Early Saver Pricing

chazzeek

I am heading up a family group cruise, we are planing on leaving on liberty or valor out of Miami next summer (later june or early july). we are planing on going on the eastern route. I am kinda doing all the planing and have been talking to the TA, i have been giving everyone some price information. some from our group are still looking at their personal finances and such to determine if they can go. can anyone tell me about early saver rates.

I would like for as many of my family to go, so i don't want them to mist this rate, because i think if the price went up they would pull out. how long could i expect ES to be available? also i would assume that with the price guarantee ES is the best bet any time, but for summer cruises do prices ever go down, or are we seeing the best they will likely ever be?

ES is available for 5 months on 7 day cruises and 3 months before on 5 day or less cruises.

I would sternly warn them about ES... many people have had it bite them later. Do be aware that they can never change a name if someone changes their mind. Never. No exceptions. Plus of course they will never have their deposit refunded.

These are the main things that set it apart from other rates on the downside. My sister now doesnt want to cruise with me, her plans changed, who knew??

Insurance will only cover the $50 pp you lose if you cancel before final payment, the rest of the deposit is held by Carnival for 2 years.

I'm not a huge fan of the ES rate but in our case it works fine. When we book, we go regardless. The only reasons I could see us not going would be a circumstance covered by trip insurance.

On my current booking, when the ES rate expired, the rates went up and up so I don't believe there will be any OBC for me. That's OK as I got a good price and am happy with the rate even if I don't.

Now if these circumstances don't apply to you, you may rethink the ES and it's restrictions.

once i decide i won't be changing my mind, unless for an emergendy that would be insurance covered hopefully. i guess just from looking at the carnival website, i assumed that ES was the obvious option if you were booking early enough to get it.

the only reason i asked, was because some of my family was under the impression that they could make the decision to go at any time before now and the ship leaving, since we are not doing any sort of group or block of rooms. i wanted to warn them that the price they see today, isn't always the price they will see in (a month, December, next spring....)

i just don't want them to think there is no need to commit, just because we are all booking separate.

any other information on rates would be helpful too. this is my first time with this TA, and i think she has my back so far, but its always best to go into the situation with with some education.

thanks everyone

EDIT: (just saw firefly's last post) not a huge group either so odds of pull outs is slim once commitment is made. probably only 5 rooms at most.

once i decide i won't be changing my mind, unless for an emergendy that would be insurance covered hopefully. i guess just from looking at the carnival website, i assumed that ES was the obvious option if you were booking early enough to get it.

the only reason i asked, was because some of my family was under the impression that they could make the decision to go at any time before now and the ship leaving, since we are not doing any sort of group or block of rooms. i wanted to warn them that the price they see today, isn't always the price they will see in (a month, December, next spring....)

i just don't want them to think there is no need to commit, just because we are all booking separate.

any other information on rates would be helpful too. this is my first time with this TA, and i think she has my back so far, but its always best to go into the situation with with some education.

thanks everyone

EDIT: (just saw firefly's last post) not a huge group either so odds of pull outs is slim once commitment is made. probably only 5 rooms at most.

did you ask the TA about charging you for changes or price drops? Some TA's charge $25 per change so if your price drops $20 and they charge $25 you're out of luck.

Bill

I am heading up a family group cruise, we are planing on leaving on liberty or valor out of Miami next summer (later june or early july). we are planing on going on the eastern route. I am kinda doing all the planing and have been talking to the TA, i have been giving everyone some price information. some from our group are still looking at their personal finances and such to determine if they can go. can anyone tell me about early saver rates.

I would like for as many of my family to go, so i don't want them to mist this rate, because i think if the price went up they would pull out. how long could i expect ES to be available? also i would assume that with the price guarantee ES is the best bet any time, but for summer cruises do prices ever go down, or are we seeing the best they will likely ever be?

If it was me planning the cruise, I would have my TA look at both ES rates, as well as Group Rates. Communication between your TA and the group will be very important - so that there is no confusion on anyone's part, I would have the TA send out an email to everyone who is considering this trip, and have them explain all of the costs involved (cabin fee, port charges, taxes, insurance, etc). Like Firefly said, once you book with ES, you cannot make any changes whatsoever - it's one of the negatives of booking this rate.

Regardless, this is a wonderful idea, and I hope that everything works out!

As I said if someone changes their mind before final payment, insurance will only cover the $50 pp that you lost ..not the rest of the future credit that Carnival will hold.

Even if its only 5 cabins, be sure everyone is aware there are no name changes allowed and deposit is nonrefundable.

Also, Im down on ES because in almost every case, where I have booked ES, if I wasnt picky about cabins, I could have booked a guarantee at same or lower price within a month or two of the cruise.

So, dont assume ES is the lowest price. If there is a senior IS rate or a pack n go guarantee that is $40 pp less than you paid...too bad, you cannot price match to a guarantee.

So, make them aware they cannot price match to a lower price if its a guarantee, which carnival is doing more and more so ES folks cannot get OBC.

I had good luck with ES rates, but I know not everyone does. I faithfully watched the prices and when I saw a decrease I completed the forms (we had 2 cabins) and received my OBC. We sailed the Dream on 8/14 with $597 of OBC. I have now booked an Alaskan Cruise and wonder if those prices ever go down.

Bottom line is, you have to follow the instructions on submitting the form and watch for price decreases, and if you can't take the time to do that, you should probably book another rate. Good Luck with whatever you book!

did you ask the TA about charging you for changes or price drops? Some TA's charge $25 per change so if your price drops $20 and they charge $25 you're out of luck.

Bill

I am currently communicating with TA through e-mail only, and currently have that question out. with holiday weekend haven't heard back yet, hoping to get an answer today some time.

As I said if someone changes their mind before final payment, insurance will only cover the $50 pp that you lost ..not the rest of the future credit that Carnival will hold.

Even if its only 5 cabins, be sure everyone is aware there are no name changes allowed and deposit is nonrefundable.

Also, Im down on ES because in almost every case, where I have booked ES, if I wasnt picky about cabins, I could have booked a guarantee at same or lower price within a month or two of the cruise.

So, dont assume ES is the lowest price. If there is a senior IS rate or a pack n go guarantee that is $40 pp less than you paid...too bad, you cannot price match to a guarantee.

So, make them aware they cannot price match to a lower price if its a guarantee, which carnival is doing more and more so ES folks cannot get OBC.

I guess i was misunderstanding the process. i was thinking that ES was the only way to get price match if prices went down (thinking that was the guarantee part).

can you get a group rate even if you don't have 8 cabins booked in the group?

I am currently communicating with TA through e-mail only, and currently have that question out. with holiday weekend haven't heard back yet, hoping to get an answer today some time.

I guess i was misunderstanding the process. i was thinking that ES was the only way to get price match if prices went down (thinking that was the guarantee part).

If you book ES rates, you wouldnt be elgible for any perks. ..not much point except to the person putting together the group. You need 8 cabins with carnival. Sometimes a TA can do it with fewer cabins. Only person who would get a little money back after the cruise would be you. (the one free berth possibly)

Sorry . . . but I booked my insurance thru American Express Travel and it DOES refund my entire deposit if we have to cancel for any of the insured reasons.

Amex refunds for money you have not lost ...thats a new one on me. Remember that Carnival is holding the rest of your deposit ...you have not lost the money.

Maybe if you claim you lost it all they dont bother to check? Thats the only way I know to claim and receive money back that you have not lost.

Remember I am talking about BEFORE final payment, when it only costs $50 pp to cancel and carnival holds the rest of the deposit..

Sorry . . . but I booked my insurance thru American Express Travel and it DOES refund my entire deposit if we have to cancel for any of the insured reasons.

(Before Final Payment!) If you are booked Early Saver there is a $50 cancellation penalty that insurance will cover; the remainder are funds actually heald by Carnival under a FCC issued to you and by definition are therefore not reimbursible - all the Insurance claims processors I've talked to indicate they will one way or the other determine if this is the situation and will not reimburse. If American Express were to determine that you did not lose the funds and that you received a Future CFruise Credit, you'll find that you would not be reimbursed. Cancelling after Final Payment under Carnival's Cancellation Penalties, you'd of course be reimbursed. ken

chazzeek - You might want to thoroughly read & understand the Early Saver Terms & Conditions at bottom of http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/earlysaver/default.aspx

fire and others have pointed out the often overlooked downside(s) of Early Saver. As suggested, You also want to determine if your TA charges to do ES Price Adjustments and charges for Cancellations.

You might want to keep checking for special rates that at least one person in each cabin might be eligible for - Past Guest, 55+, and your state Resident rates (at Carnival Home page do Quick Search for cruise you're interested in and using the 'check specials" link, enter your State and select 55+ and/or Past Guest as appropriate, and follow to the rates page, etc.). With these rates you CAN do name changes even past Final Payment, and you can get Price Adjustments (or cancel without penalty) up to Final Payment.

ken

Do be aware that group rates are HIGHER than ES prices. You dont get those perks unless you pay group rates.

Ken thanks for the back up. I simply think since the days of ES started, that booking as a group isnt all that great of a idea and the OP telling others to book ES.

OP if you arent even getting any perks from the TA for booking, maybe the others want to book direct and have control of things. You now cant submit the price drop form for ES if you book thru the TA, you have to wait until you get the TA to do it.

I would much rather not be stuck with a TA who isnt doing anything for the group.

OP I would suggest just giving them the info and letting them choose which rate they want so you are not responsible when things go wrong (and something small almost always needs to be ironed out).

All you need is the booking numbers tied together, everyone can book with whom them want. Anyone can tie the bookings together.

chazzeek - Just in case you're not familiar with all the "Booking Types' Carnival offers, see below summary:

Carnival offers a number of "Rates" that you can book under, with the indicated limitations and advantages. You can check these rates yourself by going to Carnival.com and using the Quick Search Box to enter your Cruise Parameters and selecting the Check Rates Box and entering your State and selecting Past Guest (if one in your cabin is Past Guest) and/or 55+ (if one in your cabin is 55+):

FunSelect is the standard, worst case most expensive Rate, if you can't find any of the below Promo Rates. If you book this, you can Cancel up to the Final Payment Deadline (60 days before sailing for less than 7-day cruise and 70+ days for longer cruises) and you can switch to any other available rate without penalty before Final Payment Deadline, both without Penalty.

FunSaver (aka "Guarantee" Booking) where you book a Category (Inside IS, OceanView OV, Balcony BL or Suite ST) for a bit less money and agree to accept ANY Cabin/Location within that Category. You're guaranteed the minimum Cabin in that Category, could get a higher cabin in that Category or may even get bumped to a higher Category. Once assigned the Cabin, if you don't like it you cannot give it back.

Early Saver is available until 3 months from sailaway for cruises 5 days or less and 5 months for cruises 6+ days. By booking early you usually get a lower initial rate and get any fare drops in any Rate that you're eligible for (Past Guest, 55+, Resident, Military), until 2 business days before sailing. Limitations include you cannot change/substitute for the passengers on the initial booking, and if you Cancel before Final Payment Deadline, there's a $50pp Penalty and the balance of your Deposit is held for 2 years for a subsequent re-booking. http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/earlysaver/default.aspx

Past Guest - Carnival occasionally offers reduced fares (AND included upgrades, such as book 4A and get 4D) for Past Guests. If you book this, you can Cancel up to the Final Payment Deadline (60 days before sailing for less than 7-day cruise and 70+ days for longer cruises) and you can switch to any other available rate without penalty before Final Payment Deadline, both without Penalty.

Resident - Carnival occasionally offers reduced fares for Residents of specific states. You can check this using the Quick Search box. If you book this, you can Cancel up to the Final Payment Deadline (60 days before sailing for less than 7-day cruise and 70+ days for longer cruises) and you can switch to any other available rate without penalty before Final Payment Deadline, both without Penalty.

Military - Carnival occasionally offers Military Rates to those who are Military Eligible. Carnival.com does not display Carnival's Military Rates - You can call Carnival 800 number or Google terms like "Carnival Military Rate" to find on-line sites that do display same. When booking Military Rate, within several days you'll have to FAX or e-mail or mail copy of the Military DD214 showing honorable discharge. If you book this, you can Cancel up to the Final Payment Deadline (60 days before sailing for less than 7-day cruise and 70+ days for longer cruises) and you can switch to any other available rate without penalty before Final Payment Deadline, both without Penalty.

Pack-and-Go - Carnival on Wednesdays offers special Pack-and-Go rates for upcomming (usually closer-in) cruises. These are usually "Guarantee" cabins.

Cash Back - Carnival sometimes offers Bookings with CashBack (OnBoard Credit). Usually these are nothing more than the Promo Rates marked-up for something close to the amount of the CashBack.

You and your family should also consider one of the 3rd Party Trip Insurance Policies versus the Carnival Policy (which is generally more expensive for less coverage, including very minimal medical coverage and marginal MedEvac Coverage).

ken

firefly33

Boy is that good advice. Having organized family vacations my best advice isDON'T .You will be sorry. Give them all the info

and then let them make their own reservations.

I certainly don't plan on booking anything for anyone but myself. all of this info has cleared up a lot of things i kinda already knew, so i thank everyone for their contributions.

as rich suggested we will be passing on the info and letting everyone make their own decisions, and plans. the reason i started this thread, was because my father in law made the comment that since there were no "blocks of rooms" he could book whenever he wanted to. although he is right, I cautioned him that if he waited too long the price could go up.

as far as my original post, all i was looking for was that ES would most likely not be an option after the 5 month mark. that being said i appreciate the additional help i have received, and encourage the discussion to continue as long as necessary.

Here's how I handled one potential cruise with some of my friends as I didn't want to be come an informal travel agent. When I selected a cruise that made sense pricewise and itinerary, I email everyone and told them that I booked the cruise, here is the PVP's name and contact her if you would like to go along. End of story.

It worked fine and got me totally out of the loop.

My advice, do not count on being able to cash in on the Price Protection Policy. I have been denied twice now, and the reasons I have been given was one legitimate (our 8b cabin was not the cheaper price) and the second reason was that the promotion was not compatible with the Early Saver, which to me is BS as the Price Protection says any rate for the same ship, sail date and cabin type.

Seems they use any excuse to try and keep their money. Also, the policy about the "no name changes" is also bad. My TA booked one guest under TBA as I did not have the correct spelling of her last name. He was charged $50 which he covered as he was not 100% familiar with Carnival's policy.

Travel Insurance is one way to protect yourself, but they only cover so many reasons for not being able to make the cruise, and financial reasons or just changing you mind, is not a good reason.

My advice, do not count on being able to cash in on the Price Protection Policy. I have been denied twice now, and the reasons I have been given was one legitimate (our 8b cabin was not the cheaper price) and the second reason was that the promotion was not compatible with the Early Saver, which to me is BS as the Price Protection says any rate for the same ship, sail date and cabin type.

In your other post you stated that you are trying to price match to the pack no go rates, which we all know are always guarantees, and Carnival puts them up exactly so you cannot price match to them.

You were denied a price match to IS and BL because they are not the same category you are booked in.

You have no recourse if you are in a 8B ... but if the other cabin is a 1A ... you could get that one thru, or I could after we established a precedent ..but it took days of arguing, about giving up our 1A and taking the IS.

Seems they use any excuse to try and keep their money. Also, the policy about the "no name changes" is also bad. My TA booked one guest under TBA as I did not have the correct spelling of her last name. He was charged $50 which he covered as he was not 100% familiar with Carnival's policy.

Travel Insurance is one way to protect yourself, but they only cover so many reasons for not being able to make the cruise, and financial reasons or just changing you mind, is not a good reason.

it does appear to me that even without getting any price reductions in the future, the current early saver rate is better than any others. so as long as the restrictions are not a problem, early saver is the way to go.

it does appear to me that even without getting any price reductions in the future, the current early saver rate is better than any others. so as long as the restrictions are not a problem, early saver is the way to go.

Almost every ES rate Iv had, since Im flexible on dates ...had I waited until the last minute Id have done better with a date a week or two either way or a pack n go rate. Cant price match to pack n go rates...

As billy is finding out pack n go rates are better than the rates he booked at and he cant price match to a guarantee.

Archived