LIVE from the FREEDOM of the SEAS, Sailing 5 Sep 2010

Trainman-2

I've enjoyed your posts very much Trainman. It is a wonderful tribute to Carol. I've always thought I would like my ashes scattered at sea and I'm now sure that is what I want.

I lost my husband of 38 years to cancer 9 years ago so I know what you're going through. I'm blessed with a great family and wonderful friends so I have continued to cruise and always have a roommate. I admire you for going it alone.

You've docked in some places with some really looooong docks! I find it so hard to believe that in these ports some sort of transportation down the pier is not provided for those with mobility issues. Especially at Labadee!

Have fun on the rest of your cruise.

Edited by dixieva

lol, didn't want to say anything when Trainman showed us the black pudding but now you know what it is made of. My mom, a french Acadian, used to make this lots when we were growing up right from scratch. I too found it smelled horrible and wasn't a huge fan. Would only eat a wee bit and that was it. In french we call that Boudin. In english we referred to it as blood sausage.

Muriel

Your story on the black pudding brought back to me memmories of my father.

Here in Ohio it was called "blood ring", or blood pudding. (In those little corner meat stores).

My father used to place it in a frying pan on the stove and the whole house would stink for hours.

When my dad was still alive and we traveled to Frankemouth Mi. I brought back to him this dish.

The store we bought it in they called it black pudding.

He was thrilled to get it.

He said it wasn't as good as Ohio though.

Thanks for reminding me of one of my childhood memories.

Lionesss

Safe travels

Jim,

I haven't seen the often imitated but never duplicated "Trainman Breakfast Sandwich". I tried to make one but I don't think I had the right touch. We are sailing on Explorer tomorrow (that's right tomorrow WHOOPIE) and I shall attempt to honor the master yet again with a valiant effort at this culinary wonder.

Thanks for your thread.

Good morning Trainman, here's to another wonderful day for you! I thought about those chocolate covered dougnuts you mentioned and hoped you weren't taking them ashore with you or they would melt and you would have one heck of a mess on hand LOL! That pier is sure long, I hope they have a shuttle for you or some sort of assistance. Have fun and we'll see you later this afternoon!

Friday, Day 6, September 10,2010

Cozumel, Mexico

Good morning everyone,

The ship is scheduled to arrive in Cozumel at 10:00 am and all passengers are due back on board at 6:30 pm.

I am planning to go ashore and do some looking around and shopping this morning.

I remembered last night that I set up a section on Photo-Bucket "In Memory of Carol" where I have been posting up photos of Carol that I am still finding and are special for me. Here is the link if you would like to see them.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v329/Trainman-2/In%20Memory%20of%20Carol/?start=all

Oh Jim, what can I say. The pics of Carol are wonderful. What a beautiful lady she was. I am very moved sat here at my desk at work.... thank you for sharing your very special memories with us all.

Good morning Trainman, here's to another wonderful day for you! I thought about those chocolate covered dougnuts you mentioned and hoped you weren't taking them ashore with you or they would melt and you would have one heck of a mess on hand LOL! That pier is sure long, I hope they have a shuttle for you or some sort of assistance. Have fun and we'll see you later this afternoon!

Unfortunately, there is not a shuttle at the Cozumel pier...

Unfortunately, there is not a shuttle at the Cozumel pier...

Wow, that is just too bad. These piers are just so long for the elderly and mobily disadvantanged peole on board, it must be sad for them not to be able to make that long trek to shore. I wish they could do somethigng about that, either get a shuttle going for these people or some sort of assistance.

Wow, that is just too bad. These piers are just so long for the elderly and mobily disadvantanged peole on board, it must be sad for them not to be able to make that long trek to shore. I wish they could do somethigng about that, either get a shuttle going for these people or some sort of assistance.

I know when we were there with my MIL,it was too long a walk for her.....they told us they could have a wheelchair meet us and they could wheel her to the end.........they never showed up.......she was forced to walk it since we had an excursion..

Friday, Day 6, September 10,2010Good morning everyone,

I remembered last night that I set up a section on Photo-Bucket "In Memory of Carol" where I have been posting up photos of Carol that I am still finding and are special for me. Here is the link if you would like to see them.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v329/Trainman-2/In%20Memory%20of%20Carol/?start=all

Lovely photo tribute to Carol.

This is by far the most heart tugging thread ever on CC.

Jim, Carol is with you now and forever. Her ashes at sea is one of the most beautiful tributes you could do for her.

That was a very nice memorial that RC wrote for the ceremony, something you should have framed for your home.

I hope you enjoy the remainder of your cruise, Carol is with you!! :)

Ditto! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. And, I totally agree, the greek salad is one of the best reasons to cruise!

Trainman,

I have done my best since joining these boards to read your posts. You can always bring the best out of every situation. The tribute to Carol sounded like it was very very nice, she is with you on that ship, and it sounds like all is going pretty well for you. I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip, and have a great time. Thank you for all the posts from your cruise, they've been great to read as usual.

Trainman, I've been following your thread all week and finally decided to post. I'm going on the Freedom for the first time in November, and I opened your thread earlier this week expecting to see the usual exciting reports and pictures. What I got instead was your wonderful, emotional, thought-provoking story (along with exciting reports and some really beautiful pictures). Tears literally poured down my cheeks as I began reading.

Thank you for sharing with us. Even though most of us on this thread don't know you personally, we feel we have gotten to know a lot about you over the past week. Some of your Windjammer stories have made me laugh out loud! Enjoy the rest of your cruise, and I wish you the best of everything in the future.

Angela

"Do Not Cross The Red Line"

DSCN0698-1.jpg

A couple of years ago, Carol and I attempted to walk ashore here but pooped out before we got there. So we sat on one of the red bollards to rest a bit.

A Mexican Security Guy came rushing up waving his arms around and screaming at us in Spanish.

We had no clue what he was yelling so we continued to sit there resting and smiled at him and nodded our heads a lot.

When Carol said she was ready we got up and moved along.

Here is a close up view. You can see that they are "just right" for two old fogies to sit and rest on.

DSCN0703.jpg

Another excellent lunch in the Windjammer.

RCI's carved meat selections are always good. The Roast Pork today was excellent! Apple Sauce always makes pork better!

DSCN0716.jpg

The Creamy Onion Soup was Excellent also.

I skipped desert again as I am about to head back to the windjammer for warm bread pudding.

My apologies to those of you who are sitting in your offices eating crackers.

Edited by Trainman-2

I stormed ashore this morning (only two stops on the pier to rest) to shop and stimulate the local economy.

DSCN0704-1.jpg

I achieved my goal to buy a nice refrigerator magnet ($1) and then on an impulse bought Carol's son some shot glasses for his collection ($5)

I wandered around about two hours and had a Bahama Mama in one of the bars and then headed back to the ship exhausted. It was hot and humid!

This bar (with the white tower) was jumpin' when I got there and is still jumpin' as I type. I can hear the music well from my balcony.

DSCN0722.jpg

Sorry, I can't remember the name of the place...

Edited by Trainman-2

Here are some photo's of what will always be, to me, Carol's last balcony.

She loved sitting on the balconies and listening to and watching the waves.

It looks high in these photos but when I was on it scattering her ashes it seemed like I was right there in the wake of the ship.

DSCN0705.jpg

DSCN0707.jpg

DSCN0708.jpg