendly to give us a little credit (on the second guest in the stateroom), but they told us they are not willing to do so.

I did not mean to make this so specific to our situation but this was the only way I could illustrate what can occur when you have a promotion that isn't even explained fully on your own web site or by your representatives, and do not offer another alternative.

Ed, we just came back from a fantastic 12 day Venice to Rome cruise but have the same problem as many others here - finding a nice 12/14 day cruise in the future.

Looking around, I see that Seabourn has multiple 14 day cruises RT from Venice, that are even better itineraries for the Adriatic than ours was - visiting rare ports such as Korcula, Hvar, etc (no repeats either, except Venice). Those cruises start at $4999/pp - about $ 360/night. As much as we liked Azamara, few would argue that Seabourn is likely to be at least as good, if not better (and more inclusive).

So there are other options out there for people looking for 14 day cruises and willing to spend this kind of money.

Azamara, are you listening?

Archived