what to pack for the Veendam South America/Antartica trip

capespirit

I've done this route twice, so may be of some help. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I like colder climates!

From Rio to Buenos Aires, and Santiago and one day out from there, expect hot and humid. In Antarctica itself, expect at least one day with frigid, windy conditions (may not happen, but better to plan for it).

Plan to layer. I took sun dresses, a pair of slacks with a t-top, sweatshirts and flat-knit sweater that also went with the slacks, and a heavy winter coat with gloves. Some combination worked every day.

I left room for my coat in my suitcase, stuffed my gloves in the pockets and took it off and packed it when I got to the airport leaving home. That way I didn't have to lug it when I arrived in the hot/humid embarkation port. And the gloves were exactly where I needed them when I wanted them. No thinking required!

This has to be the most fabulous itinerary in the entire Cruise Planner. Enjoy it to the max.

For Antarctica we most needed hats and gloves. We took coats that had zip out liners that could be worn 3 ways - together for the most warmth, shell alone for a light jacket/rain protection, or the 'liner' (Polar Fleece)alone when it was cool. We also took silk long underwear that fit nicely under regular clothes. Even though we had snow while in Antarctica we were comfortable.

Our cruise (on the Rotterdam) was 22-days from Rio to Valparaiso and we stayed in Rio for several days pre-cruise, so we needed to cover the full range of temperature conditions. We checked one bag apiece and carried our coats and carry-on bags. We had NO problems fitting all our clothes (including formal wear) in that amount.

I did a similar trip, from Rio to Valpariso, and had 1 suitcase with a 20kg weight limit!

It was hard to to pack, but we were on a ship with a self-service laundry which helped.

I would recommend lots of layers, I had one of those 2 in 1 coats which had a fleece layer, and an outer waterproof layer so I could wear each one separately as well as together. Take something to protect your ears from the high winds, like a hat or ear muffs.

Also I cut down on clothes for the evenings, taking a couple of pairs of smart pants and lots of pretty tops that didnt take up much room (our cruise did not have any formal nights)

We did a 46 day repositioning cruise from Florida to Los Angeles with RCCL on the Mariner of the Seas in January, 2009. The weather was exceptable !! :cool: Very,very calm seas even going around Cape Horn. Until you get past Rio and Buenos Aires -- the weather will be warm - not too humid -- nice breezes. As we approached Ushuaia -- the air was cooler - enought for some long sleeve tops and medium weight

jackets. The best purchase I made and used was the silk underwear which was really not needed the day we walked with the penquins in Ushuaia.:D As I said, the weather was

outstanding --- actually dressed too warm for that day's excursion. As you head back up to Valpariso/Santiago - the temps get warm again. We had packed warm gloves, hats, neck scarfs and our coats

had zip-out linings. Unless you are doing some hiking -

winter boots are not necessary. You will definately need

to pack for two different weather situations. If your ship

has the self-service laundry --- then packing "light" should be ok. We live in Western New York -- so traveled in our "winter" jeans/coats for the plane ride down and used these same clothes for Ushuaia.

WAS AN OUTSTANDING TRIP AND EXPERIENCE !!

I was on the same trip with Ruth C and MaryEllen, so we are talking about the same weather. In general, and in retrospect, I wished I packed a bit more clothing for cold temps, and a bit less for warm days. I packed about 50/50, and 60/40 would have been better. I got sick of my same underarmour/silk long underwear, and wished I'd given myself more of a choice. I wore a polar fleece vest a lot, and added a windbreaker and hat/gloves outside in Antarctica. That said, when it's hot, it's really hot and humid. We went to Iguassu falls before our trip, and it was extremely warm and humid there.

Ruth is right, this is the trip of a lifetime. I am sure it was my favorite cruise, with Tahiti a close second!

We did Antarctia in January of this year. For landings water proof wet pants and jacket, very light weight to go over slacks, and tops. The under armor was helpful. Boots were provided by ship. Off times we had to take off clothes as we were too warm. We did use to heavy pairs of socks daily.. The weather in January 2010 was great. around 5 c or 40F We only had one out of the 10 days down there with wind. Some travelers used a ski face mask. We used scarfs, and were okay. We saw more people with sun burns than people who were cold. Be sure and pack and use a high sun screen. Great journey.

Agree with others..We did the cruise from RIO to Santiago around the horn..Did not go into Antartica..It's rare to have very warm weather going around the horn & while glacier viewing..It's normally warm in RIO, BA & Santiago...

It was even very cold & windy in the Falklands.. Suggest you pack more for the cold than the warm weather.. Also agree about layering..

I took a water resistant windbreaker with a zip out lining & DH took a long leather Jacket with zip out lining...Same one he wore when commuting into Manhattan from L.I. Fortunately, we packed warm scarves, a fur hat for me & a black wool sailors cap for DH (both pulled down over our ears) & warm gloves..If you don't take a hat you will need ear muff's..Make sure you have warm socks too..Someone said you don't need boots, but I took a pair of short suede boots with very warm socks & was glad I did..For DH took a pair of pull on rain boots which went over his boat shoes.. Both were very handy when walking over un-even ground in the Falklands..

While viewing the glaciers, HAL passed out lap blankets which was most welcome & hot pea soup...:):) Yummy...

Did not take my long silk under-ware to South America, but wished I had..If we ever do it again will take two pair of long silk underware..

Some Psgrs on our SA cruise, didn't do their homework & had not packed warm clothes...Instead they purchased sweatshirts & scarves on board...Can't remember if the shops had gloves & hats though..

Have a wonderful time on your cruise.. :) Some day would love to do it again..

Cheers....:)Betty

For landings water proof wet pants and jacket, very light weight to go over slacks, and tops.

HAL doesn't do landings, so there's no need to pack for that event. Thank goodness! There's plenty of packing that needs to be done for this cruise as it is.

My first time taking this cruise, there was a potential shore excursion landing on the continent. To do the excursion would have cost a few thousand dollars, plus would have required at least one full suitcase for the special clothing/equipment/sundries that were required. I remember that a camera and film (this is before digital cameras) only made it to the "suggested", not "required" list! :eek:

That shore excursion never materialized.

Archived