A long time wannabe is finally going to be a newbie

mimito4

If you are opting for the Marriott I would highly suggest the Morningstar Side over the main building at Frenchman's Reef ... even if you arrive late in the day.

Morningstar if much more manageable, and IMHO, nicer than the main building.

if you don't need a beach check out Bluebeards too. its not a big chain but has local charm. STT is not the best island (though I may be biased since i spent about 6 weeks there on business a number of years back) and doesn't really have the same caliber hotels and resorts that you will find on a lot of other islands but if you're coming in late afternoon and want to board the ship around 2 than the STT hotel is not that important. There is a great restaurant on the island called Romanos, its a bit of a cab ride but worth it. The owner is great and they have a surprisingly good wine list.

Good morning everyone--

As always, thanks for the prompt replies and sound advice. Whatever cruise we choose for next November, we will fly in the day before to give us some time to de-stress. You all have given me a lot to think about re. hotel choices.

I'm going to look into the cruises that begin in St. Thomas and end in San Juan. STT sounds less and less flyer-friendly to me! If we do end up flying out of there on the return, I'll definitely look into first class.

Ragnar/anyone else who can advise: The "porter" thing---how exactly do they expedite the process? I know they help w/ the baggage, etc., but what happens from there? Is it like cutting ahead in line?:confused:

Good morning everyone--

As always, thanks for the prompt replies and sound advice. Whatever cruise we choose for next November, we will fly in the day before to give us some time to de-stress. You all have given me a lot to think about re. hotel choices.

I'm going to look into the cruises that begin in St. Thomas and end in San Juan. STT sounds less and less flyer-friendly to me! If we do end up flying out of there on the return, I'll definitely look into first class.

Ragnar/anyone else who can advise: The "porter" thing---how exactly do they expedite the process? I know they help w/ the baggage, etc., but what happens from there? Is it like cutting ahead in line?:confused:

The porter expedites the process by securing your boarding passes (the line can be long) but more importantly they are able to somehow bypass the very long line at Customs and then again at Security... so it is like cutting in line ... and has been going on for many many years.

Thanks for the Porter info!

I know that tipping is a highly personalized thing, but what would be an appropriate amount for this service at STT?

It certainly sounds like a plan to me! Do people simply not know about this (other than you Seadreamers who are in the know!)?:)

Thanks for the Porter info!

I know that tipping is a highly personalized thing, but what would be an appropriate amount for this service at STT?

It certainly sounds like a plan to me! Do people simply not know about this (other than you Seadreamers who are in the know!)?:)

We tip depending on how much luggage we have:p If we have two bags to check we usually tip $15 ... but there is no set limit that I know of in terms of tips.

Seasoned visitors to STT know about this service.;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I just received the final invoice today from our TA, and I was surprised to see that #215 was on the invoice as our assigned cabin. I thought GTY cabins weren't assigned until shortly before sailing?

Regardless, I read your delightful blog Cammiem, and got very nervous when I saw that 215 is the most forward on that deck. Should I be worried? Also, the cabin looks larger than the others. Is it?

Again, loved, loved, loved your blog, Cammiem. I most certainly will be in touch before booking next time. I'm looking forward to sailing with all you guys some day.

Hi guys, I just received the final invoice today from our TA, and I was surprised to see that #215 was on the invoice as our assigned cabin. I thought GTY cabins weren't assigned until shortly before sailing?

Regardless, I read your delightful blog Cammiem, and got very nervous when I saw that 215 is the most forward on that deck. Should I be worried? Also, the cabin looks larger than the others. Is it?

Again, loved, loved, loved your blog, Cammiem. I most certainly will be in touch before booking next time. I'm looking forward to sailing with all you guys some day.

When we have booked GTYs we have received our cabin with our documents and less than a week before the cruise. I guess it depends on passenger load.

If I remember correctly, 215 in a little larger as it is handicap accessible. I am sure Cammiem will correct me if I am wrong:p

Archived