The big question? Can you hire a tuxedo or evening suit for the Captains Cockers? If so does anyone know how much it costs. We are sailing on the Dream in Jan2011.

Thanks in advance

Do you mean onboard or before you go? If onboard the answer is no but to be honest you don't need to go to the bother if you don't want to. My DH bought a cheap (and I mean cheap) lightweight black suit from Tesco and dressed it up with an M&S white shirt and a bow tie and to be honest you can't tell at all on the photos which is what you're doing it for, you can take or leave the rest of the evening. In my opinion that is, lol.:D:D. Some people go the DJ route, some full Scottish attire (must weight a ton in the case) and others wear an ordinary suit. It's not that great, queueing for an hour for 3 photos, glass of warm sparkling wine, applaud the crew and go into dinner. A lot of people like it and if you've got room in your case and you're into dressing up then go for it, we got some lovely photos (we bought 2 of the 3) but probably wouldn't go to the bother again. I'm going to be in for it now, lol.:D:eek:;)

Jan

No, we were on the Celebration in May for 2 weeks. The first week we went to the Captains party, thinking it would be something great. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have missed it for anything, but it isn't anything spectacular. It was just as you said Jan. We didn't bother the 2nd week. We went to Mistrals (the restaurant where you have to pay extra), as it was our 30th Anniversary the week before and we knew it would be quiet Captains night.

We are on the Destiny in October ( 6 weeks on Saturday - Yeh!), and won't probably go to the Captains night. I know it will be different crew, but apart from that the same.

No, we were on the Celebration in May for 2 weeks. The first week we went to the Captains party, thinking it would be something great. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have missed it for anything, but it isn't anything spectacular. It was just as you said Jan. We didn't bother the 2nd week. We went to Mistrals (the restaurant where you have to pay extra), as it was our 30th Anniversary the week before and we knew it would be quiet Captains night.

We are on the Destiny in October ( 6 weeks on Saturday - Yeh!), and won't probably go to the Captains night. I know it will be different crew, but apart from that the same.

Thank you Sue!!:):). I thought it was just us. That's not a bad idea, going to Mistrals, as you can get dressed up as per Gala night, without all the hanging around. We were on first sitting which turned out to be the better bet as when we were leaving (before the rest) there was an almighty queue waiting for 2nd sitting and that's after all the other queueing earlier.:eek::)

Jan

I have to agree with ecko. we did our first cruise last dec on celebration and I nearly bought a tux, but decided to make do with my dark lounge suit. I am glad I did as it is very much overrated, with far too much queing for photographs etc, with a chap ahead of us in the line with a short sleeve shirt and no tie[there is always one, isnt there]. when we do the Spirit next may we will go to mistrals or the lido, and give it a miss.

We have been on several cruises on various cruise lines, but have never bothered to have our photo taken with the captain. However, this had no bearing on the decision to wear formal clothes that night. My husband and sons always wear their DJs. This is to go with the general ambience in the dining room and at the show etc. It is not nice for all the people who have made the effort to have the atmosphere spoiled by the few who do not. However a lounge suit is fine, it does not have to be a DJ.

Agree with Marylizcat. We like to dress up for the formal night as although we've cruised a few times, its still a nice occasion and we like to make the effort. We dont bother with queing for the photos as we've done that before and got the photo. DJ (not tuxedo) for me.

I have to say that *if it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't have known about the Captains Dinner so would have been there in a short sleeved shirt myself.

*Booked first cruise 2 weeks before departure so done little research.

Yea must admit me too i have now got all my gear lol needed a new one really so good excuse.

Archived