Civitavecchia, Italy w/ 16 mo-should we go to Rome?

DahliaMom

My husband & I are travelling at the end of this month on Celebrity Constellation w/ my 16 month old son. We'll be spending a day docked in Civitavecchia, Italy, and I have read that there's not a whole lot do do there; everyone treks 1-1.5hrs into Rome. Does anyone have experience with this? Is this type of excursion doable with a toddler, or have you found more local options to keep everyone entertained? ;) Thanks!!!!

There's nothing worthwhile in the port area. The trek to Central Rome will take at least 90 minutes, and once there it's a lot of walking on uneven cobblestones. It's a very tiring trip, so be prepared for that. If it's hot, which is common, their buses aren't all that great with air conditioned, so that's another consideration.

It's definitely doable to go into Rome with a little one, but I would definitely hire a private driver - and make sure to bring the carseat. We did it with two 4 year old's 3 months ago. Everyone napped on the way back to the ship. I would go see the Colisseum and possibly some other outdoor sites, but definitely not the Vatican tour.

I would go see the Colisseum and possibly some other outdoor sites, but definitely not the Vatican tour.

Wish I had seen this before my trip :rolleyes:. I thought I would be smart and limit our sightseeing to one big thing in Rome since I was with my twin 5 year olds. I chose the Vatican, and it was the only miserable part of our cruise. So much up-this-narrow-staircase, down-this-narrow-staircase and traffic only allowed to move in one direction. I thought we'd be able to just wander like most museums - didn't realize it's bascially following one line the entire time. So I agree with this great advise - hire a private driver or cab (we hired one on arrival with other families from our roll call) and don't do the Vatican - except maybe with a backpack carrier, which would be awkward. Or you could take the train. There are very specific directions with pictures on getting to the train station on the ports of call board here.

Best,

Mia

The idea of a private car and driver is a GREAT idea. That way you can tailor your itinerary to the child. Like others have said, the Vatican is really tough with a young child, but there are lots of other places to see. The Pantheon, Coliseum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and the Circus Maximus. And another great thing with a private car, it will be able to pull up right to the sites, while a tour bus sometimes has to park blocks away and you would have to walk to get there. One thing in the Vatican I could recommend is St Peter's. It's very easy with a stroller and I've not found the lines to be horrible. But remember, no shorts or sleeveless in there.

Your kid will be happy or unhappy with where ever you go- it won't make a big difference to him. But the Italians love kids. Have a lunch or stop in one of the squares where he can run around chasing pigeons- and get some energy out. Be sure you have either a stroller or backpack IF he is used to one. An umbrella stroller is easy, I didn't have a lot of trouble with cobblestones, and he can sleep in it while you sight see. You really should see Rome- it is wonderful. But unless you have special reasons for the Vatican- that trip can take most of the day because of the very long lines. there is so much to see- enjoy.

On our first cruise with our son, then 2 yrs old, we took the train from Civitavecchia to Rome (10 Euro/Person). We had him on our backs in the Ergo Baby Carrier when he was not walking by himself (see picture).

It was hot and we walked a lot. DS slept on our backs and on the train ride back to Civitavecchia, absolutely no problem.

rome.jpg.65a107d5b439d2f1aea8406baa395177.jpg

If you choose to take the train (close to the port, easy to get to), make sure you have the right ticket - there is a fast train (more$$) and a slow train (cheaper). We only had a ticket for the slow train (as most others from the ship) but need a more expensive ticket - did not realize/were not told that there were two trains requiring different tix. The conductor will collect the extra $$.

If you take the train, it is easy to go from the train station to the subway and go to Coliseum/Forum. While a private driver/tour will be easier, driving in will probably take longer than the train. In general, the Med is port intensive so pace yourselves and pick out the 'don't miss' sites.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...thanks for all of the good advice! I think that hiring a private car would be the best option, as we can install the car seat & give my DH a place to nap to/from Rome. We'll stay away from the Vatican so that we can see the other sites that are more flexible with coming & going, like the Colliseum. We'll have both the umbrella stroller & a cicco backpack on the trip, so glad to know that you can navigate pretty easily with the stroller. Great website...great forum...looking forward to our adventure next week!;)

Archived