Live...Live....Live from the Oasis 8/28/10 with Merion Mom

Hi Carol -

Good to see you on the main board again.

Many of the problems you are finding with the Oasis cabin are also present on the Solstice, which we took June 13th, so obviously we are looking at a new corporate policy regarding stateroom design.

Carol - looking forward to seeing you next week on the Mariner!!

If by chance you get to see an inside stateroom - can you keep a mental picture of it. We chose to get Krysten an inside on the Allure (9175 I believe) and want to know what we are in store for. We are booked in a D1 as well so it is nice to know beforehand.

No need to post here - I will talk to you on the Mariner. Have a blast. I am anxious to hear your thread and talk to you about your adventures!!!

Take care.

We just returned yesterday 8/28 and all we can say is WOW! The cabin was perfect for DH and myself and storage was sufficient (we had a D1). Was kind of bummed that we couldn't get the chaise lounger.:(

Also for non-smokers, one can no longer smoke in the Schooners Bar effective two weeks ago.

Merion Mom hope you have a good time as we did. We did take a taxi over to the eastern shore in Cozumel...went to Rastas and Coconuts, wasn't as touristy (is that a word?:confused:) as Mr. Sanchos and other beaches.

Loved the cruise director, Richard Spacey (sp).

Also, niece and her DH almost missed leaving Costa Maya as they and another couple were the last ones leaving the swim-up pool area.:eek:

Have fun:)

Thanks so much for your live report, we are loving it...

it's a shame that the cabins are so cramped :(

A question from my wife if you don't mind.

She would like to leave our hair dryer home if possible

but she doesn't know if the hair dryer they furnish will

accept a standard sized diffuser...

Would you mind taking a picture of the hair dryer for her?

Thanks so much and we hope you have a wonderful cruise.

SeaPass is encoded for the Diamond Lounge and the Concierge Lounge. No extra cards needed.

This Concierge Lounge (I am here typing) blows away the CL on every other ship. Will be posting pics later.

We got here yesterday afternoon around 3.

Fully staffed. Beyond fully, actually. Two concierges, three waiters, and three extra ship staff with computers doing any bookings of shows and restaurants right there. Count them: 8 people, just to wait on the Suite guests and Diamond Plussers.

They were serving champagne and mimosas. mmmmmmmmmmmm

Had one. Okay, had a few. Not sure how many.

:D

Diamond Lounge: nope. You could enter, but it was empty.

Views of the Boardwalk: Incredible. Watched the zipliners for a while.

I still say that there should be an onboard excursion of shooting at the zipliners. Royal Caribbean could make a FORTUNE. Much more environmentally sensitive than skeetshooting clay pigeons.

Looked upstairs (CL is two stories). Upstairs is the area for the Chef's Table. REALLY cool decor up there. Pics later.

I think that I have used up my free 45 minutes - using their computers, not composing on LL's computer and posting, which I will start doing, since that's also the only way to pictures into my posts.

Good bye for now.

Try not to add *too many* posts - I'll have to wade through them to start posting again.

I'm happy to answer specific questions, of course.

Over and out for now.

Love,

Merion Mom

:)

Hi Merion Mom,

How awfully nice of you to post in real time "during" your cruise and be using up your internet minutes. Thank you!!

We are very close to booking Oasis of the Seas, I'm just nervous about the month to pick (Jan, Feb, April) since we don't like overly hot weather and the stateroom to pick.

What stateroom number are you in? I have motion sickness and trying to find the right one that will be more stable and as quite as possible. I'm a very light sleeper.

Any reply you can give, when you have the chance would be greatly appreciated.

Were you able to see any of the menus in the MDR? I've asked members if they have any copies.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Carol,

We are next to you on Majesty right now, we hear that you don't leave until 5pm and go to Mexico and not St. Thomas. Have fun and keep away from the hurricane.

Rick and Deirdra

Rick & Deirdra, we are on the Majesty in October and will be in port with the Oasis, can you tell me if they are side by side?;)

Carol:)

Also for non-smokers, one can no longer smoke in the Schooners Bar effective two weeks ago.

OMG! That's AWESOME! :D:D:D

YES!!:D:D

Please make it balconies next.................

Greetings fellow Cruise Critics.

I am currently on board the indescribably amazing Oasis of the Seas on Day 2 of an altered weeklong sailing.

Originally:

Nassau

sea day

St. Thomas

St. Maarten

sea day

sea day

disembark

Now, thanks to TS Earl:

Nassau - staying later, until 5 instead of 2

sea day

sea day

Costa Maya

Cozumel

sea day

disembark

We have heard that the Carnival ships originally doing the eastern itinerary have similarly altered their plans.

Lord knows how crowded Coz & Costa Maya will be!

Next post: Life on board the Oasis!

I disembarked from Oasis yesterday and saw Earl's Projected Path on the Weather Channel on the way home - not surprised about the reroute.

Regarding crowding in Cozumel, DW and I were there on Thursday of course, when Oasis shared Cozumel with Norwegian Epic, Grandeur of the Seas and Carnival Inspiration. The International Pier shopping complex area was crowded but once you left the port area it wasn't bad at all. We went up to Dolphinaris for a Dolphin excursion, then up further into the town of Cozumel for some drinks, before walking back to the International Pier (a ~60 minute walk with stops). The shops, traffic, etc. outside the port complex wasn't bad at all, given the size of ships in town.

Have a great cruise!

Carol,

Thanks for taking your time to do a live from Oasis thread. I am new to cruising and will be taking my first cruise on the Oasis in January.

I am reading where you are talking about the room being small. I am going with my parents that are elderly and we are in a D1, I believe. Originally, we had looked at getting a JS, but we decided against that. Now I am worried we should have gone with the JS. I have since contacted my TA about possibly getting a handicapped unit, as my father sometimes needs assistance with showering. I have been told all units are full and the ship is pretty full across the board. Is the shower large enough for someone to help another if need be? Or is it so small once he is in, he doesn't have to worry about falling as he will be sandwiched in the enclosure? lol The JS is showing a price increase since when we first started to look of $ 2500.00 more. I can't believe how much the prices have gone up for a January sailing.

Thanks for your time.

I disembarked from Oasis yesterday and saw Earl's Projected Path on the Weather Channel on the way home - not surprised about the reroute.

Regarding crowding in Cozumel, DW and I were there on Thursday of course, when Oasis shared Cozumel with Norwegian Epic, Grandeur of the Seas and Carnival Inspiration. The International Pier shopping complex area was crowded but once you left the port area it wasn't bad at all. We went up to Dolphinaris for a Dolphin excursion, then up further into the town of Cozumel for some drinks, before walking back to the International Pier (a ~60 minute walk with stops). The shops, traffic, etc. outside the port complex wasn't bad at all, given the size of ships in town.

Have a great cruise!

Thank you for this info. That will be the case with our sailing, over 14,000

passengers and we were planning to stay onboard. :)

Archived