Curious....Do you really want to cruise?

DC Caps

I know people that have only gone to Disney World for over 10 years straight......why anyone would do that is beyond me.....

But we live in a free country and god bless them they can do as they choose....as can I.

Since DW and I both enjoy cruising, neither one of us feels we are dragging the other along on their vacation. The only other vacationing we do is driving cross country to see relatives (may sound like a chore to some but we really enjoy it).

Do I want to cruise? No. I need to cruise. None of our other vacations has left me as relaxed and rejuvenated as a cruise does. Plus, it is cost effective. A trip this fall to Oakland from Little Rock will cost $2000 for air for 4 of us!:eek: We may do it anyway, but YIKES! Then there will be hotel, food, entertainment, handicapped van rental. Headache coming on! I need a cruise now!

I'd buy us all a drink, but the bar doesn't seem to be open yet. It's the thought that counts, right?

Cruising has always been our favorite vacation. This month will be our 10th. Cruising is also the best value for your month. Basically about half the price of flying and staying at resorts.

You also might want to look at cruising also through another paradigm.

* Can be a floating hotel- Did that around the Hawaiian Island few years ago. Lot cheaper and easier that flying to Islands and resorts. Also at night highlight was when our ship at night was going by Kiluea Volcano where the lava flows into into ocean. Will never forget that. After our cruise we also staying in Oahu four days.

* Try a repositioning cruise- Six year ago too a red eye flight on a Friday to Puerto Rico. Toured the Bacardi factory, Caribbean National Rain forest, and best thing ever, Eco tour of the Bio Bay. Ship left Sunday around the Caribbean and trip ended up in New York City. My wife at never been there and we stayed 4 days there. Had an awesome time there. Then flew back to CA. Repositioning cruises can often be about half price sometimes depending on many things.

I love cruising, so absolutely I really want to cruise. I love the experience of being on a ship for a week, seeing multiple places, eating delicious quality food, and all the fun activities located on board. I also love that cruising involves very little planning & almost everything is included in price. Also doesn't help that cruising is affordable for my family & I. I have don't quite a few land vacations in the past, but cruising with my son who is a toddler is so much easier. Once he gets older, we will do some land vacations, as well as cruises.

The more I thought about this question it seems to become dumber and dumber to ask but I figured whatever, I'll ask anyway. Do you who cruise multiple times year after year, vacation after vacation really want to? Even those who just started. We will be going on our first on the Victory next year and we can't wait, so I don't want to come across as knocking cruisers. But I think there is so much to do out there. Like I would love to do an entire Uk tour vacation or Scandavia, or even spend a couple weeks in Australia and New Zealand, even here in the states. Thats just to name a few. So do you guy's just do it because it's a fabulous bang for your buck vacation going to many exotic places, or do you ever want to branch out at the cost of cruising less? Like I said, no knock against cruising because I'm pretty sure I will get the bug,(and that worries me a little) but do you forsake other dream vacations to do it? I would ask the same question in reverse to people that do the same land vacation time after time.

I don't find your question dumb at all!!!

I know what you mean...there is a whole big world out there that isn't a coastal/cruise port. There are so many things I want to see...

but....

I am addicted. Plain and simple.

When I am not on a ship, I am thinking about or planning another cruise.

You know how they say, "Don't be a tourist...be a traveler"?

I'm neither.

I'm a cruiser.

:p

One day I may get bored and find myself wanting to go do a land vacation to someplace fabulous....In my mind though, I feel that if I am going to go to Europe...or South America or Austrailia, Africa... (so many on my list) I need more than a week or two. So I am saving all those longer trips for after my DH retires....which isn't all that far off anymore.

For now, we'll enjoy the sea. :D

Do I want to cruise? No. I need to cruise.

Yeah...that sums it up nicely :)

Nope... I don't want to. Secretly I HATE cruising...

Of course, that was HUGELY sarcastic. I love cruising. I'd rather cruise than do any other type of vacation.

I've been all over Europe, much of the middle east and a fair chunk of Africa and nothing compares to being at sea... nothing.

In addition to the marvel of being at sea is the fact that I pretty much always sail with a wonderful group of friends... folk who I love and admire. Try getting 30 or 40 of your best buds together to go pub crawling in London... ain't gonna happen but getting them all on a ship is easy!!!

:)

ICAM. There is simply nothing compared to being at sea. We aren't fortunate enough to sail several times a year and i find myself extremely jealous of folks who can afford to do so. I can't cruise AND do land vacations either. It's one or the other. Since nothing compares to cruising, i choose cruising. The only land vacations we go on, are to visit the in-laws every few years for Christmas...and honey, that ain't no vacation!!! lolol

Next spring will be our 4th cruise. our first was 14 years ago, then 9 years ago, and then just last november. So, while i long to sail, we can really only do it once in a while.

When I build up enough reward points at work, we cruise. It is free and all we have to pay is the on board account and flights.

If it is coming out of our pocket we choose a nice 5* All Inclusive for 2 weeks as the value is greater. We get a beautiful beach everyday, no kids, lobster every night on the menu, no worries about the account at the end, better service (IMNHO), 800 sf of suite vs 200 sf of cabin, a jacuzzi, a balcony that has direct access to the pool and all the amenities you get onboard plus more. No brainer for us.

All of the above costs about $1000 less than B2B 7 day cruises on Carnival as well for us.

I'm getting ready to go on my third cruise and I'm so excited! I absolutely love cruising! It's the one vacation where I can truly do nothing at all and enjoy every second of it. I can many, many, many more cruises in my future! That being said, I would kill to go to Egypt and Greece for a week! I think most cruisers are like me, they love to cruise, but enjoy land vacations, as well!

I enjoy both types of vacations. Thats why 3 of our 4 cruises have been doubled up with mini "land" type vacations prior to or after the Cruise.

For example our Cruise on the Glory and the Legend were both proceeded by 3 or 4 days in Orlando to visit the Universal Orlando Resort and Theme Parks. This year our cruise on the Dream was proceeded by a day at Epcot in Disney World and 5 days in Charleston, South Carolina after the Cruise was over. We typically take 2 weeks time off for our vacations back east so that we can make the most of it while we are back there due to how expensive airfare is getting.

We are also budget travelers and spend a good chunk of time hunting the deals. It may seem like we do alot of things but we have never spent over 3k on any of our Cruise/Land combo trips for the 2 of us. The tricks include hunting for airfare deals, booking the cheapest interior cabins, using hotwire for 3 star hotels, and when possible splitting the costs with friends by sharing hotel rooms and rental car costs.

Unfortunatly now that our cruise on the Dream is over we don't have any more cruises planned for the foreseeable future. Instead we have a possible trip to Disneyland in California to look forward to in November and maybe a 10 day trip to Disney World and Universal in Orlando next Spring. Although a Spring 2013 8 day sailing on the Carnival Breeze out of Miami is sounding very tempting for my wife and I's 5th wedding Anniversary.

My husband and I have cruised twice and we're going on our third cruise this month. We enjoy land-based vacations, too, but I've never felt more relaxed than when we're at sea.

We have very long commutes (2-3 hours per day in the car) and we've both had careers that require hotel travel and long hours on the highway. Land-based hotels don't always feel like relaxation, they remind us of work. Cell phones ringing, traffic, airport delays... all of those distractions make cruising ideal. We get out of range of everything and everyone and we don't need to worry about having a schedule or how and when we'll eat. We can enjoy our wine without worrying about who is going to drive home.

Ideally, I'd like to cruise once a year or maybe every other year and blend in a land-based trip here and there, too.

Been an ER/Trauma nurse in a 58 bed, Level One Trauma Center for the last 25 years straight with 12 hour shifts. Sitting on our balcony, on a cruise ship, and watching sun rises/sunsets is God's way of returning to me, my sanity!

The more I thought about this question it seems to become dumber and dumber to ask but I figured whatever, I'll ask anyway. Do you who cruise multiple times year after year, vacation after vacation really want to? Even those who just started. We will be going on our first on the Victory next year and we can't wait, so I don't want to come across as knocking cruisers. But I think there is so much to do out there. Like I would love to do an entire Uk tour vacation or Scandavia, or even spend a couple weeks in Australia and New Zealand, even here in the states. Thats just to name a few. So do you guy's just do it because it's a fabulous bang for your buck vacation going to many exotic places, or do you ever want to branch out at the cost of cruising less? Like I said, no knock against cruising because I'm pretty sure I will get the bug,(and that worries me a little) but do you forsake other dream vacations to do it? I would ask the same question in reverse to people that do the same land vacation time after time.

I've been hooked on cruising since our first in '08, but DH likes road trips, so this past December we combined a road trip vacation with a short 4-day cruise (pleased both of us!).

We also want to explore Europe, so we've started to plan a trip that will incorporate the 2015 Worlds Fair in Milan Italy, and hopefully a Mediterranean cruise too...the best of both worlds ! :D

I have to admit that I'm getting a little "cruised out". My next cruise will be #6 in 4 years. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE cruising and all that cruising has to offer. I love being on a ship and being out in the middle of the ocean by the pool without a care in the world, but I've seen a lot of the Caribbean and I'm ready to see more of the world. Also, for me, cruising isn't always the most economical vacation like it is for others. By the time I add excursions, drinks, souvenirs, precruise hotel, sometimes a single supplement, etc, I've spent a lot of money. As a flight attendant, I can fly for free or very little. My birthday trip to Hawaii last year cost me about $400 TOTAL, including free airfare, 3 nights hotel, food, luau, and souvenirs. I've NEVER spent that little on a cruise. My upcoming flight to Spain cost me $170 round trip. There are so many other places in the world I want to see and experience. I'll likely continue to do 1 cruise a year with my mom for her vacation, but I think I'm over trying to do 2-3 a year. Instead of my annual February cruise next year, I'm thinking of Brazil, Ghana, Australia, maybe the Seychelles Islands. Even though I won't be on a ship, I still wanna be somewhere warm with a beach! :D

I am more of a beach person than a sea day person. I love the idea that the ship takes me to many different beaches. I cruise and I do land based AI beach vacations.

What happened on my last two vacations:

1. All Inclusive vacation- saw a cruise ship float by our beach...we all wished we were on that ship

2. Cruise vacation- sailed past an AI on the beach...we all wished we were at that hotel

I guess the water is always bluer on the other side of the ship.

Archived