Swan Hellenic Minerva information please

Parapara

We are travelling on this ship next year and would be pleased to hear from people who have travelled on her before. I would love to get more information about the shore inclusive excursions. Are they included at every port? Do they have choices? How good are they?

Another query is what power points there are in the cabin- are they British, American or something else?

Thanks!

We are travelling on this ship next year and would be pleased to hear from people who have travelled on her before. I would love to get more information about the shore inclusive excursions. Are they included at every port? Do they have choices? How good are they?

Another query is what power points there are in the cabin- are they British, American or something else?

Thanks!

The shore excursions are excellent and well run, and there is normally a choice both of excursion and of time of departure. Power points I cannot answer. The ship is fairly old, and does not compare for comfort and food etc. with the luxury lines, but is very good for going somewhere where you really want to see the ports of call which could be difficult to do on your own, like for instance the Black Sea, or some parts of Asia and the Middle East. Probably the majority of the passengers will be from the UK, and over 60. One nice thing is that there is no set dining; arrive when you want and sit where you want during meal hours.

Thank you Lincslady. How long ago did you travel on her? From what I have read it seems there were teething troubles when she first started but recent reviews seem to be good. What is the entertainment on board? I have read there are excellent lectures. Is Bridge played? What sort of entertainment do they have in the evenings?

Any other information by anyone would be much appreciated.

We actually travelled on the old and now reinstated Minerva some years ago, and since on the 'new' Minerva (one of the R ships). The old one was bought back not long ago, as you may know, and they certainly had some problems at first, but I believe she is now improving. I am sure they play Bridge. Yes, they have excellent lectures, relevant to the ports being visited, and the entertainment is low key and fairly upmarket - classical music and the like. She does not have a proper theatre style room, it is pretty much on one level so you need to sit at the front if you want for instance to get a good view of local dancers if they come on for a show. Friends who went recently did say she had improved, but she is certainly not luxury, and the cabins are quite small. However, they are planning to go again, and this is primarily for the interesting itineraries rather than it being a luxury holiday.

Archived