LA Port and smoking question

ab0si

I have never been on a Holland American cruise, so please pardon a few basic questions:

1) When Holland America says "Los Angeles" do they mean San Pedro or Long Beach or ...?

2) What is the smoking policy? staterooms? public rooms? etc. Ship the Amsterdam if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

The information is on the HAL site. When viewing the itinerary for your cruise just click on "Los Angeles". One of the options that is available on the page that will appear is 'departure information'. You'll no doubt find out more than you want about the pier(s).

Smoking information is also easily found on the HAL site. I just did a search on smoking to come up with that link.

The information is on the HAL site. When viewing the itinerary for your cruise just click on "Los Angeles". One of the options that is available on the page that will appear is 'departure information'. You'll no doubt find out more than you want about the pier(s).

Smoking information is also easily found on the HAL site. I just did a search on smoking to come up with that link.

Thanks. sorry I missed the smoking information on their site.

Unfortunately, they give (rather complete information) on BOTH Long Beach and San Pedro for the cruise I am considering.

Hi there! All Carnival related ships use Long Beach now, so since HAL is owned by Carnival the ship should be in Long Beach, not San Pedro.

This website shows the ships in port, per month:

http://www.sanpedrocalendar.com/scripts/calcium310.pl?CalendarName=longbeachcruiseship&Op=ShowIt&Amount=Month&NavType=Absolute&Type=Block&Date=2010%2F12%2F1

For example in Dec you see the Amsterdam will be there. Hope this helps! :)

Hi there! All Carnival related ships use Long Beach now, so since HAL is owned by Carnival the ship should be in Long Beach, not San Pedro.

This website shows the ships in port, per month:

http://www.sanpedrocalendar.com/scripts/calcium310.pl?CalendarName=longbeachcruiseship&Op=ShowIt&Amount=Month&NavType=Absolute&Type=Block&Date=2010%2F12%2F1

For example in Dec you see the Amsterdam will be there. Hope this helps! :)

What am I missing? All I see are Carnival departures, not HAL or Princess.:confused:

There is only one berth for a large cruise ship at the Long Beach Cruise terminal (the second one in the pic, Queen Mary, isn't moving;)). Carnival financed the project so they get first dibs with their two ships (Paradise Monday + Friday departures to Baja and Splendor with Saturday departures for the 7-day Mexican Riviera - Carnival Spirit will be home-based at San Pedro next year). So Fri, Sat and Mon are taken up at Long Beach. If there's another ship from the Carnival family coming to L.A. on one of those three days, they will go to San Pedro which has room for three ships at a time.

37999.jpg

HAL ships only come to L.A. anymore on either a Spring or Fall repositioning cruise to/from Vancouver/Seattle, or as part of a World and/or Grand cruise. If a HAL ship comes to L.A. on a week day, they generally go to Long Beach. Princess ships generally use San Pedro.

Ships based full-time out of San Pedro at the moment are RCI's Mariner of the Seas (Sun 7-day Mexican Riviera departures), Princess' Sapphire Princess (Sat 7-day Mexican Riviera departures starting in Nov), Princess' Golden Princess (Wed bi-weekly Hawaii departures), Disney's Disney Wonder (Sun 7-day Mexican Riviera departures starting in Jan 11) and NCL's Norwegian Star (Sat 7-day Mexican Riviera departures starting in Jan 11)

LAharborarea.jpg

Very close proximity of San Pedro (underneath the Vincent Thomas Bridge) to Long Beach cruise terminals (white dome) .Monarch OTS replaced by Mariner OTS - Paradise replaced by Splendor (pic by Cuizer2). Btw, L.A. has plans to build a new cruise terminal in the outer harbor of San Pedro, in the pic right where the small boats are sailing near the piece of land that looks like an arrow head.

Copper, are they using the old spruce goose dome for the ship terminal at Long Beach?

Yes, Ma'am, since 2003 when Carnival put money into it and developed it into their cruise terminal (see the parking structure to the left of the dome). The walkway you see in the pic leads directly from the terminal to the boarding deck of the ship. Mr. Hughes' Spruce Goose was bought by investors, I believe in Oregon, and was moved up there

There is only one berth for a large cruise ship at the Long Beach Cruise terminal (the second one in the pic, Queen Mary, isn't moving;)). Carnival financed the project so they get first dibs with their two ships (Paradise Monday + Friday departures to Baja and Splendor with Saturday departures for the 7-day Mexican Riviera - Carnival Spirit will be home-based at San Pedro next year). So Fri, Sat and Mon are taken up at Long Beach. If there's another ship from the Carnival family coming to L.A. on one of those three days, they will go to San Pedro which has room for three ships at a time.

/quote]

Splendor leaves Long Beach on Sunday, not Saturday.

The Zuidedam is coming into Los Angeles on May 11.2011, after a Panama Canal transit from Ft. Lauderdale. I have checked both the San Pedro and Long Beach port calenders and she does not appear on either one. How do I find out where she will dock. Marvin

The Zuidedam is coming into Los Angeles on May 11.2011, after a Panama Canal transit from Ft. Lauderdale. I have checked both the San Pedro and Long Beach port calenders and she does not appear on either one. How do I find out where she will dock. Marvin

May 11 is a Wednesday so chances are she'll go to Long Beach. Call HAL Ship Services at (800) 207-3547 or at (206) 508-8518 to verify

May 11 is a Wednesday so chances are she'll go to Long Beach. Call HAL Ship Services at (800) 207-3547 or at (206) 508-8518 to verify

Thanks to hbsurf and others who were kind enough to answer my "which port" question.

Copper: Actually, I did call (and email) Holland America. The results:

call: hang on while I look it up... hmm, both ports are listed; hang on ... San Pedro. No, Long Beach .. I think.

email: Long Beach

At any rate, thanks all for your help. I am looking forward to my first HAL cruise.

ab0si: always good to see a fellow amateur radio op on HAL! :) We have sailed on the Amsterdam several times, she is one of our most favorite HAL ships. Hope you like HAL. de w7hmv.

Thanks, Bill.

You've been hamming a lot longer than me. I, too, fell in love with county hunting. I have all but one (bet you can guess which one is missing).

We used to cruise on the Marco Polo (before Norwegian bought and destroyed it). Since then it has been Crystal .. which means rather infrequent cruising due to the cost.:)

My brother and his family are on the Panama Canal cruise on HAL, so I decided to tag along.

73 de AB0SI

• 2 weeks later...

Archived