Make-up for the middle aged.... help!?!

5326jan

I tried the Mally "gun proof" as she says, which I take great offense to, however, the eye makeup was gone in an hour! Don't bother!! A waste of money.

I recieved my order and tried for a few days, but you are absolutely right. Garbage! Everything is going back on Tuesday. It was a waste of shipping charges. I don't think I'll buy anything again that I can't take home a sample of.

As someone suggested Clinique, I have used that again with some success. I put it over the Bare Escentuals Primer. It seemed to smooth things out, but I do get make-up on my phone.:rolleyes: I think I need spray shellac!

I used to be able to go to the drug store, pick up a bottle of Cover Girl and be very happy with the results. Now (age 57), anything I try either lumps up or slides around. I don't feel that I get enough coverage with Bare Minerals, and the like, to cover sun damage and liquid or cream foundation sinks into pours, wrinkles, etc. (And I don't have that many wrinkles yet!:p)

I happened to surf by QVC last weekend when someone named Mally was on and she was very convincingly applying make-up to someone around my age. I wonder how much is the "magic of tv", or if it is the miracle she made it out to be. So much can be affected by good lighting! :rolleyes:

Would love some recommendations! Light skin, tend to be dry, with a few "freckles" which are the only downside of growing up at the beach.

was a model for Adrian Arpell on HSN, for 8 yrs. oh the untold truths! But for $135 p/hr to sit on/off camera was ok for her. Bunch o crap..sorry ladies. I wear Rimmel, since I used to get it in London in the 70's. A good product, good price, on sale often.Avail almost anywhere. I use reg ole baby powder for my face..NO color change. I blend my own colors from 3. I'm over the speed limit, and am happy with the way it performs, lasts, and looks..blush..change out often. Any mascara. Gray Powder shadow eyebrows..for my ultra white hair. lip liner to equalize shrink-age..and minimize bottom lip. 10 minutes..ready to go to work and dinner

Good thread :)

I am 47 years young and have found good success with Mac, dabbled in Chanel, Loreal, Estee Launder, Christen Dior and Lancome throughout the years. My sister just got me onto a make-up line called Urban Decay...OMG I love it :D

I am using the brightening primer after moisturizing and before my tinted moisturizer (this winter I will switch back to Estee Lauder Double Wear or try on of UD's foundations).

I have never used a primer before and must say I love the results!! The brightening primer can also be used by itself. As others have stated after primer you don't need much foundation.....

I am also using the Urban Decay eyeshadow primer potion in both Sin and Original.....WOWZA!!! This have become my can not live with out product. Apperently it makes even cheap eyeshadow intense and stay put all day. It also works wonders in keeping eyeliner from creeping down.....I may just abandon my search for that stay put eyeliner cause this primer seems to be solving that problem.

Honestly, I put it on in the morning put on my eyeshadow (sometimes not cause both Eye primers have enough color to look great on their own) then at 8 PM that night I am washing my makeup off.....it still looks as fresh as 7AM when I put it on. I actually just woke up from a nap and nary a make up smudge :eek:

I bought it at Seraphora which just opened here in Victoria.

Oh and I can not live without my Loreal Extend a Lash Tube mascara......

Can't stand any of the Mally products. Part of it is, I cannot stand Mally herself. She's so totally fake and phony when she's on QVC. But her stuff doesn't wear well at all. It's gone within an hour or two. I'm 57 and I've not found much of anything I like. Bare Minerals just doesn't do it for me and I can't stand the powder flying around, plus, it dries out my skin. So now, I try a little of this and a little of that, depending on my mood. Sometimes it's a creme to powder foundation and sometimes it's just a bit of L'Oreal with some blush.

Count me as another one that has used Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer for years. The coverage is light, yet somehow it seems to cover any imperfections (not totally, but enough), while still making you look natural.

As I am getting a little older, I have been thinking of adding primer, but I'm afraid of getting that look that is just too made up. I don't want my face to look like a painted canvas, the look I prefer is one where people think "How does she look so good without wearing much makeup?"

I do not like either powdered mineral makeup or heavy foundations. Any ideas for me?

I am a big fan of make-up primer....Laura Geller, Smashbox, Bare Escentuals all make good ones. I imagine Urban Decay has a good one for face also, thought I've never tried theirs, but their eye makeup primer i wonderful. As someone said earlier, you will remove eye makeup at night that still looks like you just applied it. You will be able to wear a lighter layer of makeup if you have primer to hold it in place. Try a tinted primer...you might not even want makeup. I also am a fan of luminescence in whatever your top layer is, not glitter...just a little sheen. I use one of the Bare Escentuals Radiances as my top layer. The luminescence reflects light so your little imperfections are not as noticeable....without a heavy coat of something to try to cover them up. I could never go back to a liquid or cream foundation after wearing mineral makeup.

I agree with the posters who have mentioned using a primer. I am 41 and have very dry skin and used to have the issue of my skin just "drinking" in any foundation I put on it (actually, it used to drink in all of the makeup I put on... not just foundation). I now use a very good moisturizer and Smashbox Photo Finish primer (I use the clear one) and then put my makeup on on top of that. It's wonderful and gives a really smooth finish to your skin and helps the makeup not to sink in the way that it did before.

I love MAC Prep and Prime primer. It has made a huge difference for me. I am also another fan of Double Wear by Estee Lauder. Amazing long wearing coverage. For a lighter coverage the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer cannot be beat. I never skimp on foundation. I use Ulta brand eye primer and NYX creme blush at the moment.

Can't stand any of the Mally products. Part of it is, I cannot stand Mally herself. She's so totally fake and phony when she's on QVC. But her stuff doesn't wear well at all. It's gone within an hour or two. I'm 57 and I've not found much of anything I like. Bare Minerals just doesn't do it for me and I can't stand the powder flying around, plus, it dries out my skin. So now, I try a little of this and a little of that, depending on my mood. Sometimes it's a creme to powder foundation and sometimes it's just a bit of L'Oreal with some blush.

I hear you about the powder flying around. I hate that.

A few years ago I bought the whole enchilada of Bare Minerals. Quickly got tired of opening and closing the little pots with all the powder mess. I do love their eye shadows and usually stick with one shade. It stays on all day. To me, a "senior" the foundations were not enough coverage.

I am 41 and have been all about make up since I was 12. I love Laura Gellar's primer. I also use Mary Kay and Lancome. You can find samples on e-bay to try cheaper until you find what you really like. Take the time to go to a department store and let them help you. I usually go a couple times of year to Lancome or Tish McEvoy to see what works style wise and color wise and season wise. I am a red head but it's not as fiery as it used to be so colors have always been a big deal for me. Beauti control did my colors many years ago and that really opened my eyes. Good luck!

I received my Avon order today - applied my makeup and to my surprise really liked how well the products I purchased worked so well with the foundation I picked up at Walmart. I don't believe I will need to purchase anything high end it has been on 12 hours and still looks just as it did when I applied it. Can't get any better than that and feels great, no heavy feeling and I think it will hold up well in hot weather.

I have had good luck with Estee Lauder Resilience Lift Extreme liquid makeup. It's a fairly new product. I don't know how much it lifts, but I have received complements on my skin lately. That never occured before!!

I use a primer on my nose because of my large pores. I also use a foundation brush. Makes a huge difference in the evenness of the coverage.

Archived