Does the Ship Hold your Passport ?

pratzert

I seem to recall something about the ship taking your passport when you embark and holds it until you disembark.

Can't recall where I read something like that or if it's true. Seems odd they would hold your Passport. What do you show if questioned ashore in a foreign country?

Anyway.... what's the procedure when you board with passports and documents etc ?

We're doing the 14 day Europe on Insignia next week.

Thanks.

Two of my three Oceania cruises, they held my passport. South America/Europe. My Amazon trip they did not. I always take a copy of my passport with me into Port for identification if necessary. :)

Hmmm..... interesting.

Did the ship give you any sort of paper stating that your passport was being kept aboard ?

A friend suggested we make TWO copies of our passports. Keep a copy on us whenever we go ashore and keep the other copy in our cabin. It is MUCH easier to get a replacement Passport if you have a copy of the original.

Hmmm..... interesting.

Did the ship give you any sort of paper stating that your passport was being kept aboard ?

A friend suggested we make TWO copies of our passports. Keep a copy on us whenever we go ashore and keep the other copy in our cabin. It is MUCH easier to get a replacement Passport if you have a copy of the original.

I have always carried 2 copies of my passport as you suggested, one with me at all times and the other in the cabin. I believe that that Oceania will hold our passports until we disembark. See you next week.

Hmmm..... interesting.

Immigration would be my guess for the passports. Yes, I make several copies actually. One in cabin safe, one in my purse and one at home.

Go to www.state.gov/documents/organization19795.pdf page 3

Thanks for all the responses.

Sounds like we should make a Third copy to keep at home.

It was also suggested we write down the numbers of any credit cards we take along with the toll free Cust. Svc number on the card. It makes it easier to report a lost/stolen credit card.

Thanks for all the responses.

Sounds like we should make a Third copy to keep at home.

It was also suggested we write down the numbers of any credit cards we take along with the toll free Cust. Svc number on the card. It makes it easier to report a lost/stolen credit card.

Yes, having lost a credit card overseas, having those numbers written down including toll free/international numbers made the situation a little easier to swallow. I also leave one copy of credit card numbers taken also at home. Oceania's daily Currents has local embassy numbers for each Port that I carry with me usually on the back of my passport copy in the event of a problem. Now that you are prepared, have a wonderful cruise:)

I scan our passports and make 3 copies. I also scan and make copies of the front and back of our credit cards, bank cards, health insurance cards and drivers licences. All of these copies are taken in our carry-on luggage and stored in the onboard safe except for copies of our passports that are carried when we go ashore.

Don

I scan our passports and make 3 copies. I also scan and make copies of the front and back of our credit cards, bank cards, health insurance cards and drivers licences. All of these copies are taken in our carry-on luggage and stored in the onboard safe except for copies of our passports that are carried when we go ashore.

Don

Good suggestions about those other cards too.

Thanks.

Yes, having lost a credit card overseas, having those numbers written down including toll free/international numbers made the situation a little easier to swallow. I also leave one copy of credit card numbers taken also at home. Oceania's daily Currents has local embassy numbers for each Port that I carry with me usually on the back of my passport copy in the event of a problem. Now that you are prepared, have a wonderful cruise:)

THANKS ! Still have to pack.....:eek:

BTW... anyone know what the cost of the laundry service is on board ?

How big is that bag you stuff with the dirty laundry ?

THANKS ! Still have to pack.....:eek:

StanandJim posted this back in February. You can always ask for a second laundry bag.

Yes, such a servive is available, and here are the prices (courtesy of another poster, Wineart):

Regular laundry & dry cleaning service is 2 days (picked up before 9am, returned next day 7pm). There is a 50% express service surcharge for same day service (picked up before 9am, returned 7pm).

Dry Cleaning (clean & press) - Gentlemen – Suit (2 piece) $8.50, Jacket $4.50, Trousers $4.50, Vest $3.00, Shorts $3.50, Coat $7.50, Tie $2.00, Sweater $4.00, Shirt $4.00

Dry Cleaning (clean & press) – Ladies – Dress $7.50, Evening Dress $9.50, Suit (2pc) $8.50, Jacket $4.50, Slacks $4.50, Blouse $4.00, Skirt $4.50, Sweater $4.00, Scarf $3.00, Coat $7.50

Laundry – Gentlemen – Sport Shirt $2.50, Dress Shirt $3.50, Handkerchief $1.00, Socks (pair) $1.00, Pajamas $3.50, Sweatshirt $2.50, Undershirt/T-shirt $1.50, Undershorts $1.50, Bermuda shorts $3.00, Sweater $3.50, Vest $2.50, Slacks/jeans $3.50, Jacket $4.50, Swimsuit $2.00

Laundry – Ladies – Blouse $3.50, Skirt $3.50, Slacks/jeans $3.50, Bra $2.00, Panties $1.50, Undershirt/T-shirt $1.50, Sweatshirt $2.50, Handkerchief $1.00, Dress $6.00, Pajamas $3.50, Bermuda shorts $3.00, Socks (pair) $1.00, Swimsuit $2.50, Sweater $3.50, Vest $2.50

There is no charge for tap water in the dining room, and if you are sailing after April 2010 soft drinks and bottled water will be complimentary throughout the ship :D

A Knitter,

Thanks for the info....

Looks like the Dry Cleaning charge is no more than what I pay at home !

We figure we'd have to have some things laundered before the end of the cruise.

Don't really want to spend my vacation time doing laundry, so I plan on having some items going out in the laundry service.

Anyway.... what's the procedure when you board with passports and documents etc ?

We're doing the 14 day Europe on Insignia next week.

Thanks.

We did not have to hand it in last month in Europe only when we got to Russia (Murmansk) they collected the passports then they were returned after the port stop. I think that was the only Country we had to hand it in to the Purser

In some ports we were required to carry our passports with us when going ashore

I think now in the Schengen countries it is not required for the ship to hold them for clearance

In the past the ship has kept our Canadian Passports even in the Caribbean sailings

We carry a photo copy with us as well as a copy on our USB stick

Lyn

. Oceania's daily Currents has local embassy numbers for each Port

I have never seen the Embassy numbers listed in the Currents

They do put the Port Agent contact info in case you have a problem getting back to the ship on time or miss it

They did have Express Laundry on special some days watch the Currents

We have had our passports collected on several cruises and kept unless the authorities require you the have them and then they are returned for the day.

We were told that our Oceania Card was all we needed to go ashore and local authorities recognized that in place of a passport.

That being said, we always carry a color photocopy of our passport with us ashore (even though we have been told it is illegal to color copy passports!)

We have never been asked for it in all our cruises.

We do carry the name, etc of the port agent.

As I mentioned on another post last year, I scan our passports, then reduce the scan to credit card size. I then print the reduced image on photo paper. The result fits nicely in my wallet or in my wife’s credit card holder. I have used this form of ID to exchange money in banks in Europe.

Don

We have a booklet Bon Voyage, but with the Government offices abroad in it

You can obtain one at

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/publications/menu-eng.asp

Other publications also available

Also you can check their website for offices & who can help in emergencies

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/contact/offices-list_liste-bureaux-eng.asp

Lyn

I have never seen the Embassy numbers listed in the Currents

They do put the Port Agent contact info in case you have a problem getting back to the ship on time or miss it

Sorry, Lyn. I stand to be corrected. I was thinking Port Agent and typing Embassy. Another Senior moment. :D

"It was also suggested we write down the numbers of any credit cards we take along with the toll free Cust. Svc number on the card. It makes it easier to report a lost/stolen credit card. " (I couldn't figure out how to highlight)

Remember toll free numbers do not work outside of the US. There should be a regular phone number to call collect on the back of the card.

There is usually a number listed to use outside the USA, if not on the card then on their web site.

Also it is a good time to clean out the wallet/purse and only take what is necessary. Your Macy's or Chevron card will not work in Italy!

We usually carry one credit card and leave one in the safe in our room as an emergency back up. Everything else stays home including our discount cards for various stores and membership cards unless they provide overseas benefits

You will be surprised how much is in your wallet/purse.

Remember to notify your cards that you are traveling either by phone or on their web site.

I'm jumping in without reading the many posts before mine ...

But only because I've NEVER been on a cruise where they did not hold the passport. Sometimes they return it to you temporarily (say, you're in St. Petersburg and have to show your visa) ... sometimes they return it early. On the Midnight Sun cruise which ended in Copenhagen on 8/10 we received our passports back while we were still in Norway, so we never officially entered Denmark! (This was noted by a customs agent when we left Denmark a week later from another city.)

On that same cruise, we had a day in Murmansk, Russia, and in that case we were given our passports to carry around with us on ship's tours but we turned them in upon re-boarding the ship.

The best thing is to photocopy your passport and carry it around with you. (I know I'm not the first person to say that!) In our experience, the only times we've ever needed that photocopy was when stores wouldn't take your credit card without seeing your passport ... and we haven't encountered that problem recently.

Of course, if you miss the ship and the next port is in another country ... that COULD be a problem! So, another incentive not to miss the ship ...:)

• 2 weeks later...

The idea of a ship retaining my passport is a new one. Of course, we have only been on three cruises (Carribean and Panama canal transit) but we have never encountered this. Glad to have the possibility in mind. Reminds me of what used to happen in European hotels. Maybe it still does.

It is a LONG time since we've encountered European hotels holding our passports. They do take down the information, but they don't hold them anymore. At least in our experience.

But in all of our cruises in the past 10 years or so, cruise lines did hold the passports -- even in the Caribbean. Largely (I believe) this is because it facilitates clearing the ship in ports.

On our Midnight Sun cruise which was mostly Norway (one Russian port, Murmansk, and we terminated in Copenhagen) they returned our passports while we were still in Norway ... so we never had a Denmark stamp. (They returned our passports to us when we left the ship in Murmansk, and then immediately took them back once we re-boarded the ship.)

The lack of a Denmark stamp puzzled the airport customs guy when we flew out of Billund to Heathrow ... But he didn't seem surprised when we explained. So I don't think this is exactly unheard of.

Archived