Loved our handicapped rooms!

Eclipsepearl

We booked last minute, a 13 night Med cruise.

At first I was hesitant when I saw that we had handicapped rooms but it turned out great.

Our first choice was for two connecting rooms but we couldn't get them.

It was nice to have the extra room and easier for the kids to take showers. The extra floor space was great. The few handicapped features like the seat in the shower and handles didn't bother us in the least. The mirror was adjustable and my kids actually wanted it slightly down so they could see.

Our rooms were also well positioned. I'm not sure if this is a requirement or just on our ship but we were just next to reception. Our kids could find our rooms no problem and everything was close.

I was pretty strict about the noise. I told them, we love the space but since we're in the row with handicapped rooms, some might be in bed earlier or whatever and not to disturb our neighbors.

I'm sure what happened was that those rooms are held until a certain time and then released (in case someone who needed them wanted to book). I'm not sure how to manage to get them again.

So if you can manage handicapped rooms, go for it. I wish I knew how to book them again, especially if not last minute. Anyone know??

As someone who has cruise with a loved one who was wheelchair-bound, I know how much more spacious and conveniently located handicapped rooms are - and I would never, never book one. If I want more space, I'll pay for it and leave the limited number of handicapped rooms to those who need them. I know you're not saying you want to deny someone who really needs the room, but there is no way to book the room and still be willing to move for someone who needs it - the reservation system doesn't work that way. Perhaps you can let the cruise line know that if those rooms end up empty and the cruise line needs to fills them with able-bodied passengers, you'd be willing.

Best,

Mia

It sounds like they were ASSIGNED those cabins because they weren't being used. Don't jump to conclusions that they prevented someone who needed the cabins from sailing!

Had the room been needed, I'm sure they would have been assigned a non-HC cabin.

It sounds like they were ASSIGNED those cabins because they weren't being used. Don't jump to conclusions that they prevented someone who needed the cabins from sailing!

Had the room been needed, I'm sure they would have been assigned a non-HC cabin.

I understand how they got the cabin because I read the post - and I wasn't jumping to conclusions. Did you read the OP's entire post? I was responding to this:

"I wish I knew how to book them again, especially if not last minute. Anyone know?? "

Geez cb...is my post ok now?

Best,

Mia

OP, presumably you got the handicap accessible cabin because you booked near the time of cruising, and that was the only cabin available to suit your family size.

Otherwise, PLEASE don't deliberately book these sorts of cabins in the future! Do you understand just how FEW of them are on any cruise ship? The maximum is 20, on a ship of 1,200 cabins! Usually the number ranges from 8 to 15. 8 to 15. Meaning 8 - 15 people who NEED these cabins are able to book any particular cruise..while you, who could book ANY other cabin, have 1,200 to choose from!

Those of us who need those cabins -- I use a wheelchair for mobility -- have to book 8 months in advance, or farther than that, in order to get one. My next cruise isn't until next April -- I booked last month so that I could get one of the 3 handicap-accessible cabins available on the small cruise ship we'll be sailing on. No "last minute cruising" is possible for me!

If folks who don't really need these cabins book them -- because (as you say) they like the added space, for convenience...those of us who NEED these cabins will be denied the opportunity to cruise because we can't get into any other cabin.

I suspect you didn't really think through this before you recommended to folks that they book the cabins for the space. I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise and hope you have many more...just not in a handicap-accessible cabin.

I understand that you were assigned these cabins at the last minute, but to treat this as an option for convienence for families is just not fair to those who really need the cabins.

I really wish that cruiselines would do a better job at managing their stock of HC rooms. Wouldn't it be nice to have the option to book on a flash sale AND receive an HC room that you need?

We booked last minute, a 13 night Med cruise. First off you booked last minute that's why you got lucky and received an HC cabin. Generally unsold inventory within a certain window of time gets realized for general sale which is reasonable. Even disabled people understand that so this is not the issue.

At first I was hesitant when I saw that we had handicapped rooms but it turned out great.

Our first choice was for two connecting rooms but we couldn't get them. This would be the correct choice in the future.

It was nice to have the extra room and easier for the kids to take showers. The extra floor space was great. The few handicapped features like the seat in the shower and handles didn't bother us in the least. The mirror was adjustable and my kids actually wanted it slightly down so they could see. That extra room is so those of us who use wheelchairs and mobility scooters can safely manuver around, in and out of the cabin. Also have bathroom with a rollin shower to accomdate the wheelchair.

Our rooms were also well positioned. I'm not sure if this is a requirement or just on our ship but we were just next to reception. Our kids could find our rooms no problem and everything was close.

I was pretty strict about the noise. I told them, we love the space but since we're in the row with handicapped rooms, some might be in bed earlier or whatever and not to disturb our neighbors. At least you were considerate of those around you. But shouldn't that be done regardless of what cabin you're in ?

I'm sure what happened was that those rooms are held until a certain time and then released (in case someone who needed them wanted to book). Yes that's correct

I'm not sure how to manage to get them again. If you have a heart please be considerate of those that really need these cabins don't even try.

So if you can manage handicapped rooms, go for it. I wish I knew how to book them again, especially if not last minute. Anyone know??

As a person who is disabled and needs to book a HC cabin, there's something so wrong in you intentionally telling families to book handicap cabins for the extra space. You are being totally inconsiderate of those that really need HC cabins. This is something we disabled people have to deal with on a regular basis. We certainly understand that there comes a time that cruise line will release inventory of unsold HC cabins but to actually plan to book an HC and how to do it is so wrong.

Do the math :

• A cruise ship has on average 1200 cabins
  • A cruise ship has on average 11 Handicap cabins which 0.009% of the ships inventory
  • Leaving 1189 cabins for thoose for able body people which is 99.991 % of the ships inventory.
  • Should you really be telling able body families to book handicap cabins ?

I hope there never comes a time that you actually need a HC cabin only to find out an able body familiy booked it instead.

My wife has trouble walking very far and uses a wheelchair partime. We would not consider booking a handicap cabin. We use a regular cabin and she folds up the chair to get through the door. Unless you REALLY NEED the special features then never ask for one, the day may come that you will NEED something special.

Archived