Newark to Rome with HAL

blue whale

Dorothy- The Rome cruise is a lovely cruise [ out of Civitivecchia] The airport you fly into is north of Rome and I would guess at LEAST an hour and a half from the port area. When we did that cruise [ I think it was the Noordam -several years ago] we flew in several days early and RESTED up and thoroughly enjoyed -a smallish hotel [ don't ask which one- I can't remember] within a BELLS RINGING distance from the Vatican and near a woodsy park [ It was LOVELY and I was GLAD we did it the way we did!] This doesn't answer your question about HAL flights/NYC etc - because I can't [ of course we flew from Denver] What I'm telling you is; NOTHING is very close to something else in that area of Italy -BUT ALL of it is worth seeing [ and I am NOT RC] You ride across a small [ to us; we're at the foot of the Rockies N of Denver] mountain range running N/S along the interiorBETWEEN Rome and the coast. Rome traffic was exceptionally heavy for us [ read; "WILD"] but the road west to the coast was lovely too. Hint; just plan your trip to INCLUDE a bit of sightseeing in northern/central Italy -Its worth it! Best Anne

Has anyone used the HAL air program to go from Newark, NJ, to Rome for a cruise that starts in Rome's port? Were you given a non-stop? What carrier were you booked on? Were you satisfied?

Thank you.

I think Continental is the only direct flight from EWR. They look for the cheapest flight and with any foreign carrier you have to go through that country. You are at their mercy. Direct it takes 8+ hours. Foreign carrier 12 to 15 hours. Civitavecchia is 40miles from airport and can take anywhere from 45 min. to 90 min depending on day, traffic,etc.etc.

Consider the HAL air deviation program for $75 pp. You pick the day, carrier and flights you want. There may or may not be a price difference in airfare. If the same "code" of airfare is available they will book you in it at no additional cost.

Our data point is HAL had us scheduled to arrive in Barcelona on the day of the cruise at 12 noon, ship leaves at 5:00. Too close for us. We paid the deviation fee, will fly in 2 days early, arriving at 9:00 AM. Same routing (DTW-AMS-BCN) but different flights/day. (No non-stops DTW-BCN). Airfare price was the same.

Consider the HAL air deviation program for $75 pp. You pick the day, carrier and flights you want. There may or may not be a price difference in airfare. If the same "code" of airfare is available they will book you in it at no additional cost.

Our data point is HAL had us scheduled to arrive in Barcelona on the day of the cruise at 12 noon, ship leaves at 5:00. Too close for us. We paid the deviation fee, will fly in 2 days early, arriving at 9:00 AM. Same routing (DTW-AMS-BCN) but different flights/day. (No non-stops DTW-BCN). Airfare price was the same.

If HAL books your flights for you, and the planes are delayed, does the ship wait? Just wondering since for excursions they would...meaning if they book it the same day that you are to set sail, not days earlier :-)

The NYC airports seem to have delays quite often. HAL might hold the ship for awhile for their flights but some ports charge quite a bit more if you stay as they have to reschedule their pilots etc. Unions are strong in Italy.

The NYC airports seem to have delays quite often. HAL might hold the ship for awhile for their flights but some ports charge quite a bit more if you stay as they have to reschedule their pilots etc. Unions are strong in Italy.

You got that right!

Its always best to sail in a day early and then getting to the ship on time is less problematic.

Smooth sailing...

If HAL books your flights for you, and the planes are delayed, does the ship wait? Just wondering since for excursions they would...meaning if they book it the same day that you are to set sail, not days earlier :-)

To quote a famous lawyer, "It depends". Usually the ship will not wait very long if at all. If a charter flight or regular scheduled flight is late with a large number of passengers (10+) on board the ship might wait 1 or 2 hours. If only 2-4 people, they will sail and attempt to get you to the next port of call by plane, train, bus etc.

A few years ago out of San Juan P.R. a charter flight from Las Vegas was delayed in bound. 150+ passengers on board. The ship waited 2 hours for them to make it. 4-5 buses pulled up and everybody ran for the ship. We sailed at 1:00 AM vs. scheduled 11:00 PM. Only going to St. Thomas so no missed ports or delays.

Earlier this year because of the volcanic ash storms a HAL ship stayed an extra day in Venice before starting the cruise to allow passengers to get to the ship.

Best to assume the ship will sail on time with or without you and you will be catching up. Go in 1-2 days early, sail rested, enjoy the local sights, reduce your stress level.

Lastly, buy third party insurance to cover you if this happens.

Archived