Strange Problem

mandafish

I'm new at this so I booked with TA in sydney, Paid for my cruise in AU dollars that’s all fine!

Went to purchase the soda package for my kids and wine for us and Shore & Land Excursions (thought it would save the hassle)

Problem! On the RCI web site it wants me to pay for it in UK pounds… Now I spoke to RCI and they said its been book out side Oz – in the Uk hence the uk pounds (they cant help).

Spoke to TA and she said she can give me a AU dollar price then we could pay her and she would book it. (i have no control)

Not sure if it sounds right to me ....has any one else come across this

Do we know the cost of drinks packages on board vs purchasing ahead of time?

I'm new at this so I booked with TA in sydney, Paid for my cruise in AU dollars that’s all fine!

Went to purchase the soda package for my kids and wine for us and Shore & Land Excursions (thought it would save the hassle)

Problem! On the RCI web site it wants me to pay for it in UK pounds… Now I spoke to RCI and they said its been book out side Oz – in the Uk hence the uk pounds (they cant help).

Spoke to TA and she said she can give me a AU dollar price then we could pay her and she would book it. (i have no control)

Not sure if it sounds right to me ....has any one else come across this

Do we know the cost of drinks packages on board vs purchasing ahead of time?

Sounds like mebbe your Aus T/A booked through a head office or third party in the UK?

Assuming RCI's currency is USD, you may well get saddled with a double-dose of currency exchange expense on pre-booked stuff, USD to GBP to AUSD. So book stuff when you're on-board - that way, you'll only have one currency exchange USD to AUSD.

BTW, you'll be offered the choice when settling your on-board account- your credit card can simply be charged in USD, or they'll very kindly :rolleyes: offer to charge your card in your card's currency. Don't let RCI convert to AUSD, they'll sting you on exchange rates (at best, 3% above wholesale) & mebbe an admin charge too. Your card company will give you a better exchange rate than any cruiseline, so allow your card to be charged in USD.

One caveat with booking stuff after you've boarded. Most excursions will have plenty of availability, but anything way-out or with limited numbers (hot-air balloon or helicopter trips for instance) may be sold-out ahead of the cruise. May leave you with a choice of excessive conversion charges or being disappointed.

John Bull

Archived