Lunch @ Labadee

court1683

Cruising with RCI Liberty of the Seas for our honeymoon 10/10/10. I have read a lot of post that state lunch goes quick while on the island of Labadee. if this is the case...will I be allowed back on the ship ifI like? Also, I hear Malfini Beach is nice. Is it worth the $$$ and peace and quiet?

-Future Mrs.

Lunch (a BBQ) is served over a 2 hour (or so) period. I've never seen it all eaten and shut down! Yes...they may run out of potato salad (or something), but they replenish it!

You may come and go all day long if you like....the ship is still open for business! Labadee is now docked, so you can come and go at will.

Labadee is gorgeous....I'm not sure why you'd want to spend money to go from the gorgeous beach that you've paid to use in your cruisefare, to another beach that will cost you even more money.....there are so many places to find "peace and quiet" on Labadee....personally, I don't think Malfini is worth it. You're only there for a short time, anyway (at Malfini, I mean!).

Cruising with RCI Liberty of the Seas for our honeymoon 10/10/10. I have read a lot of post that state lunch goes quick while on the island of Labadee. if this is the case...will I be allowed back on the ship ifI like? Also, I hear Malfini Beach is nice. Is it worth the $$$ and peace and quiet?

-Future Mrs.

We have been to Labadee four times and have never seen them run out of food, even after the prime lunch time hours. Try walking through the straw market, have a bite to eat and a drink, get some sun and beach time all on Labadee. It's a relaxing little place.

Best wishes!

We have been to Labadee four times and have never seen them run out of food, even after the prime lunch time hours. Try walking through the straw market, have a bite to eat and a drink, get some sun and beach time all on Labadee. It's a relaxing little place.

Best wishes!

They ran out of food 2 weeks ago in the Columbus Cove area when i was on the Oasis. Around 1:00-1:30. I had just eaten my lunch and i was going back for a cookie or something and they ran out of hot food. Once people realized that hordes of people came out of nowhere and started piling up their plates with cookies and brownies and other desserts almost like they have never eaten before. If i hadn't eaten i would have been mad at all the rude people around me. (One lady just missed the food and caused a scene). Morale of the story just get there early enough and there will be enough to eat.

In my recent sailing on Liberty of the Seas, we went to Columbus Cove for water toys. We were schedule to go on the toys at 12 noon. I thought it was not good to have a full meal before swimming, so we went for lunch around 1:15pm. Bad idea. They didn't run out of food but they ran out of plates and cups. People used their hand to grab hot dogs. The staff called for some more plates and cups and they arrived 15-20 mins later. By the time I got a plate of food and they started to close down the buffet because we need to return to the ship at 3pm.

With all this talk about food running out: Eat a big breakfast on board before you go. There is never a shortage of food during cruises, right? My problem during cruises is gaining weight. My DW always looses weight... Last cruise my DW tells our friends at a dinner party that she lost 5 lbs. I added "I found them.... twice!" :D

If you're worried..eat early..as it's a long walk on the pier back to the ship..

I went early (waited in line around 11:15am) as the food starts at 11:30. The line gets long really fast when the food comes out! By noon, the lines snake around.

And yes, the boat is quite a ways. Food on the island is typical BBQ stuff.

I stayed onboard the ship for lunch and ate in the dining room (the Windjammer is closed while in Labadee) and then got off the ship at 12:30pm. There were no crowds getting off the ship then and I had a very nice day on Labadee (outdoor spa massage and Snorkel Safari excursion). I too think it's amusing that RCCL offers Labadee as their private beach and then sells an excursion to an even more private beach. But if you don't like crowds and lines it might be worth the money. I don't think I would particularly enjoy Labadee just for the beach.

• 2 weeks later...

“With all this talk about food running out: Eat a big breakfast on board before you go. There is never a shortage of food during cruises, right? My problem during cruises is gaining weight. My DW always looses weight... Last cruise my DW tells our friends at a dinner party that she lost 5 lbs. I added "I found them.... twice!" ”

“They ran out of food 2 weeks ago in the Columbus Cove area when i was on the Oasis. Around 1:00-1:30. I had just eaten my lunch and i was going back for a cookie or something and they ran out of hot food. Once people realized that hordes of people came out of nowhere and started piling up their plates with cookies and brownies and other desserts almost like they have never eaten before. If i hadn't eaten i would have been mad at all the rude people around me. (One lady just missed the food and caused a scene). Morale of the story just get there early enough and there will be enough to eat.”

This is great advance information for my upcoming cruise. I am a trough eater. I will be there as soon as the bbq opens and pull up a chair right at the food tables. No plates or forks necessary. and that takes extra time to get the food to my mouth. I should be done in an hr to an hr and 1/2 so there should be food left for everyone else.

Archived