Cruising from Galveston- Many Questions??

nae418

Hello All:

I am debating on a cruise from Galveston sometime in 2011, possibly on Carnival's Magic and have some questions. Some questions maybe require answers from those who have flown in or stayed overnite in Galveston, Texas. I read some reviews, but didn't get all the info I needed. I would be flying in from Philadelphia, PA.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here we go:

1. I read somewhere on these boards that someone had a fog issue. Is there a Foggy season in Galveston? or is Texas a foggy state?

2. What are the temperatures in November/December in Galveston (beach weather?)

3. I was thinking about flying in a day or two before sailing, and wondered if I flew to Houston (Hobby). It is better and more to do in Houston or should I make my way to Galveston and stay there until I sail. Has anyone used a van/shuttle service, not a limo service to go from Houston's airport to a Galveston hotel? Is that costly and what was the name of the van/shuttle service?

4. If I stayed in Houston and on my day of sailing, if there was a fog issue would driving to Galveston via van/shuttle be delayed due to poor visability on the roads. I read somewhere Houston is 45 miles from Galveston.

5. This is going to sound like a lot but, Can anyone who has stayed overnight in Galveston, recommend a hotel with these amenities: clean and comfy bed, shuttle to ship, free breakfast, indoor pool and a restuarant that serves breakfast, lunch & dinner that walking distance from the hotel. I prefer 3 1/2 - 4 star hotels, but if the hotel is clean

and room are not too dated, I'd accept a 2-3 star hotel.

6. Coming home from the Cruise, should I opt for a later in the flight, has anyone had a fog issue and flights were delayed?

7. Last question- Montego Bay, Cozumel and Grand Cayman- port side

or starboard? which side does the ship dock?

I know this is asking alot, and I appreciated any information provide.

Thank you and

Happy Sailing to all!!

Try posting this in the port section of this site. There are a few people that live in Galveston and they'll be glad to answer your questions. We've sailed out of there but had no problems with fog. Hope you have fun and Galveston is a nice little town.

Hello All:

I am debating on a cruise from Galveston sometime in 2011, possibly on Carnival's Magic and have some questions. Some questions maybe require answers from those who have flown in or stayed overnite in Galveston, Texas. I read some reviews, but didn't get all the info I needed. I would be flying in from Philadelphia, PA.

Here we go:

1. I read somewhere on these boards that someone had a fog issue. Is there a Foggy season in Galveston? or is Texas a foggy state?

3. I was thinking about flying in a day or two before sailing, and wondered if I flew to Houston (Hobby). It is better and more to do in Houston or should I make my way to Galveston and stay there until I sail. Has anyone used a van/shuttle service, not a limo service to go from Houston's airport to a Galveston hotel? Is that costly and what was the name of the van/shuttle service?

4. If I stayed in Houston and on my day of sailing, if there was a fog issue would driving to Galveston via van/shuttle be delayed due to poor visability on the roads. I read somewhere Houston is 45 miles from Galveston.

5. This is going to sound like a lot but, Can anyone who has stayed overnight in Galveston, recommend a hotel with these amenities: clean and comfy bed, shuttle to ship, free breakfast, indoor pool and a restuarant that serves breakfast, lunch & dinner that walking distance from the hotel. I prefer 3 1/2 - 4 star hotels, but if the hotel is clean

6. Coming home from the Cruise, should I opt for a later in the flight, has anyone had a fog issue and flights were delayed?

Thank you and

Happy Sailing to all!!

Ill take a stab at this... but Im sure Ill miss half your questions.

Unless you are a mall person, there just isnt much to do that is close to the airport if you dont have a car, I would stay in Galveston.

In fact I would stay in Galveston on the Seawall side, unless you are doing Harbor House (next to the port, walking distance and you can watch the ship come in)

Quality Inn and Suites is across from the beach in Galveston and has a indoor pool. I stayed there last January and got a nice upgrade. It has everything except a free shuttle. Its only about 3 miles to the port, and maybe a $12 taxi ride. Breakfast included sausages and make your own waffles and wasnt bad.

Galveston is quite a bit warmer than going out of say New Orleans that time of year but not beach weather. It was 80 degrees the day I stayed there, gorgeous, but the ocean is too cold to swim in, so the indoor pool was used. We even had people BBQing outside the pool area and it was a fun place to stay. Free computer in the lobby you can use. Unless you want to get into big money, there are not many hotels in Galveston with indoor pools.

Holiday Inn has a free shuttle but many complaints and many paid for a taxi rather than wait around for the shuttle which gets over crowded and very very late.

There really isnt a foggy season ..just the weather here can be so changeable and that creates fog unexpectedly.

Fire:

Thank you. I wouldn't mind getting a rental car, if the return location is within reach of the Cruise Terminal. I 've never been to Texas and didn't want to have to worry about getting the car back across town or where ever. I do have a GPS, I could pack.

$12 for a Taxi is not bad..

Quality Inn would have to be my choice. Do you know that area?

Hello All:

Here we go:

Thank you and

Happy Sailing to all!!

We will be sailing out of Galveston for the 4th time next month. We drive so I can't help you on the flight questions. There are a lot of hotels that offer a shuttle to the ship in Galveston. You probably would get better responses on the Gulf departure board.

Fog: Can be an issue in winter months, driving wouldn't be an issue, ships can't get in or out when the port is shut down due to fog.

Temps: Winter months can be cool leaving (by Texas standards) but usually by first morning the weather is beautiful. Our January cruise was much cooler than normal the entire week but temps stayed below freezing several days in Texas so it was a really strong front that pushed all the way down.

Port side should face the terminal in MoBay, Grand Cayman is a tender port so it doesn't matter. Coz kind of depends on which side of the dock, last time we were there, port side looked at the other ship.

Hope this helps a little. Galveston is a 4 hour drive for us so we continue to cruise from there to avoid having to fly.

Happy Cruising!

Hello All:

Here we go:

Thank you and

Happy Sailing to all!!

#7 You DEFINITELY want port side cabins. It doesn't matter much in Grand Cayman as that is a tender port but in Jamaica you get to watch the marching band and in Cozumel you get to watch for runners. We always make a point of booking port side.

Fire:

Thank you. I wouldn't mind getting a rental car, if the return location is within reach of the Cruise Terminal. I 've never been to Texas and didn't want to have to worry about getting the car back across town or where ever. I do have a GPS, I could pack.

If you are doing Conquest, rental cars dont usually work out. thats why everyone does a shuttle or limo to Galveston. The rental car place is closed on sunday. Problems returning the car.

The hotels that share a shuttle, mostly its all the same shuttle, thats why its so often a problem and late.

There are many hotels on the seawall in Galveston within walking distance to the beach. Econo Lodge being the cheapest. (about $40). Hotel Galvez, is more like a walk up hotel, but many stay there, good price, older hotel.

Harbor House is historic and near The Strand where all the touristy shops are located if you want to buy tee shirts and that kind of stuff. Often its difficult to book for only one night, but January should not be a problem. I was offered Harbor House for $80 on one of the sites I checked hotels out, before booking direct. Iv stayed at other places. Howard Johnsons is not near anything but cruise parking, and had horrible mosquitoes that got into the room. .. but that was Sept. .. but a good reason for staying near the beach, no bugs flying around in the salt air.

Prices during winter are really good. If you pull up any site that shows all the hotels in Galveston, usually 30+ show up. And you will see if any are extra low, thats how I found Quality Inn. Galveston is so small, probably anything near the sea wall will be just fine. I never hear of anyone really saying a hotel in Galveston was awful. Many hotels are like new, because of renovating after Ike.

Fire:

The problem with renting a car is that there are no company's that have a place open on Sunday's (sail day) on the entire island of Galveston.

Galveston is my homeport and I've cruised from there at least 7 times, but only one time have I had a fog delay. Last February the ship was stuck out in the bay and didn't get to the pier until 12:30ish. We didn't start boarding until 5 and we ended up almost overnighting in Galveston since we didn't sail until 4am or so.

I would say fly into Hobby a day or two early, take a cab to Galveston and stay somewhere on Seawall Blvd. Go to www.galveston.com to see all your choices. If you stay at the Hilton or Holiday in or really anywhere along the seawall, there are numerous restaurants within walking distance.

Being from the north you will probably find the beach (which isn't very attractive IMO) enjoyable if it's sunny. For me it's a little too cold unless the temps are in the 80's.

The Magic doesn't get here until November of 2011 so the temps will be in the 60 degree range...after the 1st of the year we have occasional 70+ spurts but we don't have sustained temps in the mid to upper 70's until March or so.

I would probably schedule the ship transfer back to the airport after your cruise.

Hello All:

Here we go:

1. I read somewhere on these boards that someone had a fog issue. Is there a Foggy season in Galveston? or is Texas a foggy state? It's a weather thing and amazingly unpredictable. There's a much better chance for fog mid November through February than any other time of the year.

2. What are the temperatures in November/December in Galveston (beach weather?) Unless a cold front rolls through mid 60s to lower 70s. When a cold front makes its way south it gets pretty chilly.

3. I was thinking about flying in a day or two before sailing, and wondered if I flew to Houston (Hobby). It is better and more to do in Houston or should I make my way to Galveston and stay there until I sail. Has anyone used a van/shuttle service, not a limo service to go from Houston's airport to a Galveston hotel? Is that costly and what was the name of the van/shuttle service? Carnival has a transfer service and there are a number of 'limousine' services that are available. Take a look at Hobby's web site for additional information.

4. If I stayed in Houston and on my day of sailing, if there was a fog issue would driving to Galveston via van/shuttle be delayed due to poor visibility on the roads. I read somewhere Houston is 45 miles from Galveston. Getting to the island is seldom an issue. Fog is normally a localized condition in and near the port.

5. This is going to sound like a lot but, Can anyone who has stayed overnight in Galveston, recommend a hotel with these amenities: clean and comfy bed, shuttle to ship, free breakfast, indoor pool and a restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch & dinner that walking distance from the hotel. I prefer 3 1/2 - 4 star hotels, but if the hotel is clean

and room are not too dated, I'd accept a 2-3 star hotel. There are plenty that meet your needs up to and including clean and comfy bet, restaurant and such but none that are within reasonable walking distance of the port. The Harbor House is an excellent facility but there's no pool, indoor or out, and no shuttle service. The best equipped hotels are on Shoreline Blvd, the seawall, and many provide shuttle service. Restaurants abound but I don't know of any with an indoor pool.

6. Coming home from the Cruise, should I opt for a later in the flight, has anyone had a fog issue and flights were delayed? Later is better especially if the weather may be a factor.

or starboard? which side does the ship dock? The ship tenders into Grand Cayman so the side is a moot point. In MoBay I've seen it both way and the same in Cozumel. It's a toss up...

Thank you and

Happy Sailing to all!!

Bottom line, get to the island the day before, plan a return flight that's later in the day, find a nice place on the seawall ( we like the Hilton...) and prepare for a wonderful vacation!!!

:)

I'll second the Quality Inn and Suites on the Seawall. Just stayed there again on Thursday for the fun of it. $50 for a king suite was just too good to pass up. It is a clean hotel with an indoor pool with key access so you won't get people not at the hotel in the pool. Also all rooms have balconies and can see the Gulf. If you are looking at the hotel the rooms ont he right have the best view. Breakfast is free and have cereal, boiled eggs, bagels, muffins, toast, waffles and sausage. Tortugas is a great Tex/Mex :prestaurant and is right in front of the hotel. No driving. Also just walked the beach to the front of San Luis hotel and there is the Landrys Seafood, I-Hop, and Rainforest Cafe there. Not sure of the shuttle but you can call and ask - the front desk is very nice.

November is usually pretty warm here - 80s and sometimes December is too. But it is hit and miss with the North Cool fronts coming through. January and Feb are our main cold months. It is foggy for the port Dec-Feb or so I think from what the crew on the Ecstasy told me in July - that is when they have more problems getting into port supposedly.

I'd stay in Galveston but then you might be interested in things like the Space Center Houston and might want to stay in Kemah/Clear Lake. I'd stay at least that close to the port. You do have to cross the Causeway into Galveston and if anything is wrong there it could make you miss the ship. Also "The Strand" people are talking about is not on the beach, it has shops and restaurants and is close to the cruise ships but the Seawall part of Galveston is what is on the beach. There are two ways onto the island. One is a ferry from Crystal Beach that you have to drive way around through Anahauc to get to or the Causeway which is the main way unless you live on the East side of Houston. Do fly into Hobby as it is closer to Galveston if you can. :D

Also the Starboard side of the ship in Jamaica faces the peninsula with a few tiny hotels and a marina of boats in front of it and then the ocean behind it. I think it is a beautiful view to enjoy than just people watching at the port. The marching band is great to see just go to that side of the ship about an hour before departure... :) Also the Starboard side of the ship faces the port of Galveston when you leave and can wave to the people on shore. Then I'd go to the port side and watch the boats you pass... Dolphins should be jumping at the rear of the ship as you leave. :) Debbie

I live in Houston so maybe I can help some.

If you can fly into Hobby do it, because it will cost you less to get to Galveston. Hobby is on the south side of Houston and IAH is on the north.

There are so many things to do in Galveston, I would stay there. Houston has a lot to do, but everything is very spread out. Without a car and someone to guide you, you will spend more time driving then sightseeing.

Galveston (like most coastal cities) is very windy. So 75 in winter would be chilly. You can wade, but the water would probably be too cold to swim.

Fog is not a regular or seasonal thing, just depends on the temp. and what fronts have come in.

Have a great time!

We cruised this past March out of Galveston. We stayed at Comfort Suites and was able to leave our car there and take the hotel van to the port. I think it costs like 20 dollars. We are able to get a 20% discount at the hotel using my Farm Bureau discount. We drove to Galveston and it was warm where we live but got to Galveston and it was a cold 55 degrees and I forgot to pack a coat or windbreaker. I went all over Galveston trying to find something but never did find anything that fit me. I ended up staying inside untill we got to Key West and then I bought a windbreaker. By then I didn't need one! We didn't have any fog for this cruise. We are booked to cruise on Feb. 20th next year going to those ports so we will have to wait and see about the fog. Maybe this will help you.

Also there's plenty to do in Galveston there's the Strand, Moody Gardens and many more. Someone already gave you the best place to check out the Island on line www.galveston.com Keep an eye on Hotel.com we got the Harbor House in May for $68 a night! We were house hunting (found one and live here now!) and Cruising on the Ecstasy. Strand is about 2 blocks away, resturants right there. You will have to take a taxi to the beach area and there's no pool. BEST thing is you get to watch the ship come in as it's a quick walk to the Port! You can walk your bags over the morning of your Cruise! :)

Hello:

Wow!!!! :D:D I've gotten some wonderful information!

Thank you all for sharing. I think I'm ready to book my

cabin on the Magic!!! Texas sounds very exciting, can't

wait to get there for my pre-cruise stay.

Happy Sailing everyone!:)

Three are three general areas to stay

On the Gulf (Seawall and Beach) -- Many hotels and motels

On the Bay (Moody Gardens) Resort with lots to do!

Downtown Historic District by Port - (Strand - Old Town) (Harbor House and Tremont Hotels)

see map for visual of Island

go to free internet map

galveston.com ....interact and discover.... map

A map that shows you everything fun to see and do, and the shortest route to get there!

Everything is close any way,

with everything you would do on the island

probably on the two mile wide island and a five mile long area.

Eventhough the island is 32 miles long the rest 28 miles are beach area home developments

Other information

In light of time you want to cruise,

there are three major events to be aware of.

Hotels rooms are few and far between.

And some requiring more than one night stays during that time.

Come and enjoy the fun, :D

or come another time.

Lone Star Bike Rally - 1st weekend in November - 200,000 or more friends

Dickens on Strand - 1st weekend in December - 40,000 or more friends

Mardi Gras - Last weekend in February

and 1st weekend in March and Fat Tuesday - 200,000-300,000 or more friends

Archived