WHAT TO DO? Spouse Doesn't Want To Go On Paid For Cruise

wizard-of-roz

Dear RR Lover,

We are sooo thrilled that he is going! I can understand a little of his reluctance. My late wife was brain injured, but we managed to cruise. It was the best of two worlds for us. She could stay on board and be safe, and I could get some respite from caring for her.

On our last cruise before she passed away, I took a wheelchair and walker for her and she managed quite well.

Wow! Quite a story. The positive memories that you shared with her are exactly why I want to be with him. Thank you.

It's a new day! I have not spoken of the cruise and simply am going about my days as normal.

DH and I went to dinner tonight and he said......"I'm not going to bring a suit along on the cruise, I just want to do nothing. I want to eat, lay in the shade, listen to good music and rest!"

Inside I was screaming, "YES, YES, YES!!!!!" On the outside I said, "I'm just happy to have you along, please do whatever makes you comfortable!"

Between you and I, I'm so glad that he's "onboard" with me! There are no guarantee's in this life and as long as he's in mine, I want to spend time with him. He's a good guy and I've been with him longer than I've been with anyone else in my life.

Again, thank you for all the feedback and wonderful ideas. You're a great group to turn to in time of need!!! :)

Exactly what I hoped would happen. So happy for you. Have a wonderful cruise. :D

I've been following your tale and am also glad your husband will be joining you....

So often I find the best persuasion is to say nothing at all....

You are so right, it's exactly the reason why this worked out so well. It wasn't always easy for me not to express myself [what I was feeling on the inside], I'm so glad I didn't.

So glad your DH will be going with you. The nice thing about cruising is that you can do as much or as little as you want. Who know this may be one of your best cruises ever! Nice quiet time together with no distractions may be just what he needs.

Everything that we're looking forward to. Notice I said "we're!"

Rolls Royce Lover, you and your husband sound a lot like my mom and dad. My Dad: After having had bypass surgery several years ago and then a broken neck (falling down the stairs) the following year, doctors were concerned by his slow recovery. They found he has "IBM," a disease that gradually weakens the muscles. He has trouble standing, but uses an uplift seat at the dinner table. Mom even bought him a recliner that helps him stand up. He has a rollator walker that he often uses when he leaves the house, and at home he uses it as a seat. In restaurants, we have to help him stand up from the chair. (We always have to have a chair for him - he could never get up from a booth even with help.)

There isn't really any treatment for IBM, but it does help to stay as active as possible. Dad goes to the gym for physical therapy twice a week, and Mom has to resist the urge to help him more than necessary because it's not good for him. The less he does for himself, the less he will be able to do for himself.

Mom and Dad still love to travel. It's hard for Dad to get up from a regular-height bed, so his bed at home is on risers. When they travel, Mom brings bed risers along, but they don't work on every bed. When we traveled on NCL, the bed didn't have feet. Mom asked the cabin steward for help, and they brought a second matress to stack on top of the regular matress. It slid around a bit, but did the job. :)

These are just a couple of ideas in case you ever need them. Good luck on your cruise. I'm sure the two of you will have a wonderful time. :D

Exactly what I hoped would happen. So happy for you. Have a wonderful cruise. :D

As the days are going by he is talking about eating Princess pizza and playing a game of tridominoes while sitting outside Explorer's Lounge and walking on the Promenade Deck......Yippeee!

I'm still a bit trepidatious about it but it's so much more fun to look forward to this cruise knowing that he'll be onboard with me!

Rolls Royce Lover, you and your husband sound a lot like my mom and dad. My Dad: After having had bypass surgery several years ago and then a broken neck (falling down the stairs) the following year, doctors were concerned by his slow recovery. They found he has "IBM," a disease that gradually weakens the muscles. He has trouble standing, but uses an uplift seat at the dinner table. Mom even bought him a recliner that helps him stand up. He has a rollator walker that he often uses when he leaves the house, and at home he uses it as a seat. In restaurants, we have to help him stand up from the chair. (We always have to have a chair for him - he could never get up from a booth even with help.)

There isn't really any treatment for IBM, but it does help to stay as active as possible. Dad goes to the gym for physical therapy twice a week, and Mom has to resist the urge to help him more than necessary because it's not good for him. The less he does for himself, the less he will be able to do for himself.

Mom and Dad still love to travel. It's hard for Dad to get up from a regular-height bed, so his bed at home is on risers. When they travel, Mom brings bed risers along, but they don't work on every bed. When we traveled on NCL, the bed didn't have feet. Mom asked the cabin steward for help, and they brought a second matress to stack on top of the regular matress. It slid around a bit, but did the job. :)

These are just a couple of ideas in case you ever need them. Good luck on your cruise. I'm sure the two of you will have a wonderful time. :D

Thank you for sharing your Dad with us.

My DH's health issues are related to Osteoarthritis, Diabetes and acute ongoing Hepatitis. Most of the time he's in agonizing joint pain, jaundice and the loss of sensation in both his hands and feet. He's a very brave man and really has every right to just sit down, give up and do nothing. When he's not having a flare-up he has times when he can thoroughly enjoy life but unfortunately, as he gets older, these times are really few and far between.

I'm looking forward to our November 27th cruise and pray that he'll be feeling well enough to find enjoyment in it.

Thank you for your good wishes and good ideas.

Archived