A long time wannabe is finally going to be a newbie

mimito4

SeaDream newbie here. Hi. :)

I've wanted to go on SeaDream since they first launched but for some reason or another, never did. My husband Don and I just booked a December voyage, and after reading all of your posts expressing endearment and loyalty, I'm really pumped!

We've taken many cruises over the years, ranging from Celebrity, RC, HAL, and most recently, Crystal (2 last year--Transpacific crossing and Athens to Venice). Love, love, love Crystal, but don't like the idea of fancy for the Caribbean. Quite frankly, I had already decided never to do another Caribbean cruise unless it was "different," or too great of a deal to stay home.

We've only done a small ship once, and it was years ago in the Med with the now defunct Renaissance (their very small one--held only about 70 passengers). We loved it, and have great memories of the smaller ports and going through the Corinth Canal (try that megaships! :p)

Anyway, long intro just to say hi, and to ask for any special tips from you seasoned Dreamers

Thanks for the warm welcome. Jim, we booked the Dec. 14 on II. 'Twas an irresistible deal. And I just now see that there is a thread for that one. Is that considered a "roll call"?

Btw, my name is Teresa, but friends call me T.

Welcome to our merry band. You are in for a great trip. I tried my darnedest to get FT (my DW) to book that voyage, but she can't since she gets off three weeks before from the TA.

I have to tell you that once you cruise SD, while you may enjoy the other lines you will always find a way to get back on board.

Have a great trip.

Again, thanks for your warm welcome. Veve09, hi! Look forward to meeting you. Jim, I think you can't beat X for the price. I'm sneaking away in October with a girlfriend to celebrate our birthdays on X. It's one of those can't afford to stay home deals.

Now I hope you'll indulge me with a few questions:

1. I realize dress is "elegantly casual," but my husband does want to know if men wear jackets and/or ties at dinner. Do the days find you mostly in swimsuits?

2. I'm not a great swimmer (prefer not being in over my head), but I'd love to snorkel. Are swim type vests possible, along with some patient instruction? I did snorkel once many years ago but I was younger and all that that means, and I was not over my head.

3. Would love any suggestions for the islands we're visiting. We've been to St. Thomas, San Juan, and the baths at Virgin Gorda, but not the others. Along with that, do you have specific recommendations for hotels pre-embarkation in St. Thomas and after debarkation in San Juan?

4. And finally, the matter of seasickness. Had my first experience on the Transpacific Crystal crossing last year, and well, it was awful. I worry about the size of the yacht in regards to this possibility. Has that been a problem for any of you (not that it would stand in my way. . .I'm married to a medicine man, so. . .but would prefer to avoid meds)?

5. So that I don't pepper you all with too many questions, is there a thread that specifically listed Sea Dream tips that you can point me to?

Thank you, thank you.

I'll answer a few of your questions.

1. My husband and I felt perfectly at home in very casual clothes/swimsuits during the day. At night, you're expected to dress up a little. No jackets or ties, but no jeans, swimsuits, or shorts, either.

2. There are swimvests onboard, I think. They make you wear them when they do a wet landing on the zodiac for the champagne and caviar splash.

3. I have limited experience with the islands, so I'll let someone else answer this one.

4. I got seasick on SD 1. Thankfully, I brought Bonine seasickness pills with me and that took care of the seasickness immediately. Some say the pills don't work for them but they worked like a charm for me. Your mileage may vary.

5. I'll let someone else answer this one, too.

Hi teresa

Let me see if I can give you any insight. I'll stick my answers in below.

Again, thanks for your warm welcome. Veve09, hi! Look forward to meeting you. Jim, I think you can't beat X for the price. I'm sneaking away in October with a girlfriend to celebrate our birthdays on X. It's one of those can't afford to stay home deals.

Now I hope you'll indulge me with a few questions:

1. I realize dress is "elegantly casual," but my husband does want to know if men wear jackets and/or ties at dinner. Do the days find you mostly in swimsuits?

I always take a sport coat, and put it on sometimes at night solely for warmth. FT insists that we dine al fresco every night and sometimes I just get cold. I would not hesitate to simply wear a golf shirt every night and I usually do just that, I have not taken a tie since our first SD cruise whihc was six or seven years ago. During the day swim suits or shorts are fine, a lot of it depends on your plans for the day. The best thing about the yacht is that the cabins are so close it is easy to change.

2. I'm not a great swimmer (prefer not being in over my head), but I'd love to snorkel. Are swim type vests possible, along with some patient instruction? I did snorkel once many years ago but I was younger and all that that means, and I was not over my head.

This one is going to be tough. SD does not have snorkel vests. they carry life vest that are used on the water toys. If you feel like you need one go to a local dive shop, pick one up at the dive shop in Havensight in St. Thomas or order one from Diver's Direct. Cost is about $30. No snorkeling instruction on board. Maybe you should get to St. Thomas a day early and do a snorkel trip where you can get instruction. The real key is to go slow and float a lot. Snorkeling is really easy as long as you can breath through your mouth and not be afraid to get wet. One more thing, you float a lot better in the ocean than in a pool.

3. Would love any suggestions for the islands we're visiting. We've been to St. Thomas, San Juan, and the baths at Virgin Gorda, but not the others. Along with that, do you have specific recommendations for hotels pre-embarkation in St. Thomas and after debarkation in San Juan?

Cruz Bay, St. John - Great snorkeling at Trunk Bay. Wander around town, or rent a jeep and explore.

Gustavia, St. Barthelemy - Rent a car one day and explore. This is basically the SD Independent Explorer excursion, but if you book it on your own it only costs about half.

Norman Island, British Virgin Islands - FT will tell you to go ashore and hike to the top of the hill.

Virgin Gorda, BVI - Go to the baths again, or explore the Bitter End Yacht Club. There is not a lot else to do here.

Jost van Dyke, BVI - This will be the Champagen and caviar splash location. Visit the Soggy Dollar for a Pain Killer or three and if you get a chance make a trip to Foxy's.

Here is a link to my review from last year. Itinerary was almost the same.

http://www.pvavalides.com/cruises/SDII_dec2009/SDII_dec2009.html

In St. Thomas since it is usually just one night we tend to stay at the Marriott. In San Juan lots of choices. If it is only one night and you want to explore old town stay at the Sheraton, if it is longer take a look at my review the place we stayed was nice.

4. And finally, the matter of seasickness. Had my first experience on the Transpacific Crystal crossing last year, and well, it was awful. I worry about the size of the yacht in regards to this possibility. Has that been a problem for any of you (not that it would stand in my way. . .I'm married to a medicine man, so. . .but would prefer to avoid meds)?

Take your meds. The captains do there best to keep it calm, but waves that don't phase the mass market ships can bounce the yachts around. DisneyJen can tell some stories about running to hide from swells and FT and I can tell you about bouncing out of the bed. It is not bad, but you should take your Bonine or the patch and not worry about it. In fact, on the review above a couple of nights the captain said to take meds or visit the MD for a shot.

5. So that I don't pepper you all with too many questions, is there a thread that specifically listed Sea Dream tips that you can point me to?

No threads that I know of, but this board is not that big. Feel free to explore my website (http://www.pvavalides.com/cruises.htm) there are three SD reviews with a lot of details. Also look through some of the posts and find Cammiem, she has a blog with tons of SD info. (http://www.lazyseadreamer.com/)

Thank you, thank you.

Have a great time. :):):)I have to wait until June to get on board again. :mad::mad::mad:

Hey T!

I have a *ton* of archived SeaDream info that you're welcome to.

Email me: lazyhomecook at gmail dot com. It's too much to post here.

You'll love SD!

Disclaimer: I am *not* the bad influence Jim Avery is referring to. :eek:

Hey T!

I have a *ton* of archived SeaDream info that you're welcome to.

Email me: lazyhomecook at gmail dot com. It's too much to post here.

You'll love SD!

Disclaimer: I am *not* the bad influence Jim Avery is referring to. :eek:

Not to hijack the thread but I want to say that some of the info on your photo page was great. I really like the antifog cloths!

Now to stay on topic.

OP feel free to ask any of us about the yachts. We will all give you a very slanted and biased opinion. :D

Not to hijack the thread but I want to say that some of the info on your photo page was great. I really like the antifog cloths!

Now to stay on topic.

OP feel free to ask any of us about the yachts. We will all give you a very slanted and biased opinion. :D

Aw, shucks. ;)

Thanks, zqvol! :D

Congrats and welcome mimito4!

You have received lots of good information from the group so far so I will add just a little.

Like zqvol, DJ's DH takes his trusty navy blazer along ... I think in 30 nights on SD in the Caribbean he has worn it twice:p We live in bathing suits/cover ups during the day since we hardly leave the yacht. For women, you can't go wrong with the Travelers Collection from Chicos!

We have spent a lot of time on STT and STJ. As a matter of fact we have just returned from a week at the Ritz Carlton St. Thomas. We found it to be heads above the Marriott's Frenchman's Reef and Morningstar Beach. However, we stayed at the Club Level at the Ritz and I suspect you won't want to do that for just one night.

When we are in STT pre or post SD we usually stay at Morningstar.

The last two times we have boarded in SJU we have stayed at the Caribe Hilton.

I would highly recommend taking your seasickness med of choice with you. The concierge has some magic pills that work as well. We have run into large swells twice in March but never during our November or December cruises. Nonetheless, be prepared:D

Any other questions you have please ask away! We are a small but friendly group:p

Mimito4--You asked many of the same questions I need answers to, so thanks! I just hadn't gotten around to posting them. I read everyone's replies w/ interest.

I posted on this board a L-o-n-g time ago when DH and I were considering a Seadream cruise; unfortunately the timing didn't work out. However, I am again looking at this line for my 60th :eek: birthday, which will fall on Thanksgiving Day (11/24) next year. The Caribbean itineraries would visit several places we've not been to, and I'm looking for a relaxed but quiet/casual vacation to ease my birthday pain :o....

A few ?'s if you folks don't mind---

DJ--did you have any difficulties at the STT airport on your recent vacation? I recall when I posted before that Jim A. and others (hi all) said to try to avoid STT on the return. However, one of the cruises we are looking at r/t's to St. Thomas.

Also, are there any significant differences in quality/service between SD I and SD II? Cammiem--do you have any comparisons on your site re. differences between the 2 yachts?

While I think we will miss having a balcony, I'm willing to forgo that as the deck spaces look open/inviting. I also like the smaller size of the yacht.

Thanks for your advice, opinions, and help, everyone!

ps--I know this cruise would be over a year away, but I'm a "planner"! :)

You didn't ask me, but we did have a devil of a time getting out of St. Thomas in April. We ended up being delayed for several hours. However, I think that was Delta's fault. The one thing I didn't like so much about the STT airport experience was the nightmare of going through security. It was very inefficient.

The airport is also pretty small, so there's not much to do if you get delayed there...

Mimito4--You asked many of the same questions I need answers to, so thanks! I just hadn't gotten around to posting them. I read everyone's replies w/ interest.

I posted on this board a L-o-n-g time ago when DH and I were considering a Seadream cruise; unfortunately the timing didn't work out. However, I am again looking at this line for my 60th :eek: birthday, which will fall on Thanksgiving Day (11/24) next year. The Caribbean itineraries would visit several places we've not been to, and I'm looking for a relaxed but quiet/casual vacation to ease my birthday pain :o....

A few ?'s if you folks don't mind---

DJ--did you have any difficulties at the STT airport on your recent vacation? I recall when I posted before that Jim A. and others (hi all) said to try to avoid STT on the return. However, one of the cruises we are looking at r/t's to St. Thomas.

Also, are there any significant differences in quality/service between SD I and SD II? Cammiem--do you have any comparisons on your site re. differences between the 2 yachts?

While I think we will miss having a balcony, I'm willing to forgo that as the deck spaces look open/inviting. I also like the smaller size of the yacht.

Thanks for your advice, opinions, and help, everyone!

ps--I know this cruise would be over a year away, but I'm a "planner"! :)

Glad to provide assistance Sheltieluv!

Getting out of STT was a BREEZE last week BUT we flew home on a Thursday during the lowest of seasons.

While the STT airport is a pain in season there are several ways to lessen the pain. If you can, schedule your return for Monday. If you have to fly out on Sunday look into a private taxi and a porter. If you don't want to pay for a private tax (you could split it with other SDers) at least invest in the porter. It will make getting through customs much easier!

I know you asked this of Cammiem but as a veteran of both yachts I can answer the question of SD1 versus SD2 (we have sailed both two times)... I can honestly say that they only way I can tell that I am on SD1 versus SD2 is by the placement of the radar things (which look like golf balls). My understanding is after drydock this year I won't even have that to go by:eek:

Here is my review of SD1: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=736202&highlight=

Followed by my review of SD2 the following year: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=949045&highlight=

There are some more recent review around as well but at least this will give you my and DJ's DH's take on the two yachts.

After 30 nights on SD in the Caribbean I can honestly say that we never miss a balcony since we spend so little time in our stateroom and the outdoor public spaces are fantastic.

No need to apologize about being a planner ... for some of us it is an obsession:eek:

My goodness, thank you all! I can already see I'm going to like this bunch. I've briefly skimmed zqvol and cammien's blogs, and can't wait to get back to them when time allows. We're partial to fun people, so you guys seem like our type.

As for the seasickness possibility, my husband will just prescribe the "badge of courage" aka patches, and we'll use them, just to be on the safe side.

I think I'm going to make a point of taking some snorkeling instruction on the X cruise I have coming up in Oct. One more related question, do those of you who snorkel, travel with your own gear, or does the yacht provide that?

I just made reservations for our pre-cruise hotel at the Ritz Carlton in St. Thomas, but I've just read quite a few negative reviews on tripadvisor. Who knew a Ritz could be shabby? Post-cruise hotel reserved at La Concha Renaissance San Juan. I'm using Marriott points for both. In view of those bad reviews, I'm thinking of booking either the Marriott Frenchman's Cover or the Frenchman's Morning Star for half the points of the Ritz. Would appreciate your thoughts.

My goodness, thank you all! I can already see I'm going to like this bunch. I've briefly skimmed zqvol and cammien's blogs, and can't wait to get back to them when time allows. We're partial to fun people, so you guys seem like our type.

As for the seasickness possibility, my husband will just prescribe the "badge of courage" aka patches, and we'll use them, just to be on the safe side.

I think I'm going to make a point of taking some snorkeling instruction on the X cruise I have coming up in Oct. One more related question, do those of you who snorkel, travel with your own gear, or does the yacht provide that?

I just made reservations for our pre-cruise hotel at the Ritz Carlton in St. Thomas, but I've just read quite a few negative reviews on tripadvisor. Who knew a Ritz could be shabby? Post-cruise hotel reserved at La Concha Renaissance San Juan. I'm using Marriott points for both. In view of those bad reviews, I'm thinking of booking either the Marriott Frenchman's Cover or the Frenchman's Morning Star for half the points of the Ritz. Would appreciate your thoughts.

If you have room in your luggage take your own snorkel gear ... if not SD's equipment is fine.

I can tell you that the Ritz was HEADS ABOVE the Marriott both Morning Star and Frenchman's Reef. Haven't stayed at Frenchman's Cove (which is Marriott's timeshare).

If you are using points at the Ritz seriously look at booking at the Club Level. Definitely work it as the rooms are newer and you can truly make a meal out of the offerings at breakfast, lunch and cocktail hour. Just my $.02.

I just did a review off our stay last week at the Ritz on another board. If you are interested you can find it at virgin-islands-on-line dot come in the USVI forum. I post there as JSL.

I take what I read on tripadvisor with a grain of salt.

Remember you are in the Caribbean and all of the hotels ... Marriott, Ritz, Westin ... are the Caribbean version of the hotels we find here on the mainland.

Knothead, Jen, and everyone--Thank you for your responses!

It does sound like St. Thomas would not be fun to fly out of; maybe I'll end up looking at one of the SeaDream cruises that departs STT and then ends up in San Juan. I'd like to be on board during my birthday (11/24) next year, but another thing to consider is that it would be T'Giving time and air traffic is Always heavy during that time. I would not like to end a great cruise vacation in the St. Thomas airport dealing w/ what Knothead had to! If we do end up flying from Stt, I will take DisneyJen's advice and try to leave on a less-busy day.

Another thing we might have to consider is the weather--not in the Caribbean, but up here. After all, we do have snow sometimes on Halloween!:eek: I'll just have to celebrate my 60th a week or 2 early. With some new-found Seadream friends, it will be all good I'm sure!

Mimito4--I was also looking at the Ritz, just trying to get a feel for a nice hotel precruise.

Thanks again, everyone, for sharing your expertise. It is very much appreciated! Mary

I'll back DJ up on this one, the RC on St. Thomas has its flaws, but being "shabby" was not one of them. The views from the rooms are great, and the restaurants are pretty good, especially the more casul one with indoor and outdoor seating areas. The outdoor one over at the Ritz "club" condos was pretty good in the evening. I'd skip the fancier one for dinner as it was very "echo-y" and not conducive to a nice quiet dinner. However, the johnnycakes and chicken sausage on the breakfast menu were GREAT!

If you have the time, take the catamaran from the RC over to St' Johns for snorkling. While the snorkeling is not that great (to an experienced snorkeler), it would be great fun for a beginner. And the snacks and drinks they serve on the way back are top-notch.

And be sure to ask the towel guys by the pool about the iguanas :D

And if you want an island tour, ask at the concierge desk for Americus, he was great!

My only major squawk about the RC was the very loud ventilator on top of the pool grill, it made sitting out on the beautiful verandas unpleasant. It is very loud from every veranda, as the whole hotel is in a semicircle with that darn ventilator at the center :eek:

And in very late December there will be a lot of children there, not a big issue, but they are everywhere. Mostly well behaved though.

Oh yeah, and the room rates :eek::eek::eek:

But we had a very pleaseant stay there. And would stay again (which for me is major praise, as I rarely feel that way about hotels or restaurants).

Regarding flying out of STT, either get first-class for that leg or hire one of the airport skycaps/porters, either will get you past the madness quickly. Better yet, do both :-)

I have a question as well. Is it absolutely necessary to stay a night before and after the cruise? I'd love to, but my husband just started a new job and can't take too much time off.

When we went in the Med, we came in a few days early but flew out the same day as disembarkation and didn't have a problem (although it was kind of an abrupt end to our vacation).

Hello T and welcome to the SeaDream Family,

I would not suggest the Ritz if you are only staying one night in STT. Its far from where you will pick up the ship, the cab from the airport is pricey unless you want to share and depending on the cabdriver the trip could take a LONG time. Last time we stayed there we got the absolute slowest cabdriver on the Island - it took everything we had for my DH not to offer to drive! The hotel itself is fine but not up to usual Ritz standards. The Marriott Frenchmans Reef is much closer and while not fabulous is doable for one night.

I have a question as well. Is it absolutely necessary to stay a night before and after the cruise? I'd love to, but my husband just started a new job and can't take too much time off.

When we went in the Med, we came in a few days early but flew out the same day as disembarkation and didn't have a problem (although it was kind of an abrupt end to our vacation).

I always try to fly in at least the night before if not more for 2 reasons - first the luggage gods tend not to view us favorably - we ended up doing a week on SD2 on the Amalfi Coast with only carry on's and whatever else we bought along the way and also had a couple of days in San Juan where it looked iffy if we would get our bags before we boarded the ship (and that was a direct flight from Chicago to San Juan) - and second, I just don't like the idea of the stress flying in the same day would cause if flights are delayed etc.

Thanks for much for your input all.

veve09, we do like to fly in the day before for the same reasons overwurked stated. Typically though, I'm ready to get back home after the cruise. In this particular case though, we're using airline points, and the flights available for a decent # of points were too early; therefore, we opted to stay one night post-cruise.

If I'm departing on a cruise say, from Miami and I can get a direct flight from Cincinnati that is plenty early enough, then I don't bother flying in the night before. I'd rather save the money and spend it on something fun. If we're on a European, etc. cruise, we fly in at least one day before, and sometimes two, depending on our desire to spend time in the embarkation city.

And overwurked, makes sense about the choice of hotel in St. Thomas. We don't get in until late afternoon, and will likely be travel weary, so why spend the $ or points at the Ritz. I'm thinking I'll change to the Marriott. Thanks for the good advice.

Archived