1st or 2nd night "more" formal?

ColoCruze

Note: It is not my intention to start a new "what-to-wear-on-a-formal-night" thread. :eek: :) (I already know what I'm wearing)

It's been a while since I've cruised on Princess, and I can't remember (and don't know if things have changed anyway) whether either the 1st or 2nd formal night on a 7-night cruise is "more formal" than the other.

I know this may be a totally silly question, but just wanted to check as I have one formal night outfit that's a bit dressier than the other for our Alaskan cruise next week.

Note: It is not my intention to start a new "what-to-wear-on-a-formal-night" thread. :eek: :) (I already know what I'm wearing)

It's been a while since I've cruised on Princess, and I can't remember (and don't know if things have changed anyway) whether either the 1st or 2nd formal night on a 7-night cruise is "more formal" than the other.

I know this may be a totally silly question, but just wanted to check as I have one formal night outfit that's a bit dressier than the other for our Alaskan cruise next week.

Nope, they should be the same. The second formal night will be the Captain's Circle party so maybe the dressier outfit will work better that night for your pics with the Captain... ;)

People seem to dress more formal on the second night on the cruises I've been on. Men who wear tuxes wear them on both formal nights. It could be because it's the Captain's reception and you can have your picture taken with him.

I wore my VERY formal gown for the 1st night, and an almost as formal long skirt and top the 2nd. My son wore his tux the first night and not the second. Everyone else in our party was equally glitzy both nights. We barely got back to the ship in time for the 2nd formal night dinner (early fixed), so I grabbed what I could.

I think the first formal night used to be the most dressy, because of the "Welcome on Board" party. Since they really don't do that any more, I've noticed the 2nd one being dressier now I think because of the Captain's Circle party. I wear a formal gown....the same one both nights...yep! Who the heck is going to remember what I wore and I feel "approprate" on both nights with less packing (One gown, one tux).

I think the first formal night used to be the most dressy, because of the "Welcome on Board" party. Since they really don't do that any more, I've noticed the 2nd one being dressier now I think because of the Captain's Circle party. I wear a formal gown....the same one both nights...yep! Who the heck is going to remember what I wore and I feel "approprate" on both nights with less packing (One gown, one tux).

Oh Murphey!!! You are SOOOOOOO smart!

I think 1st one is more Formal, at least for ourselves. 1st night I wear a Formal skirt and glitsy top, second I wear pants and the same top. We often have a 3rd, to that one I wear a shorter skirt and a less dressy top. I really enjoy formal dining but if it is port-intensive I do get a little tired of dressing up.

I wear the same suit to both nights and just change the shirt and tie. Really, who cares if you wear the same thing?

I wear the same suit to both nights and just change the shirt and tie. Really, who cares if you wear the same thing?

No matter how many formal nights there are during a cruise, I wear the same LBD, and change the embellishments (different jewelry, shawl/no shawl, etc). Makes packing so much easier.

My husband does the same - he only changes the tie because the shirt doesn't get dirty. I wear the same cocktail dress on both nights too (however mine's not an LBD - it's a little dark purple dress). If we drive to the port, my kids will wear different dresses (they have a huge assortment of prom and Sweet 16 gowns that they love to wear again), but if we are flying, they also wear the same "party dress" on both nights.

It's just my observation, but I think more people dress up the first night, and they wear the fancier of the two outfits that they've brought. I also observe more people changing immediately after dinner on the second night than on the first.

Archived