Is Pride of America right for us?

jenmouse

Lately my husband and I have been trying to "branch out" with the vacations we take our sons on, as they are growing older. They are 7 and 12 and we have done the same land vacations so many times (Disney, Gatlinburg TN, Hershey PA). Last year, we took them on a 4 night Disney cruise to the Bahamas. Next year, we are doing a 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on RCCL's Allure of the Seas.

Looking forward, we have contemplated a RCCL Europe cruise, Disney's Aulani resort in Hawaii, and a Hawaiian cruise on Pride of America. We are leaning towards the Hawaiian cruise - the shore excursions in Europe are very expensive, and we would prefer to see a lot of Hawaii, not be stuck in the same hotel for a week.

So, some feedback would be great. Good, bad, in between. . .:p Obviously (from my signature) we have never sailed with NCL. Thank you!

We have sailed the POA three times and are currently booked on a 4th cruise . In our view it is the most covenient and efficient way to see the major Hawaiian islands at a reasonable cost . The ship is well suited for families with children.

If your goal is to see as much of Hawaii as you can, there is no better way to do it! There've been quite a few POA reviews lately so you should find lots of information if you a quick search of the forums. You may have already discovered in your research that this particular cruise is a little different, so you may have to adjust some of your expectations for it. From my own personal experience, it was a great cruise I'd definitely recommend it. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic trip no matter what you decide, Hawaii is incredible!

I have seen some reviews - I am hoping it will be fun for the kids. We want them to broaden their horizons, so to speak - see and do new things. We want them to take new ideas and experiences home with them to share with their family, friends, classmates and teachers. Vacation can be fun AND a learning experience. ;) Even at Disney World, we spend a lot of time on "educational" attractions along with the fun ones.

My husband is excited that formal nights are optional only! I have Fibromyalgia and Rheumatoid Arthritis, so my mobility is becoming more limited as time goes by. I can walk fairly well, but not up to the standards we are used to (theme park touring, for example). It appears that there will be more cruises in our future; it is easy for me to rest while my husband and my sons hit the pools, the clubs. . .whatever. Then we can catch up with each other later.

I will also need to look at shore excursions that will work for my disabilities - I don't need a wheelchair, but I won't be hiking or snorkeling or anything like that!! The big drawback for us is the airfare - all four of us can fly to Florida for a cruise for what it will cost ONE of us to fly to Hawaii. We may just need to bite the bullet, though - the kids are growing up so fast!

Hi Jen!

Good choice, this way to see the Hawaiian Islands. We've done it on the POA twice--mainly to get to see the islands and ports from the sea, since we owned a condo on Maui for over 20 years and have seen all the public islands on land all that time. You will get two overnights, one on Maui and one on Kauai. Rent a car for each of these. Overnight parking on Maui close to the ship can be a problem, though--on our first cruise there were a few spots, but on the second there were none and we just rented the car for one day. Maui no ka oi--Maui is the best, in my judgement! Sights to see and things to do in every direction.

Read up on the various islands, because they are all different, with a great deal of history, scenery and peoples that differ quite a bit. For example, without reading about it first, you would miss driving your rental car from Hilo 25 miles north along the coast to Laupahoehoe, a small peninsula that held a school where 20 young students and 4 teachers were drowned during the April 1, 1946, tsunami. You can drive out on the peninsula, around the school building site, and look back to see the coconut trees growing on the cliffsides over 50 feet above the water. Guess how the coconuts got planted.

Don't expect five-star service on the POA, though we were very lucky with our room steward on our first trip on it. But this is a port-intensive cruise, and believe me, you will have the opportunity to really soak in Hawaii, both old and new, if you put your minds to it.

Have fun!

Jim

Hi Jen! It looks as though I may have stumbled upon a fellow DVC owner? We are in the same boat (no pun intended). My family has gone to Disney World for 2 weeks every year since 2000. My kids are 15, 13 and 8 and even though we still love Disney we are looking to do something new. We will be going to Disney again next summer but in the summer of 2012 we are planning a 2 week trip to Hawaii. The first week we will spend on the POA and the second week at Aulani.

I think the POA is the perfect cruise for us. At first, I was alarmed at the number of negative reviews but then I realized two things: 1) most of the really bad reviews were older when NCL was admittedly having issues with their Hawaiian cruises; and 2) a lot of the bad reviews seemed to be from frequent cruisers who were kind of caught by surprise by the uniqueness of POA.

As far as #1 goes, it does seem that improvements have been made, especially since the fleet was reduced from 3 to 1 ship. As for #2, the last cruise (RCCL) my wife and I took was on our Honeymoon in 1993 (our kids have obviously never been on a cruise) so we will board with no expectations nor will we be making any comparisons.

Initially, we were just going to go to Aulani and island hop but once I started thinking this through (inter-island flights, hotels, etc) it seemed as though it would be a lot of work toplan and quite expensive. That is how I came up with the idea to look into cruises. After reading all of the bad reviews, I began to look into other options but I did not like the itineraries. I did not want to spend 4 or 5 days at sea. I wanted to see Hawaii as much as possible. So everything pointed to the POA and I think it will be perfect for us.

Now you will have to take my opinion with a grain of salt as I have only been researching this for about 4-5 weeks and I have nowhere near the knowledge of the many wonderful experts here on CC. I used to spend all of my time on the DIS boards and only recently found and joined this site. But I have learned so much from these fine folks.

Read through the POA reviews on this site. I think it will help to convince you that you are making a greeat choice.

Good luck!

From your description the Hawaii cruise sounds like the best choice. We just got back from POA last week, and had a great time.

There is so much to see and do there. We rented a car in every port and since you are in the USA there is no worries about driving. With a family, the excursion cost can really add up and you can save a bundle by renting a car.

For example, there is no reason to book a tour to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. The road from Hilo is quick and very easy to drive. The park has excellent facilities and is totally geared to a self-guided tour. The rangers give frequent talks that will be better than any tour guide (they live there after all) and you have the car and the freedom to come and go as you please. On a tour you are always waiting for people to get on and off the bus.

I think it would be a great experience for the kids and you will see and do a lot more than a land-based vacation.

We did a week in Oahu on our first trip to Hawaii, and while we saw much and had a great week, the cruise was 10x better.

Hi Jen! It looks as though I may have stumbled upon a fellow DVC owner?

Actually, we decided not to buy in. My husband doesn't love it as my as my 7 year old and I do (and he hates that we have to go in the summer) - although, we have managed to get there 4 of the past 6 years, alone. :p Plus, I am the type that would feel guilty about going anywhere but Disney World, Disneyland, a Disney cruise, etc. if we were DVC - have to get the value out of the points! So this way, we are free to go anywhere we want, even if it ends up being Disney most of the time!!

I really appreciate everyone's feedback, and I will definitely have to look into some of your ideas. This is looking more and more like a very good idea. When we mentioned it to the boys, they got very excited; especially my 12 year old, and that is rare for him!

We are taking our second cruise in Hawaii, first was on the Pride of Aloha. It is absolutely the best way to get a taste of all the islands. Just take the negatives with a grain of salt. Just think about all the wonderful things you will see and do. Remember do not sweat the small stuff.

I am leaving next week, so don't have as much to share except that it would be an amazing place to take kids if you can afford it! (we aren't--it's our 25th wedding anniversary)

I wanted to address your RA. As far as I know, I don't have fibromyalgia but DO have RA (and have had lower back surgery). I'm 42. I have done a couple of things that have improved my life quite a bit: 1) I had lapband surgery almost two years ago and have lost about 85 lbs (still counting). 2) I have recently started doing hot yoga--and have been amazed at how much more flexible I am. I am finally developing some core strength which is necessary for my back issues. The heat helps my joints so much.

About Maui: my doctor has given me a temporary handicap parking sticker, so I'm hoping to find parking fairly close. I also have a torn meniscus in one knee currently (it's fairly mild).

About activities: I wouldn't rule out snorkeling off the beach. Many places seem to have excellent snorkeling without having to swim out much if at all. Typically, snorkeling is a low-exertion activity if you want it to be. Most snorkeling we have done, we have just floated around and kept our eyes open!! Fins aren't even necessary for this although I would wear water shoes to protect your feet.

Hope this helps!

About Maui: my doctor has given me a temporary handicap parking sticker, so I'm hoping to find parking fairly close. I also have a torn meniscus in one knee currently (it's fairly mild).

About activities: I wouldn't rule out snorkeling off the beach. Many places seem to have excellent snorkeling without having to swim out much if at all. Typically, snorkeling is a low-exertion activity if you want it to be. Most snorkeling we have done, we have just floated around and kept our eyes open!! Fins aren't even necessary for this although I would wear water shoes to protect your feet.

YES--snorkel on Maui, from the beach. This island is a premier spot for this, on the south and west beaches. I suggest several spots south of Kihei, especially Ulua beach, my favorite. The reef on the right (north) protects a very nice large beach and snorkelers really only need a mask and snorkel, although fins help. You don't have to go way out either; fish and coral start right off the beach wavelets. Or go southwest past Lahaina and from Kaanapali north there are lots of similar beaches and inlets to explore. More adventurous snorkelers may want to take a boat (probably a large catamaran) out to Molokini, a partially-sunken crater visible from south Maui. Snorkeling is BIG on Maui.

My husband is excited that formal nights are optional only!

I wasn't aware formal nights are mandatory on any cruise line. I've sailed on Carnival, NCL and Costa and haven't worn a coat and tie to dinner since realizing on my first cruise it's a giant pain in the posterior to pack and wear them on vacation.

I wasn't aware formal nights are mandatory on any cruise line. I've sailed on Carnival, NCL and Costa and haven't worn a coat and tie to dinner since realizing on my first cruise it's a giant pain in the posterior to pack and wear them on vacation.

Cunard has mandatory Formal Nights, if you don't want to dress you can eat in your cabin or go to the buffet but you aren't really welcome to wander around the decks not adhering to the dress code of the evening.

I guess I should have added that we ALWAYS follow the dress code - if it says a suit, my husband will be wearing a suit. I know that it is recommended only, but there is a reason they recommend it. :p

cruise from L.A. to Mexico and then Hawaii...then get on the PoA and do the islands, you'll probably be able to cruise for about the same price of flying if you get a good deal. :)

I wouldn't go to Mexico in a heartbeat. Stay away.

We are taking our second cruise in Hawaii, first was on the Pride of Aloha. It is absolutely the best way to get a taste of all the islands. Just take the negatives with a grain of salt. Just think about all the wonderful things you will see and do. Remember do not sweat the small stuff.

Thank you Sadiecat! I am looking forward to my birthday cruise next year and appreciate the positive comments about sailing Hawaii!

I guess I should have added that we ALWAYS follow the dress code - if it says a suit, my husband will be wearing a suit. I know that it is recommended only, but there is a reason they recommend it. :p

The POA was nice because there were no formal nights at all. We did not have to pack a suit or tie and that was a plus.

They did have a "dress up or not" night. Some folks got dressed up nicely and had pictures made but most, like us, did not.

We also could wear shorts to the dining room except the Liberty or Jefferson's, which were reserved for "elegant casual" attire.

In my opinion, the POA is right for everyone wishing to cruise the Hawaiian Islands. Here's why.....

(1) Most have to fly to Honolulu to catch the ship to take this cruise

(2) Only people wishing to see Hawaii are going to do so.

If they wanted to just cruise on any ship, there are hundreds of ships to choose from that are much closer to home and don't require flying all the way to Hawaii.

(3) There are no sea days. The POA pulls into port every day maximizing your vacation to Hawaii. No other cruise ship sailing in the world can do this...

The POA was nice because there were no formal nights at all. We did not have to pack a suit or tie and that was a plus.

They did have a "dress up or not" night. Some folks got dressed up nicely and had pictures made but most, like us, did not.

We also could wear shorts to the dining room except the Liberty or Jefferson's, which were reserved for "elegant casual" attire.

I did a search to find an answer to this very question. DH does not want to bring a suit for formal night for this cruise. We also follow the suggested dress for the evenings and I was wondering what the "dress up or not" nights were really about. Thank you.

BTW - what is considered "elegant casual" attire for men and women?

HI,

Dress up or not means exactly that. You do not have to wear anything fancier than you'd wear any other night. It's just there for those who want portraits and photos taken in fancy clothes. You may sit next to someone in jeans, for instance.

I'd been a Celebrity and Holland America fan until I found NCL. Sure, I still get cleaned up and wear fresh clothes to dinner, but it is really nice not having to do so.

The crew of Pride of America, almost all being US citizens (although many were not born in the US) removes some of the language barriers you may have encountered on other lines. Very friendly over all. Passengers, as well. Everyone is so excited about being in Hawaii. Crew get off to visit relatives when they have a day off etc.

Food was fine, and we're foodies. No, it's not like Celebrity, so don't expect that. But it is fine. Just order well.

Renting a car that will hold all 4 of you will save lots on excursions. We did it in two ports, Maui and Hilo. We bit the bullet and did a helicopter tour on the half day on Kauai. Would like to have done the same on Maui and flown over to Molokai.

Researching ahead of time is the way to make the vacation memorable. A small car rents for as little as $31, depending on the season, if you can hack that. Other options like SUVs and convertibles go for up to $71 or more per day.

We did not have a problem parking in Maui overnight. There are about 40-50 slots right at the port and if you get back before dark you will probably get one.

Coming in from excursions you will be tired, and you can eat at the 22 hour a day comfort food place, Cadillac Diner, whenever you choose if you are too tired to clean up for the dining room.

We solved the airfare crunch by using frequent flyer miles. They offer the seats something like 330 days before flight, and we just happened to get non-stop flights for 40k points each.

Daughter's work required lots of hotel stays so she had enough Marriott points to get us a room in Waikiki (Courtyard) for 25k points.

Since you don't get ship time in Oahu, you might want to rent a car there, too, with an overnight at a hotel.

There is NO shortage of things to do, places to eat etc. There is also no shortage of on board activities if you are so tired you do not want to do an excursion. Just plan well so you keep ahead of the fatigue.

I have fibro also and have gotten some relief from Lyrica, but it sure makes me sleepy if I'm not always active! I also have plantar fasceitis so I have to wear special inserts (orthotics) which enable me to appear normal. I also use Addidas "slippers" with those exercise pointy things on the inside of the sole. Barefood doesn't do AT ALL. Yet we were able to find lots to do that didn't make my feet or shoulders hurt.

Hope you can pull it off. Have a great cruise/vacation.

I don't know how to forecast the parking possibilities at the pier on Maui. On our first POA cruise, there were two tiny lots for us; they probably held 40-50 cars altogether. On our second cruise, there were none. These two lots were closed and the ones at the pier itself--roomy as it is--were all closed to us, held for excursions and taxis. Who knows what you will find on a particular cruise??

Europe touring does not have to be "expensive". But it takes a certain kind of traveler, who can do stuff on their own.

Hawaii, is one of the cheapest places to tour from a cruiseship. So much is natural beauty, that is easily gotten to via a rental car. Ideal for a cost savings vacation with a family.

But, I wouldn't omit Europe, unless, you only do one trip/year?? There are ways to make it a family project for traveling, and it's amazing how good the funds can build up. :)

Hawaii, is one of the cheapest places to tour from a cruiseship. So much is natural beauty, that is easily gotten to via a rental car. Ideal for a cost savings vacation with a family.

Now if only Southwest would offer a $79 pp fare non-stop from Boston to Honolulu :p

Archived