Suggestions for gifts to bring back

KimtheCruiser

Two of our neighbors are house-watching and plant-watering while we are gone on the cruise - and of course, we want to bring them something back.

One couple is easy - they are Santa and Mrs. Claus - seriously, they work as Santa and manage a team of Santas from October through Christmas - their home is decorated with Santa "stuff", so I will try to find a Christmas ornament for them.

The other couple are non-drinkers, so a bottle of Tequila is out of the question. Any other ideas? We usually do liquor or rum cakes or Tequila-filled chocolates, but that won't work.

If they like to bake, then Mexican vanilla is always a hit. It's inexpensive and really good stuff (I say this as I munch on a chocolate chip cookie that I baked last night with Mexican vanilla).

Maybe a hammock chair? We've brought several of those home over the years and they are really fun to have around. Great for an afternoon spent reading.

Mexican blankets are also very nice.

Happy shopping!

If they like to bake, then Mexican vanilla is always a hit. It's inexpensive and really good stuff (I say this as I munch on a chocolate chip cookie that I baked last night with Mexican vanilla).

Maybe a hammock chair? We've brought several of those home over the years and they are really fun to have around. Great for an afternoon spent reading.

Mexican blankets are also very nice.

Happy shopping!

I've done the mexican vanilla as gifts too. I can't wait to get back to Cozumel in November because my last bottle is almost gone. I think we need to make a rule that everytime my mexican vanilla runs low we need to go back for more.

Thanks, all - and sorry I was not specific.

We're actually cruising twice this month - so need 2 small gifts - next week is Cozumel and Calica. Then, the end of the month is Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel.

I'll definitely go with the Mexican vanilla for one of the treats - will look for something interesting in Roatan or Belize for the second trip.

You can find really different holiday ornaments, or decorated plates-pottery, etc in the ports. If they like to wear t shirts you'll find lots in ports and some on the ship of a better quality too. Candy is an old standby of course. If you're flying Mexican vanilla is hard to bring back.

OK, so is the mexican vanilla a vanilla extract or the whole pod with the little beans inside? Or can you get either?

The vanilla that everyone gets is in liquid form. Make sure the label says "coumarin free". Coumarin can damage the liver. I had one vendor tell me that there is no problem with having coumarin in the vanilla. :eek: Didn't buy anything from his store.

I was in Los Cinco Soles in Cozumel last week, the location at Puerta Maya pier, buying some small bottles of vanilla and they had the CUTEST little pottery Christmas ornaments. They were on a display right at the store entrance, there were dozens of different styles - smaller ones they had for just a few dollars each. Some of them were Christmas-y like angels, and some were farm animals, little Mexican people, different sea animals, mermaids - very colorful and most of them had little dangly legs. They had a selection of larger ones that were also very pretty - like gourds with nativity scenes in them. I bought about a dozen of the smaller style to give as Christmas gifts to co-workers, teachers, etc.

I always get rum cakes and vanilla for family when we cruise. The coolest thing I bought for myself that everyone who sees it wants is a wooden salad bowl from Roatan I bought outside where the boat docks. It was only 35 dollars or so, and came with the serving spoons and small bowls, and it is beautiful!!!! Next time I go to Roatan, I am getting at least one for my parents.

We bought several wooden items in Roatan. I got a small wooden chest with things (house and flowers) carved out of it. I store change in it. It's beautiful and not very expensive. I also even got some hand painted bookmarks there for $1 each. My kids got puzzles there--a guitar and a puppy, made of wood for $8 each.

The vanilla that everyone gets is in liquid form. Make sure the label says "coumarin free". Coumarin can damage the liver. I had one vendor tell me that there is no problem with having coumarin in the vanilla. :eek: Didn't buy anything from his store.

I read something about the dangers of coumarin a while ago. Here's an article on it:

http://efoodalert.blogspot.com/2008/10/fda-issues-warning-against-bargain.html

OP: Do your friends like pottery? We bought our friend a pottery sun from a small vendor in Cozumel. This one wasn't cheesy, as some of them. She absolutely loved it and put it on her lanai.

Archived