LIVE from the FREEDOM of the SEAS, Sailing 5 Sep 2010

Trainman-2

I have always thought that these boats are "pretty slick." If you ever get a chance to look at them note that they are double ended. The engines are in modules up on the deck and the pilot house faces both directions. They pull into one place, unload, walk to the back of the pilot house and, like magic, are in the front again and pull away from the dock. I assume the propellers are either electric or hydraulic powered.

It is a slick, safe, and efficient design and you will see them all over the Caribbean.

DSCN0711.jpg

This drug store had a constant stream of people in and out of it. I could never buy drugs from a place like this because I would always wonder what I was getting.

DSCN0710.jpg

I have purchased penicillin from there a couple of times. Twice a year I will get a sinus infection (yes, I know, TMI ;) )and the Dr. will give me antibiotics and sinus pill. I now take generic Zrtec and the penicillin from Mexico and save myself about $200 a year and doctor myself.

Trainman, keep it comming.

The main thing you want to do, ENJOY the last couple days of your cruise!!! Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as we will reading about it. ;)

Tim

Edited by HB Cruiser

Here are some photo's of what will always be, to me, Carol's last balcony.

She loved sitting on the balconies and listening to and watching the waves.

It looks high in these photos but when I was on it scattering her ashes it seemed like I was right there in the wake of the ship.

DSCN0705.jpg

DSCN0707.jpg

DSCN0708.jpg

Oh my, just when I was able to stop crying, here I go again. My heart goes out to you Trainman.

I enjoying reading all your posts, and wish you well. My family are travelling from Scotland to board Freedom on the 3rd October (western). You will need to visit Scotland where Black Pudding is everywhere, usually served with bacon,sausage,tattie scone,fried eggs,etc. Personally my husband and I hate it!

Trainman thanks for the beautiful pics.

I'm a Scot too and Balck Pudding is a staple. I was going to tell you what was in it but I see you found out. I like a little of it occasionally but I really love Tattie Scones.:D

NOTE TO SELF: Stopping by the Promenade Café on the way back from the Windjammer and picking up a bunch of Chocolate covered donuts was an excellent idea!

This post stuck with me all day:p so guess what I just HAD TO HAVE when i was in the store this afternoon:D:D.Boy,did it taste good!

Trainman, Can you stay on the ship another week? This thread is epic, been reading it non-stop.

I can't wait to try bread pudding for the 1st time in my life when I sail on the Freedom on Oct. 17th.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

I was wondering if he could stay onboard until my sailing on November 14th? :p You would have a bread pudding partner for sure!

Enjoy the rest of your cruise :D

I mostly lurk around reading all the posts on the major lines.I have acquired alot of criusing knowledge,alot of laughs and a few shaking the head why.

But this post has had me run the whole gamut of emotions.Smiles,sadness,

admiration,tears and a very strong desire to eat breakfast.

Trainman,you are doing exactly the right thing-picking yourself up,dusting yourself off and moving forward.Never forget-but keep going forward.May

Carol now rest in peace and may you find peace.

I now have to go back into the kitchen to try and perfect my skills at preparing a Trainmans Breakfast sandwich

Talk about a "Love Story", this has got to be better than the original movie. Going through so many emotions as I read this thread will stay with me forever. Jim, you are an amazing man. You have touched so many lives this past week. I know in your future cruises Carol will still be with you in so many ways. I hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise and any future cruises that are to come. Thanks for taking us with you!

Gwen :)

As I have for the last few days, I came home from work, petted the dogs, changed to comfy clothes then snatched up my laptop so I can see what Trainman is up to. So happy to hear you had better dinner companions and you had a nice visit to Cozumel. Only 9 days left until I am on that beautiful ship with my love...my first toast will be to you, Trainman and your love!

My eyes were too full of tears last evening to respond to this compelling thread. Tonight, as I log on there are already nearly 400 posts. God Bless you, Trainman, enjoy the rest of your cruise and know that your cruise critic "family" is there with you in spirit.

Wow, that is just too bad. These piers are just so long for the elderly and mobily disadvantanged peole on board, it must be sad for them not to be able to make that long trek to shore. I wish they could do somethigng about that, either get a shuttle going for these people or some sort of assistance.

The only long pier with a shuttle is Costa Maya....

It is nearly midnight here but after being out this evening I couldn't go to bed till I had read today's posts form Trainman. Hope you enjoy your evening too Jim. I for one will be quite sad when you get home, not having your thread to read. I feel as though the dozens of us reading here have all been on this special voyage with you. God bless.

Trainman, I am a big believer in personal responsibility, but I really think you should shoulder just a little bit of the blame for me not being able to stick to my pre-cruise diet. :D All those wonderful food pics and references! The bread pudding sounds amazing... I hope they have it on Oasis!

Loved the Photobucket album you posted, wonderful pictures with so much personality showing through.

So enjoying your thread and your journey, thanks again for sharing!