Where have all the 14 night itineraries gone?

Kitts

In 2008 and 2009, I enjoyed 14 night itineraries with Azamara. They now seem few and far between, if there are any. Lots of 7 night, a few 10 or 12 night but I don't understand why 14 nights have been cut.

On contacting Azamara, the reason I was given was that cutting the length of the cruises was to attract younger clientelle. I'm afraid I don't get that logic :confused:. Maybe the reference was to younger American clientelle, who maybe don't have as many annual vacation days as us Brits.

I look forward to a full 2 week summer holiday and unless I book 2 x 7 night back to back cruises, at a much greater cost than the original 14 night, my Azamara options are limited :rolleyes:. I know there are other holiday options I can take, however, as a big fan of Azamara, I'd like to think I can look forward to an annual sailing with Azamara :D

Kitts

On contacting Azamara, the reason I was given was that cutting the length of the cruises was to attract younger clientelle. I'm afraid I don't get that logic :confused:. Maybe the reference was to younger American clientelle, who maybe don't have as many annual vacation days as us Brits.

Kitts

I have seem quotes on these boards that the shorter itineraries are because Europeans [i assume that this includes us Brit] "prefer" them. I agree with you that this is yet another incorrect assumption made by Azamara. [see another current thread about their sassumptions about food.] Perhaps Azamara really need to carry out some thorough market research.

Sue

There is a discount with B2B cruises and the itineraries are designed for these. You would save $600 by taking two seven day cruises back to back.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1201681

We, also in the UK have twice, in the last couple of months requested prices for B2B cruises for 2011 Med cruises, only to find that the price is ridiculous, and with NO discounts given. The price for a 7 day cruise is too expensive, and we would not entertain so few days away even though we are only 2-3 hours away from the Cruise Departure Country.

We'r on a back to back in a few weeks, Azamara actually makes it quite easy. We even got the choice air discount on both ends of the back to back. Its a pretty good deal. The nice thing about a back to back in Europe is there is a better choice of itinerary in picking 2 out of 3 one weekers....

We are quite disappointed in the shortened itineraries. We had previously taken two longer Azamara cruises which we thoroughly enjoyed as they covered several ports and included a number of overnight stays. When we went looking for a Black Sea cruise for next year, we looked first at Azamara and were sad to see how pathetic the itinerary was because they were cramming it into 7 days. Doing B2B would not have helped as we had done the "before" cruise ports two years ago and had not interested in the "after" cruise ports. Instead we've booked a 12 day cruise with Oceania, which is Azamara's loss. Hopefully they will see this new choice as a mistake and go back to their old wonderful cruises.

I think the reason is that seven day itineraries attract a younger, working demographic and opens the client base to a great degree. Not only Azamara but all the luxury lines are doing this,, especially during the summer months. Expect more children on board as well.

I think the reason is that seven day itineraries attract a younger, working demographic and opens the client base to a great degree. Not only Azamara but all the luxury lines are doing this,, especially during the summer months. Expect more children on board as well.

All great reasons to stick with Oceania!:)

We love the 7 day itinerary option!

Princess is also offering them with their R-ships

The 7 day itinerary give us the option of adding on a cruise to our extensive land immersion vacation

It also allows us to focus on the ports we want and not be forced to take a longer cruise that includes many of the place we have already been to in the past.

To me, it seems like a lot of decisions are based on what best suits the American clientelle. Offering only 7 night cruises in the summer months and charging almost double for B2B cruises are not necessarily attractive options for all. I understand there are those who want to mix and match more with 7 nights and either a different 7 night cruise or an onshore 7 night holiday...however, to no longer offer any 14 night options in the summer months, when they seemed popular before, seems a bit odd. I have put the question to Azamara via the onboard feedback form. I await to see if anything changes...

To me, it seems like a lot of decisions are based on what best suits the American clientelle. Offering only 7 night cruises in the summer months and charging almost double for B2B cruises are not necessarily attractive options for all. I understand there are those who want to mix and match more with 7 nights and either a different 7 night cruise or an onshore 7 night holiday...however, to no longer offer any 14 night options in the summer months, when they seemed popular before, seems a bit odd. I have put the question to Azamara via the onboard feedback form. I await to see if anything changes...

Yep, that sums it up as most europeans get at least 4 weeks hols a year,2 week cruises make sense and 2 weeks land based

This year was the first time there were children on board. Azamara isn't really geared towards children, so to me, it makes no sense for parents to bring them on the Azamara ships. Much better facilities elsewhere, which would leave Azamara adult only :D I have two grown up daughters so I know what it's like taking young children on holiday. I doubt it'd have been much of a holiday for me had I taken them on a cruise with no kids club, facilities or entertainment!:eek:

For many of us from the Americas, a 12 day European cruise is a 14 day trip. Azamara's target passenger is certainly one with the means to travel in style but with limited time to do so. On our recent Baltic cruise many nationalities were sailing. There was quite a contingent from both north and south of the US border. I did not meet anyone who had flown in the day of the cruise. Many left their home countries two or more days prior to sailing. So think of the vacation time in addition to the cruising time for passengers who must cross a continent or ocean to arrive at their port of embarkation.

I'd certainly think twice about traveling to Asia or Europe for a 7 day cruise. My first planning option is always itinerary and I'd probably dismiss a back to back in an initial search. I look forward to my DH's retirement and carefree sailings with beautiful itineraries. There aren't too many 7 day cruises that will fit that bill.

In 2008 and 2009, I enjoyed 14 night itineraries with Azamara. They now seem few and far between, if there are any. Lots of 7 night, a few 10 or 12 night but I don't understand why 14 nights have been cut.

I dont want 7 days and has been said Bto B is so expensive. Anything less than 10 days is not worth the effort. Bring back the 14 day cruise.

I am from the states and I am also very disappointed in the 7 day cruises replacing 12-14 day ones. I honestly think it was done to save money and make the product appear to not be as expensive as it is. Most of the 7 day voyages leave and return from the same port thus there is way too much overlap. Additionally I agree with other posts that with the shorter cruises there are no overnights and with only 7 days you cannot go very far if you have to return to the same port. I myself who have sailed twice already with Azamara will be skipping them for 2011 and instead will be taking a 12 night voyage on the Solstice in early June. I will do a land trip of 8 days before that on the Riviera and Provence. I hope they return with the longer itineraries for 2012. I will also look into Oceania if thats not the case.

We have a b2b cruise this late fall and we have three overnighters one of which is 2 1/2 days is Venice (for disembarking and boarding) which is great for us. We leave from Rome and end at Athens. We don't revisit any port in those two days. Mary Lou

Hi Everyone !

Add me to the list of those who arent thrilled with the reduction in longer itineraries. One would think for a line that prides themselves in offering more exotic experiences than the mainstream lines, they should want to do longer sailings. I'm not saying they shouldnt mix in a few 7 night sailings here and there, as it's a great way to attract new customers, and welcomes those who cannot cruise longer sailings - but to continuously offer 7 night sailings on some itineraries, is a questionable decision.

I'm very disappointed that Azamara opted to move Journey to San Juan in Winter of 2011. I can't see that being a success. To make matters worse, they are offering 7 night Caribbean sailings, and will have to compete in a crowded field of 7 night sailings. It's tough enough to sell $ 699 Cruises from San Juan, so I am very curious to see if Azamara can succeed at selling $1699 Cruises from San Juan. I thought the 12 night Caribbean sailings from Miami were perfect, both in length and itinerary, though I feel variety is often a good thing. I would have mixed in a few 7 & 10 night Caribbean sailings along with the 12 night itineraries. Nothing says every sailing must be the same length and itinerary. I strongly believe in non-repetitive itineraries, as it promotes back to back cruising. It's smart business sense.

I truly hope that Azamara will take another look at their 2011/2012 schedule, and make the appropriate changes.

Hi Everyone !

Add me to the list of those who arent thrilled with the reduction in longer itineraries. One would think for a line that prides themselves in offering more exotic experiences than the mainstream lines, they should want to do longer sailings. I'm not saying they shouldnt mix in a few 7 night sailings here and there, as it's a great way to attract new customers, and welcomes those who cannot cruise longer sailings - but to continuously offer 7 night sailings on some itineraries, is a questionable decision.

I'm very disappointed that Azamara opted to move Journey to San Juan in Winter of 2011. I can't see that being a success. To make matters worse, they are offering 7 night Caribbean sailings, and will have to compete in a crowded field of 7 night sailings. It's tough enough to sell $ 699 Cruises from San Juan, so I am very curious to see if Azamara can succeed at selling $1699 Cruises from San Juan. I thought the 12 night Caribbean sailings from Miami were perfect, both in length and itinerary, though I feel variety is often a good thing. I would have mixed in a few 7 & 10 night Caribbean sailings along with the 12 night itineraries. Nothing says every sailing must be the same length and itinerary. I strongly believe in non-repetitive itineraries, as it promotes back to back cruising. It's smart business sense.

I truly hope that Azamara will take another look at their 2011/2012 schedule, and make the appropriate changes.

I agree, Andy, those are very tired itineraries out of San Juan, and I think that they will have a great deal of stress selling verandas for $321+ PP per night. Add in a flight to and from San Juan and, IMHO, the value is not there.

I hate to say it but is management at Azamara getting soft? Sailing 7 day cruises from San Juan is insanity and a sure loser with the tremendous competition in the Carribean. How about this instead during the winter. A 12-14 day cruise leaving from Rio and stopping in such places as Sao Paolo,Montevideo in Ecuador and ending up in Buenos Aires with overnights in Rio and Buenos Aires? They could easily sell this as exciting and different. I wish Azamara would stick to their original idea of exciting and exotic ports of call.

I hate to say it but is management at Azamara getting soft? Sailing 7 day cruises from San Juan is insanity and a sure loser with the tremendous competition in the Carribean. How about this instead during the winter. A 12-14 day cruise leaving from Rio and stopping in such places as Sao Paolo,Montevideo in Ecuador and ending up in Buenos Aires with overnights in Rio and Buenos Aires? They could easily sell this as exciting and different. I wish Azamara would stick to their original idea of exciting and exotic ports of call.

I agree that you have a potentially very attractive idea; however, Montevideo is in Uruguay. Ecuador is on the Pacific Coast of South America.

Issues with the Miami saiings include 4 at sea days where the ship needs to "make time".=not the most pleasant sailing.+ Weather from Miami in winter is not consistent. Crowded, yes I said crowded by the pool on those at sea days.

If I were to return to Azamara in the Caribbean (I have reasons not to)

San Juan is not such a bad idea. You are already in a warm climate and thats one of the primary reasons to go in Jan, Feb and March. The ship would not have to "hurry" so much. As I stated previously, mixing up the 7 & 14 dayers is not so bad.

I personally think Azamara is out of its place in the Caribbean.

We've done Windstar in the Caribbean 3 times to our one Azamara Caribbean sailing, and Windstar is just better suited for this area.

We've also done Windstar and Azamara in the Med. Both were excellent.

Azamara is well suited to port intensive cruises, hence their design by the defunct R company.

Nothing against the "senior" age group (hope to make it there someday too) but a longer itinerary does draw a higer age

and Azmara in the Caribbean knew this even gearing their "entertainment"

or lack of it toward this group.

Bottom line, 7 dayers not so bad, figure the b2b discount and the flexibility the one weekers offer, San Juan .... not so bad either...

Why are people upset that a fourteen day cruise is twice as expensive as a seven day cruise? You're on board twice as long.

When I mentioned the cost of 2 btb 7 nighters being twice as expensive, I meant it was twice as expensive as the 14 night I paid for last year!

Anyhoo, that is a separate point to the loss of 14 night cruise itineraries, which is my main issue :rolleyes:

I agree that you have a potentially very attractive idea; however, Montevideo is in Uruguay. Ecuador is on the Pacific Coast of South America.

Sorry I meant Uruguay.I still think this is a far better idea than San Juan and I agree with the other post that roundtrips out of Miami also will not work.

Archived