National Geographic & Oasis of the Seas

Amazing project but all that glass, all that windage . . . . I'd be interested to see her in a truly rough sea.

She came across the Atlantic in very rough seas last year and seemed to handle herself quite well. Apparently those wind tunnel tests proved to be accurate.:)

Cox Cable in So Cal.

Neither of the shows matched up to what I thought I was going to see.

Man Made was about the Queen Mary 2. Interesting, though it was not the Oasis as I thought it would be.

Largest Cruise Ship was about Oasis so I'm still hoping there's a Freedom episode out there.

She came across the Atlantic in very rough seas last year and seemed to handle herself quite well. Apparently those wind tunnel tests proved to be accurate.:)

I'm curious... The Queen Mary 2 special said that she was specifically built for transatlantic travel. The Oasis was built to code to withstand the rough seas of the Atlantic. Yet lots of other ships (i.e. Voyager of the Seas) make the transatlantic voyage during repositions to Europe. Is no one worried that these ships were not specially built to travel the Atlantic? Has anyone traveled on Voyager during it transatlantic trip? Is it rougher than Gulf travel?

I'm curious... The Queen Mary 2 special said that she was specifically built for transatlantic travel. The Oasis was built to code to withstand the rough seas of the Atlantic. Yet lots of other ships (i.e. Voyager of the Seas) make the transatlantic voyage during repositions to Europe. Is no one worried that these ships were not specially built to travel the Atlantic? Has anyone traveled on Voyager during it transatlantic trip? Is it rougher than Gulf travel?

Apparently very few share your concerns as they make these transatlantics twice a year and usually sail at, our close to, capacity. The Atlantic seas can be quite rough on occasion, but they can also be quite smooth and calm. Seas in the Caribbean can occasionally be just as rough, sometimes rougher. It all depends on weather conditions at the time.

I'm not sure just how much different the construction of the Queen Mary 2 was from that of ships that primarily sail in the Caribbean or elsewhere. How much of what they claim is fact and how much is hype, probably only marine engineers know for certain.

Apparently very few share your concerns as they make these transatlantics twice a year and usually sail at, our close to, capacity. The Atlantic seas can be quite rough on occasion, but they can also be quite smooth and calm. Seas in the Caribbean can occasionally be just as rough, sometimes rougher. It all depends on weather conditions at the time.

I'm not sure just how much different the construction of the Queen Mary 2 was from that of ships that primarily sail in the Caribbean or elsewhere. How much of what they claim is fact and how much is hype, probably only marine engineers know for certain.

I hardly doubt that RCCL and other companies would put their passengers on a ship that is less than seaworthy as it crossed the Atlantic thus my curiosity - "What is the difference?". The show on the Queen Mary talked a lot about the ship being built for transatlantic travel which made me wonder about the comfort level on ships that were used to traveling in the Gulf etc. Obviously, other seas can be rough and the Atlantic can be as smooth as glass. It might just be that the QM2 can travel faster based on its design. A lot of treeking of the design was done as they built the ship to be able to increase her speed while keeping the passengers comfortable. It had stabilizers that could come out very quickly if needed. Cunard and Arison put a lot on the line when they commissioned this ship to replace the QE2. Until the late 50's, ships were the only way to cross the Atlantic. When plane travel became available, passengers numbers changed. Arison felt the tide changing and thought that more and more people would travel for leisure and hoped to lure passengers back with QM2.

It's an interesting show if anyone has a chance to watch it. Both this show and the one about the Oasis are part of the MAN MADE series.

"What is the difference?". The show on the Queen Mary talked a lot about the ship being built for transatlantic travel which made me wonder about the comfort level on ships that were used to traveling in the Gulf etc.

I used to know and Im sure google would answer the question .. there are actually some differences in a ocean liner and a cruiseship.

Here is a thread from 2005, but still relevant...about what is the difference ..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=214334

I could google some more .. but you get the idea.

I used to know and Im sure google would answer the question .. there are actually some differences in a ocean liner and a cruiseship.

Here is a thread from 2005, but still relevant...about what is the difference ..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=214334

I could google some more .. but you get the idea.

Thanks Firefly. That thread is really informative and what I was looking for.

Arison told the shipbuilders it was a no-go if they could not get the balconies on the QM2. They had to work around three limitations. The stack could be just so high for navigation under bridges, the width had to fit through the Panama Canal and the hull was somewhat limited too because of shallow channels. They wanted to adhere to all three limits and still put in the balconies. In the end, they had to give the ship more width (and eliminate transport through the Panama Canal) in order to make the balconies work. The internal stack actually goes up and down when they go under low bridges. Interestingly, the dynamics of the draft makes the ship drop lower in the water as it approaches a bridge. Can't figure that one out. Too technical.

Again.. the show was most fascinating in you get a chance to watch it.

I hardly doubt that RCCL and other companies would put their passengers on a ship that is less than seaworthy as it crossed the Atlantic thus my curiosity - "What is the difference?". The show on the Queen Mary talked a lot about the ship being built for transatlantic travel which made me wonder about the comfort level on ships that were used to traveling in the Gulf etc. Obviously, other seas can be rough and the Atlantic can be as smooth as glass. It might just be that the QM2 can travel faster based on its design. A lot of treeking of the design was done as they built the ship to be able to increase her speed while keeping the passengers comfortable. It had stabilizers that could come out very quickly if needed. Cunard and Arison put a lot on the line when they commissioned this ship to replace the QE2. Until the late 50's, ships were the only way to cross the Atlantic. When plane travel became available, passengers numbers changed. Arison felt the tide changing and thought that more and more people would travel for leisure and hoped to lure passengers back with QM2.

It's an interesting show if anyone has a chance to watch it. Both this show and the one about the Oasis are part of the MAN MADE series.

The difference between the QM2 and other cruise ships is that the QM2 was designed to make crossings on a regular basis. She was designed to take the beating that the north Atlantic can give a ship. Cruise ships are not designed to do task. Occasional crossings-yes.

• 1 month later...

Archived