Greetings - Live from Carnival Glory!

nybumpkin

So here it is, Friday afternoon 9/3, and we’re still going to Canada. The game plan, per the Captain in his noontime announcement, is that we will dock in Saint John tonight at 11 and ride out the storm in port. We had great weather (if a little hot) for sailaway yesterday, and once we got through the Narrows the Captain picked up the pace. We’ve been doing roughly 20 knots since we cleared the harbor. Not a rough ride at all, although you can definitely feel some pitching due to our speed. This morning was fairly nice – a bit overcast, but warm. Now it’s pouring rain, but it’s still pretty smooth sailing – they just had to move all the activities indoors or by the aft pool, where the Magrodome is closed.

I really thought this would be a four-day cruise to nowhere. We’ll see what tomorrow brings in port, but so far it’s been a pretty good cruise – not too rough, lots of good activities. A few not-so-good spots – particularly VIP embarkation and the first night for Camp Carnival – but I’d definitely rather be here than at home!

Yogimax, I wouldn't worry about Monday's cruise. The storm should be well past by the time you sail.:)

Good, I'm happy it's working out for you nybumpkin. I was following the prior thread before you guys boarded, & was hoping that it would somehow be OK.

I was actually thinking about all of you yesterday morning on my way into work...I saw the Glory coming up the Hudson & begin her turn into the pier.

Hopefully the rain will eventually stop & everything will turn out well. I hope you're all having a blast!

Hi Kathy. It's now Friday evening in New York City area and not too much going on with Earl as it passes off the coast. News reports some rain along eastern L.I. and active waves along the south shore, but wind not too much of a factor. Hopefully Earl continues to downgrade by the time it passes over Saint John so you're able to enjoy the sights in addition to ship activities. And keep keep reminding yourself you're there and not home. :)

Has the captain announced how long Glory will remain docked in Saint John?

Just as promised, we docked in Saint John late last night – very smooth sailing all the way in. Earl made landfall at 10 this morning in Nova Scotia as a tropical storm. This morning was rainy and windy, and most excursions, ours included, were canceled. (That “rain or shine” policy doesn’t apply to hurricanes.) It didn’t stop a number of people from getting off the ship, at least to go as far as the shopping tent next to the terminal (which was our destination). And I did get Canada mints for our oldest son who’s not along for the ride. The rain stopped around 2 pm, and I can look across the street and see that Steamer’s is doing a rousing business, which is good to see. I am sorry to have missed fried clams for lunch today, though – we opted for lunch on the ship. The sun is out, although it’s still a bit windy, and the Lido deck has come to life.

We sail tonight at 8 pm instead of 6 pm, so hopefully folks will get out and see a bit of Saint John. It’s a nice city with lots of nice people.

Archived