LIVE from the FREEDOM of the SEAS, Sailing 5 Sep 2010

Trainman-2

I just found this thread before retiring to bed last night and I couldn't sign out until I read to the last post! :D I even shared your story with my teenaged son, who hung on to every word of your beautiful story. I fell asleep thinking about you both, Jim and Carol. And I woke up still thinking about you! I immediately ran to the computer to find out how your dinner turned out and as I was scrolling through the thread to find my answer, my teenage son came running downstairs and when he saw me on Cruise Critic, his first remark was...."did Trainman have company at dinner last night?" ;)

So Jim, do you see how many lives you and Carol have touched? My husband and I also spoke about your story on our morning walk today. Being avid cruisers and lovers of the sea, we were both quietly putting ourselves in yours and Carol's shoes as we shared our thoughts.

What a perfect send-off you've given Carol, who is now an "Angel of the Sea". And now, every time you sail, you will again be with Carol.

But, I know Carol will ALWAYS be with you!

mermaid-angel.jpg

I just finished reading each and every post on this very emotional thread. You are a man of courage to undertake this solo journey to say goodbye to your beloved Carol. There are people who strive their whole lives to achieve the love you two had but never quite achieve it. You were blessed to have such a love and that's what makes saying your final goodbye so much harder. No thread ever brought me to tears as this one did and I will remember you and Carol always when I look at the sea.

If there is a chance to print out all of these posts and make a memory book of your final goodbye, it might be comforting. How wonderful you touched so many strangers with your loving story. I read some of your posts to my husband and he was so overcome with emotion he couldn't speak. It would be an honor to meet you and have you as our table mate.

And besides.... MY favorite Windjammer food is also the greek salad. :)

Another Excellent Breakfast in the Windjammer this morning and a Major New Culinary Discovery!

DSCN0667.jpg

You might wonder what the little "Black Thing" is on my plate...

It is "Black Pudding" and I tried it because I like to try new things.

I mean, if necessary, I could always have spit it out and kicked it under the table if I didn't like it.

It is some sort of pork & beef sausage and it was delicious!

In the future, I am going to eliminate the pork or turkey sausages from my plate and replace them with several pieces of this "Black Pudding" stuff. :)

DSCN0671.jpg

On the Freedom it is in the back of the Windjammer near the Eggs to Order Station.

I Googled "Black Pudding" and you are probably better not knowing what is in it or how it is made. Try it, I bet you will like it! :eek:

Friday, Day 6, September 10,2010

Cozumel, Mexico

Good morning everyone,

The ship is scheduled to arrive in Cozumel at 10:00 am and all passengers are due back on board at 6:30 pm.

I am planning to go ashore and do some looking around and shopping this morning.

I remembered last night that I set up a section on Photo-Bucket "In Memory of Carol" where I have been posting up photos of Carol that I am still finding and are special for me. Here is the link if you would like to see them.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v329/Trainman-2/In%20Memory%20of%20Carol/?start=all

The pictures are wonderful,,,thanks for sharing with all of us...Rest in Peace Carol,,,you are very loved:)...

Jim,, Have a good day in Cozumel,,glad you are meeting so many nice people:),,,that's what cruising is all about....

Trainman

Loving your posts and it's a beautiful tribute to Carol. It has touched everyone who has read it but especially those who have lost someone dear to them. Even though Carol is not by your side on this cruise, she will always be with you - in your heart and mind.

Here's hoping that our paths will meet one day on a cruise and we can raise a toast to Carol and absent friends and family.

Now, go and enjoy the rest of your cruise and have some of that deeelicious Greek Salad for me - as I'm currently eating the most boring sandwich for lunch!

All the best

Darren

Another Excellent Breakfast in the Windjammer this morning and a Major New Culinary Discovery!

DSCN0667.jpg

I mean, if necessary, I could always have spit it out and kicked it under the table if I didn't like it.

In the future, I am going to eliminate the pork or turkey sausages from my plate and replace them with several pieces of this "Black Pudding" stuff. :)

DSCN0671.jpg

On the Freedom it is in the back of the Windjammer near the Eggs to Order Station.

I Googled "Black Pudding" and you are probably better not knowing what is in it or how it is made. Try it, I bet you will like it! :eek:

Trainman, I nearly choked on my sandwich when I read this!! Yuumm, pig's blood!!:)

Colossal Mystery of the Sea is Finally Solved!

What happened to Cabin No. 9246?

This photo of my Balcony taken with me backed up against the aft end answers the question.

DSCN0682.jpg

See the line on the deck between the to chairs?

Between me and the line is the balcony size of a regular balcony cabin. I am in a Junior Suite. Where there should have been three cabins between 9244 and 9248, they split what would have been 9246 in half and gave half of the space each to 9244 and 9248 to make two Junior Suites.

So a Junior Suite on the Freedom if 50% bigger than a regular balcony cabin.

I thought this was interesting!

It is more space than I need as a Solo Cruiser but it would have been great when Carol and I were cruising with her son in a regular balcony cabin.

Now you know. :D

I enjoying reading all your posts, and wish you well. My family are travelling from Scotland to board Freedom on the 3rd October (western). You will need to visit Scotland where Black Pudding is everywhere, usually served with bacon,sausage,tattie scone,fried eggs,etc. Personally my husband and I hate it!

Your story on the black pudding brought back to me memmories of my father.

Here in Ohio it was called "blood ring", or blood pudding. (In those little corner meat stores).

My father used to place it in a frying pan on the stove and the whole house would stink for hours.

When my dad was still alive and we traveled to Frankemouth Mi. I brought back to him this dish.

The store we bought it in they called it black pudding.

He was thrilled to get it.

He said it wasn't as good as Ohio though.

Thanks for reminding me of one of my childhood memories.

Lionesss

Safe travels

haha, now that has to be one of the funniest things I've read in a long time. Was wondering what those things were I'd find under the table, guess others didn't like it and kicked them under the table. :)

You're doing great Jim...I 2nd the others in you making this a back to back cruise. :) Can't wait to hear about the rest of your adventures today.

Thank you for taking us on Carols' final journey. It is a wonderful tribute. As others have said, remember and reflect on the good times, but look forward to all the cruises that lie ahead. Perhaps one day we will be on the same cruise and get to meet in person.

We are docking in Cozumel as I type...

DSCN0695.jpg

DSCN0697.jpg

It looks like a long walk along the pier to the shore but it also looks like there is a nice shopping area at the head of the pier.

DSCN0699.jpg

There are no benches so I will definitely need the walker unless there is some sort of shuttle available.

"Do Not Cross The Red Line"

DSCN0698-1.jpg

A couple of years ago, Carol and I attempted to walk ashore here but pooped out before we got there. So we sat on one of the red bollards to rest a bit.

A Mexican Security Guy came rushing up waving his arms around and screaming at us in Spanish.

We had no clue what he was yelling so we continued to sit there resting and smiled at him and nodded our heads a lot.

When Carol said she was ready we got up and moved along.

"Do Not Cross The Red Line"

DSCN0698-1.jpg

A couple of years ago, Carol and I attempted to walk ashore here but pooped out before we got there. So we sat on one of the red bollards to rest a bit.

A Mexican Security Guy came rushing up waving his arms around and screaming at us in Spanish.

We had no clue what he was yelling so we continued to sit there resting and smiled at him and nodded our heads a lot.

When Carol said she was ready we got up and moved along.

Yeah, they are very quick with that, to get you to not cross the red line. Happened to me a couple years ago. So didn't cross it when we were there last year. But while we were there last year, they did do a drill at the dock's where someone fell off the pier. Was quite interesting to watch them simulate a rescue mission. Looked so real too. Was even more entertaining as it was when a buzz caught on from a Very strong drink from three amigo's. Although I think your ship is docked at the opposite pier from three amigo's and senor frogs. If the pier your on is like the other one, they had bikes with seat's on them they would ride people to and from the ship down the pier.

Edited by MrFunInTheSun