Verizon Piggy Back Service

capndinghy

I have a Verizon Droid Phone and a mini (read small 10 1/2 in screen) Lap Top Computer. Today I had my phone set up to provide internet to the lap top. The monthly cost is $20 for 2 Gig (which is quite a bit) of internet service. I am hoping this will work well on our upcoming Hawiaii Cruise as we can connect the computer via the phone while visiting the islands.

Of course this will NOT work at sea since you have to be within Cell Phone range.

I Just thought I would pass this on in case anyone is interested.l

I have the Droid and I piggy back my laptop all the time. I don't have any extra charge. I don't plan on bringing my laptop on my next cruise because of the WIFI abilities that the phone has. I can just email, facebook or whatever online I need to. :cool:

Great question.. I called Verizon and was told the only option was to add international dialing to my phone. As far as the data went, they offered me an international Data package for $20 for 2 GB.

With the international dialing, the phone calls are .99 a minute and messages are .50 each to send and .05 each to receive.

Does anyone know how much the roaming charge is for data?

There are NO ship charges.

I am paying $20 extra for the 2GB of data I can 'piggyback' onto my laptop. Since we will be in Hawaii I will not have to have international dialing. The connect charges are domestic covered under existing Droid data plan.

If, for some reason I have this all backwards....Please let me know!! LOL:rolleyes:

Does the data come through the ship's WiFi or does it come by satellite?

I know the ship charges for WiFi connectivity, so that is why I was wondering. I am new to the Droid thing so I don't want to end up paying exhorbitant fees that I could avoid.

Does the data come through the ship's WiFi or does it come by satellite?

I know the ship charges for WiFi connectivity, so that is why I was wondering. I am new to the Droid thing so I don't want to end up paying exhorbitant fees that I could avoid.

NO....This is completely independant from the Ship's wifi. The ship's wifi is extremely expensive. What ever you do...don't hook your Droid up to the Ship's Wifi. I do not think you can accidentalLy do that since one must pay (dearly) for the ship's WiFi service.

THIS WILL NOT WORK AT SEA.

This piggyback will only work when one is in range of cell phone towers. For instance, I will be on the Hawiian cruise so I plan to use the piggy back when we are docked at islands. All of the Hawiaan Islands have Verizon service.

Great question.. I called Verizon and was told the only option was to add international dialing to my phone. As far as the data went, they offered me an international Data package for $20 for 2 GB.

With the international dialing, the phone calls are .99 a minute and messages are .50 each to send and .05 each to receive.

Does anyone know how much the roaming charge is for data?

Hey...just got back from a cruise to the caribbean last week and had to use text (cell phone - verizon) and internet (through the ship). Data is $0.02 KB or $20.48 MB. Pretty crazy I thought. Also, the internet through the ship is $100 for 250 minutes or $55 for 100 minutes. Or you can pay per minute which is $0.75 per minute. I wouldn't have used it if I didn't have to. I ended up with $255 worth of internet charges. Haven't gotten my cell phone bill yet either. Hopefully it won't be too bad since I didn't make any phone calls and only used text messaging. BTW...calls are $2.49 per minute not $0.99 Hope this helps! :-)

This won't help you on your cruise, but, if you go to Tether dot com, they are beta testing a tethering app for android. You can apply to be a beta tester and there is no monthly fees associated from Verizon or anyone. It will save you $20 a month and you will have unlimited data through your data plan. I have the same app on my bb through these folks. It works great anywhere you get a phone signal and is only a $50 one time fee for the app. No monthly fees and unlimited data. I suggest you don't call and ask Verizon about this, although the app can be found on bb app world. For android you will have to go directly to the Tether site.

This won't help you on your cruise, but, if you go to Tether dot com, they are beta testing a tethering app for android. You can apply to be a beta tester and there is no monthly fees associated from Verizon or anyone. It will save you $20 a month and you will have unlimited data through your data plan. I have the same app on my bb through these folks. It works great anywhere you get a phone signal and is only a $50 one time fee for the app. No monthly fees and unlimited data. I suggest you don't call and ask Verizon about this, although the app can be found on bb app world. For android you will have to go directly to the Tether site.

I second this. :) I have Tether for my BB and it's awesome!

There's something out there called PDANet that has tethering for Droids.

With the Droid 2.2 software you can make your phone a 3G hot spot, meaning it's a portable wifi station. Or you can tether via bluetooth. Verizon does charge extra for this service though. You'll need to be on their EVDO network or it'll be $$$$$$$

I have a Verizon Droid Phone and a mini (read small 10 1/2 in screen) Lap Top Computer. Today I had my phone set up to provide internet to the lap top. The monthly cost is $20 for 2 Gig (which is quite a bit) of internet service. I am hoping this will work well on our upcoming Hawiaii Cruise as we can connect the computer via the phone while visiting the islands.

Of course this will NOT work at sea since you have to be within Cell Phone range.

I Just thought I would pass this on in case anyone is interested.l

Just be aware that 2GB is not that much bandwidth.

I used the Verizon Blackberry WorldWide Data service in October 2009 and they prorated it for the time I was on the cruise, and I had no problems using the service on the ship or on shore.. I think it was $14 and change for 7 days. Well worth staying in touch via e-mail and of course posting things on Facebook and making everyone jealous. :D

Archived