wash and fold service question

jandjfun

I am wondering if anyone has ever used this service and had their clothes shrink in the dryer. I never dry my clothes for fear of shrinking them, so I am wondering if the ship service would be a problem for me. Tell me your experiences please:D

I had a pair of white pants from Chicos that came back 2 sizes too small and about 2 inches too short. I had washed & dried them at home at least twice with no problems...

I have friends that also had several items that came back too small...

My advise is to just be careful, no 100% cotton items or anything delicate and you should be fine.

If you do need to be careful you can always use the self serve laundry where you can set the temp yourself...

Thank you! I usually don't need to do laundry but since we will be platinum on our next cruise, and we are doing a back to back, I thought I would let them wash the laundry so they would be clean for the second cruise.

I wonder if you can ask them to wash only. And let them airdry in the cabin.:confused:

While on board, the ship will run a laundry special on the fifth day (I think) of the cruise - fill up the paper laundry bag that is in your vanity drawer with as much clothing as you can, and they only charge you $15.00 for the wash and fold service! My husband and I did this on last week (sent out our underwear, one of my bras, our socks, a bunch of shirts - long and short sleeved, two pairs of jeans, and a couple of pairs of shorts), and everything came back fine. No shrinkage, no damage... everything was perfect!

We plan on doing this every cruise until we hit platinum next year!

Thank you! I usually don't need to do laundry but since we will be platinum on our next cruise, and we are doing a back to back, I thought I would let them wash the laundry so they would be clean for the second cruise.

I wonder if you can ask them to wash only. And let them airdry in the cabin.:confused:

No you cannot let them air dry in the cabin.

They do wash in very hot water and have hot dryers, so as others have said only sturdy stuff.

We always do a load or two in the self service. I bring dryer sheets with me because they only have liquid fabric softener. It takes about 45 minutes per cycle but you can get two washers full into 1 dryer.

I use the laundry on deck 6 closest to the mid-ship elevators so I can just pop up and down from the Promenade to check on it.

There is usually at least one port that either myself or my sister doesn't get off in and we do laundry then (or really early in the morning since we're both early risers.)

We sent a few bags out last cruise. It was a good alternative to washing myself, but the clothing didn't come back super fresh. I think part of the problem is that they say they put your clothing in a large mesh bag to wash it and it doesn't have the "elbow room" to swoosh around and get as clean as I'd like.

I'd do it again if need be.

That answers another question of mine. I was wondering how they knew which clothes were yours vs. someone elses! I figured they just didn't throw everything into one big washer.

Thanks for your help with this question. I think I will continue doing my own laundry. Then there is no chance of shrinkage. :D

I am very particular about my clothes so I usually launder them myself if I am worried about shrinkage. However, dress shirts/slacks usually don't get dirty and merely need a pressing, so that's all I have them do is press only - no laundering.

I have also been told that if you request starch when sending out shirts for laundry that this tends to shrink them too. I have no idea if this is true as I do not use starch but thought I would pass it on.

One thing I did notice is that I had a couple of stains on some of my tank tops and when they came back from the laundry, the stains were baked in. I won't ever send anything with a stain on it again.

I would use it for socks, undies, tee shirts and my DH's shorts, but not for my cotton clothes.

Last year on the Destiny we took advantage of the ship's $15.00 per bag laundry service. However, unlike the previous year when we participated, on this cruise we were only allowed to put in t-shirts, undergarments, shorts, socks, and jammies. Even when we were allowed the jeans and shirts, etc., if I didn't dry them at home, then I didn't send it along for the ship's service.

We used the laundry service last year on the Conquest. We shoved all sorts of things in that bag, with no problems at all. Shirts, shorts, undies, jammies, socks - it all came out OK.

I can't wait until we are Platinum (it'll be a while) so that we can get it for free. I just can't bring myself to spend any of my vacation in a laundry room.

Well, I do usually have a problem with my clothes shrinking during a cruise....but it has nothing to do with the wash & fold service. :p Seriously, we have used this service several times....LOVE IT! It's one of the best perks of Platinum, in my opinion. Never had a problem with shrinkage due to the dryers. (Just due to the food!!)

We used the laundry service last year on the Conquest. We shoved all sorts of things in that bag, with no problems at all. Shirts, shorts, undies, jammies, socks - it all came out OK.

I can't wait until we are Platinum (it'll be a while) so that we can get it for free. I just can't bring myself to spend any of my vacation in a laundry room.

I agree I can not bring myself to spend any vacation time on laundry. This is a nice service for platinum cruisers.

Well, I do usually have a problem with my clothes shrinking during a cruise....but it has nothing to do with the wash & fold service. :p Seriously, we have used this service several times....LOVE IT! It's one of the best perks of Platinum, in my opinion. Never had a problem with shrinkage due to the dryers. (Just due to the food!!)

I agree! lol Only thing I'm not crazy about is the smell of the laundry. Same smell as the towels in the cabins. But we too think the wash and fold is one of the best perks being Platinum and we use it every cruise and will continue.

Kat

• 1 month later...

I've never had an issue with that before either.

I am wondering if anyone has ever used this service and had their clothes shrink in the dryer. I never dry my clothes for fear of shrinking them, so I am wondering if the ship service would be a problem for me. Tell me your experiences please:D

Archived