Shares in Celebrity Cruise Lines

lyntony

I know that if you buy 100 shares in Carnival Cruise Lines, you get an On Board Credit for any future cruises with them.

Does anyone know if this is also true for Celebrity Cruise Lines?

If so, how many shares do you need to buy, and who do you contact to receive the OBC?

Thank you

Lyntony

You must purchase a min of 100 shares of Royal Caribbean. The OBC is much larger than that provided by Carnival. Just remember that the shareholders benefit can not be combined with any other benefit from RCCL. It can be combined with OBC etc from your TA.:D

I know that if you buy 100 shares in Carnival Cruise Lines, you get an On Board Credit for any future cruises with them.

Does anyone know if this is also true for Celebrity Cruise Lines?

If so, how many shares do you need to buy, and who do you contact to receive the OBC?

Thank you

Lyntony

100 shares RCL will get you an on board credit (OBC) but you can't have two OBC from Celebrity at the same time (with few exceptions). Booking a cruise while on board provides the same credit without the risk of capital loss. Unless you cruise enough to absorb the risk think twice.

We just bought some when the price hit $26 but the price fell to $24.00 however we'll use it 4 times before year's end.

The link:

http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-shareholderbenefit

As mentioned there is risk involved when investing. The shareholder's benefit can be suspended or revoked by the company. Owning any stock just for an OBC seems unwise. Remember RCCL traded at less that $10 a share in the recent past and could easily go there again. If owning RCCL fits into an investment plan and you can tolerate the loss of $2500 (depending on today's price), the shareholder's benefit is a nice bonus.:)

As mentioned there is risk involved when investing. The shareholder's benefit can be suspended or revoked by the company. Owning any stock just for an OBC seems unwise. Remember RCCL traded at less that $10 a share in the recent past and could easily go there again. If owning RCCL fits into an investment plan and you can tolerate the loss of $2500 (depending on today's price), the shareholder's benefit is a nice bonus.:)

Sorry, but I keep hearing (seeing) these people say this:

"Owning any stock just for an OBC seems unwise." and it is simply not so!!

I am a math teacher, and the numbers don't lie.....

Where else can you invest $2300 (that's what we bought the stock for 6 or 7 years ago) and recieve $300 to $400 return on that investment every year????

The price of the stock DOES NOT MATTER - - you keep showing that it went down as low as $10 - the truth is, it was down to as low as $5.38 -- But that did not cost me ONE RED CENT. I still kept getting my $100 and $200 OBC with every cruise, and I am STILL getting my OBC every cruise.

If I had put that $2300 into a CD at 2% or even 3% I would have made a whopping $46 or $69 per year.

Now do you want to tell me again that what I did was wrong?????

Oh and by the way, I still own the stock; and if I get tired of receiving my FREE MONEY every cruise I can still sell the stock. (today at $28.27 per share)

Where else can you invest $2300 (that's what we bought the stock for 6 or 7 years ago) and recieve $300 to $400 return on that investment every year????

The price of the stock DOES NOT MATTER - - you keep showing that it went down as low as $10 - the truth is, it was down to as low as $5.38 -- But that did not cost me ONE RED CENT. I still kept getting my $100 and $200 OBC with every cruise, and I am STILL getting my OBC every cruise.

If I had put that $2300 into a CD at 2% or even 3% I would have made a whopping $46 or $69 per year.

Oh and by the way, I still own the stock; and if I get tired of receiving my FREE MONEY every cruise I can still sell the stock. (today at $28.27 per share)

The moral of the story is, "The teachers always right!!!:D

( I hope I spelled everything correctly!!!:p:D)

As long as management and the board continue the shareholder's benefit, we are winning the risk/cost battle by a large margin :). The benefit has been in doubt several times, however and is not a forgone conclusion. They did limit combinability and they could change the program even more at any time. For most of us who cruise often and use the benefit, it does pay. I would guess that most x cruisers own some stock. But would you advise someone who has limited funds available and might not cruise more than once or twice on X to buy RCCL just for the OBC's. And if the OBC's from booking while on a cruise are better than the shareholder's benefit, wouldn,t that mean it would be more costly for a frequent X/RCI/Azamara cruiser to own RCCL stock?

Hi,

Is the credit per cabin or does it apply to each person, so

if my wife had the stock and I booked on board would I get the OBC for

booking on board and would she then get the shareholders credit??

No, it's "per Cabin".... so no need to "book while onboard".

If everyone would STOP doing this, the "Loyalty Ambassadors" would start screaming and maybe RCI would wake up and combine what their customers rightfully deserve.

I'm with you. I spent $1311.00 on 100 shares. Celebrity we have taken 1 cruise already, another this month and 2 more booked. RCL we already get a discount for booking a balcony room. But thinking of doing a inside room for Alaska. 7 day cruise $700.00 and I might get OBC. Got to love it.

Do we get OBC if we go on Azamara? They have a 17 day cruise in Indonesia that looks nice.

Richard:D

The problem with the RCCL stock is that it can rarely be combined with other OBC's.

We received $300.00 OBC from Azamara direct last year, booked another on-board with $200.00OBC and booked a third while on Celebrity with $200.00OBC. RCCL would not have allowed us to use the stock credit.

On the other hand we have Carnval stock and HAL lets you combine hem all (however their book on board amount is much smaller and based on cabin category).

Not that I am disagreeing with you on the math side, but as a CPA, we also look at opportunity cost of the money and affordability of the buyer as well as frequency of usage.

Glad it works for you in buying the stock and you are getting the high benefit since you are an avid cruiser. However, for some newbie’s that only cruise the basic 7 night Caribbean cruise every 3 years, buying the stock may not be as great return from the OBC perspective.

Assuming one picks up 100 shares of stock today at $27/share or $2,700. If they get the $100 OBC discount every 3 years, it’ll be 81 years to get back that initial investment – I think that is considered very long period. Or even if they cruise every year, the return just based on OBC is 27 years.

So it depends on the frequency of the buyer 1) willing to take another cruise down the road 2) willing to stay with the same family of ships (e.g. not jump over to HAL/Disney/NCL) if they do take another cruise.

Then there’s the issue of risk tolerance/need to liquidity. The CD may not earn much, but you have protection of principle. If you need emergency cash and have to sell the stock 12 months from now, you may need to sell it at a loss, so the purchase price does matter.

As with all investment instruments, not everything will be a one size fits all. What works for you may not work for others since everyone’s financial/personal live style is different. So having a disclaimer on buying the stock isn’t a bad thing – one can ignore it if they can maximize the return, but not everyone is able to do so.

You must purchase a min of 100 shares of Royal Caribbean. The OBC is much larger than that provided by Carnival. Just remember that the shareholders benefit can not be combined with any other benefit from RCCL. It can be combined with OBC etc from your TA.:D

I don't think it's much larger based on the fact that you mostly can't combine it with other OBC. Also, with CCL stock, you can use it on several cruise lines. If you're not likely to cruise on another line, then it doesn't really matter. I looked up the following:

100 Shares of CCL stock:

Princess/HAL/Carnival/Cunard/Costa/P&O/Seabourn

6 days or less $50

7 – 13 days $100

14 days plus $250

Mostly can be combined with other OBC for the most part.

100 Shares of RCL stock.

RCCL/Celebrity/Azamara

$250 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 14 or more nights.

$200 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 10 to 13 nights.

$100 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 6 to 9 nights.

$50 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 5 nights or less.

Mostly can’t be combined with other OBC.

The 100 shares gets you a 1 time credit, correct?

No limit. You can use it as often as you feel like cruising. For some avid cruisers like post #7, it works well. But from my post #18, the value may not be there if you don’t cruise regularly.

RCCL has pretty responsive shareholder services. You can email them the info required per the web site and within 2 days, you will get a reply email saying they have applied your credit. Print that out and take it with you to the cruise in case there’s any problem in them not applying the proper OBC to your account.

Archived