Earl and the BVI

Pyrate13

For anyone that might be interested. I have been getting emails and reports from friends that the BVI are taking a hard hit from Hurricane Earl. I have heard that the bay came up over the road at Cane Garden Bay, Bomba's Shack is gone, there are boats that have sunk at Soper's Hole, etc.

I saw a photo from the Soggy Dollar web cam and it looked pretty nasty there.

Things may not be very pretty for any cruises that stop there for a while and I would expect the snorkeling will not be very good either.

I'm sure those folks will need all the help they can get economically so if your ship should dock there please consider making some purchases in the local shops, restaurants, bars, what have you. ;)

More news, a number of boats sunk in Sopers Hole and damage to some of the buildings and the docks.

Bomba's outside walls are still up for the most part but the inside and the wall facing the ocean are gutted.

Cane Garden Bay has damage to the roads as well as builings.

The Road Town ferry building lost part of it's roof.

Nan's art booth at the corner of Zion Hill RD in Apple Bay appears to be completely destroyed in photos I've seen.

Lots of trees down and various building damage. Not good but it could have been much worse.:eek:

Thanks for the update. We were there three weeks ago; stayed up in Belmont. Stopped for a drink at Bomba's and took the Kuralu out of Soper's Hole.

We love to vacation on Tortola! I agree that spending in local shops and restaurants will be a big help.

Please continue to post if you hear anything.

We just got back to Florida from Tortola and Earl; the storm seemed to intensify as it arrived and thank God it didn't hit us directly. From our drive around the island and sail over to Jost Van Dyke on Thursday, the foliage looked pretty much intact and I don't think anyone that visits a week from now will realize that a major hurricane brushed the island. Jost Van Dyke and White Bay looked basically untouched except for the normal torn awnings and washed up debris - the Soggy Dollar looked open and that's a good sign - never closed from what I understood – we snorkel off Sandy Spit and at White Bay and I saw no difference from the week before the storm.

People often like to exaggerate to create drama and the storm was strong; but not a direct hit and damage was minor in general. If you’re visiting anytime soon; you’ll never know Earl was even there unless you work for the weather channel and need to sell advertising!

People often like to exaggerate to create drama and the storm was strong; but not a direct hit and damage was minor in general

I am not in the habit of exaggerating nor do I care one bit about drama. I posted infromation that was sent to me by friends in the islands and from photos that I have seen.

I guess if the damage did not happen to you or yours it's just "minor". I personally would not consider my boat sinking or my roof being off of my busines as minor but that's just me.

It's nice you had a good time, good for you, but that does not mean it wasn't bad for others.

Yes, they will clean up quickly down there, they have to if they want keep down the effects on their tourism business.

Disclaimer- I do not work for the Weather Channel or the BVI Tourism Board, I just care about the islands we have been visiting for many years and people we know that live there.

Archived