WHAT TO DO? Spouse Doesn't Want To Go On Paid For Cruise

wizard-of-roz

We have insurance, our cruise is all paid for and my spouse informed me that he doesn't think he can go on the cruise. The cruise is in November.

How do I handle this? I really don't want to share the room with anyone else [except for him!] He's had a change of heart because of some health issues.

I have no problem going myself. We're in a minisuite. Will our insurance re-imburse me for his portion or will I actually be charged another fee? As I said, the cruise is paid in full and I am going.

He says he wants me to go and enjoy the cruise but he'd like to stay close to home. [i think he's feeling tired and finds the prep. and boarding process very exhausting!] He says he'd love to spend the time just relaxing in his Lazyboy! It's not worth the arguing and forcing him to go. Although, he could change his mind....but, I doubt it very much! As he's getting older

Do I inform the TA? Do I call the Insurance Co.? Do I do anything? Someone told me to just go to the dock, as if he's going to be late? Will they let me board without him, under those circumstances?

Any advice would be appreciated. How does one handle this? What would you do?

I don't see how she can cancel the whole cruise since she said it is paid for....so unless she paid it off before final, she's "stuck". I would get with the TA and see what they can work out with Princess. Having insurance is great if he can cancel for a covered reason (and his Dr signs the paperwork accordingly) I would think 1 person could cancel and claim insurance....I doubt that happens often, but I assume it is possible. When you cancel him, you will get refunded for his Gov't taxes.....the rest of his money would have to be run through the insurance company. Let us know how it works out since this is an unusual case

If DH has a verifiable medical reason for cancellation and the insurance company sees this as a covered reason, most likely she can cancel the entire cabin and get a refund. Of course, with insurance, nothing is ever guaranteed until you have the check in hand from them!

Please do not cancel to cruise by yourself. You would then be charged a single s supplement of 30-50% or more. A good policy will pay off his portion and you are already paid for. Just continue on by yourself.

Actually in a mini suite, the charge is normally 200% of the single person rate for a solo traveler. :eek:

I don't see how she can cancel the whole cruise since she said it is paid for....so unless she paid it off before final, she's "stuck"....
As of her post date, OP is 78 days before cruise date, so has 2 days to make up her mind if she wants to cancel the whole thing. I gather not, as she said she is going, period, just wants to know how to handle the hubby.

OP: Call and cancel hubby now (no penalty before 75 days) and re-fare yourself to a single. You will get a small refund, as you only pay the taxes for yourself, not your husband. If he later changes his mind, and there is capacity, you might be able to add him back to the booking.

We have insurance, our cruise is all paid for and my spouse informed me that he doesn't think he can go on the cruise. The cruise is in November.

How do I handle this? I really don't want to share the room with anyone else [except for him!] He's had a change of heart because of some health issues.

I have no problem going myself. We're in a minisuite. Will our insurance re-imburse me for his portion or will I actually be charged another fee? As I said, the cruise is paid in full and I am going.

He says he wants me to go and enjoy the cruise but he'd like to stay close to home. [i think he's feeling tired and finds the prep. and boarding process very exhausting!] He says he'd love to spend the time just relaxing in his Lazyboy! It's not worth the arguing and forcing him to go. Although, he could change his mind....but, I doubt it very much! As he's getting older

Do I inform the TA? Do I call the Insurance Co.? Do I do anything? Someone told me to just go to the dock, as if he's going to be late? Will they let me board without him, under those circumstances?

Based on hubby's responses, I think he'd relish the alone time.

You definitely can board without him.

To avoid questions at the pier, have your TA remove hubby's name from the manifest.

Go and enjoy.:D

Don't know about the insurance.

Since single minisuite fare is the same as double it's doubtful they'll pay unless you cancel the whole cruise.

You don't want to do that and disappoint hubby.

I'm kind of in the same boat, but not at the point of the OP.

Deep in the back of my mind I know my girlfriend is having 2nd thoughts about our planned cruise on the Crown in January. She hasn't come right out and said it, but I know she's thinking it. She's a homebody, like me. And she'll worry about her kids, the house, the pets,....everything....So will I, I guess. But I know I'll get over it if I just forget about it and have fun. In contrast, my GF just isn't capable of letting go of things of that nature.

Not only that I know her mother is having difficulty giving us a firm committment to watch the kids while we're gone. She's said many times over the last few years that she'd watch the kids if we ever wanted to take a vacation. She would be glad to do it and often encouraged us to do something, just the two of us. When we first approached her about the upcoming cruise she was extremely happy to see the two of us go do something on our own...without the kids. But now it seems she's having some 2nd thoughts as well. When my GF and her mother talked about it yesterday, her mother explained "THIS JANUARY?!?!??!" Then acted utterly confused and unsure about the whole thing, the polar opposite of her initial reaction a month or so ago.

So that response, in turn, has reacted on my GFs attitude towards the entire cruise.

*sigh*

Anyways....

I'm going. I'll go alone if I have to. I'm making sure with my TA that I can change the 2nd passenger if necessary. And it might be very close to the departure date before I know for certain. I know my 16 year old daughter would jump at the chance (I'm planning on taking her, just her and I, on a cruise later in the winter/spring anyways) but she'll have exams coming up and her mother, my ex-wife, might have a small problem with us going at that time but I doubt she'd hold her back. I also have a close friend who would likely come if it came down to that.

The flight might be a little more difficult to change names (likely impossible, to be honest), but flight tickets are relatively cheap to FLL in January. So that doesn't concern me.

If insurance will cover it after final payment don't worry about it and don't cancel him. He may change his mind. If he doesn't change his mind, just say he's checking in later and at sailaway time make up some excuse why he didn't turn up;)

I had a similar experience except mine was more permanent. My fiance and myself went on a Christmas Cruise last year - he developed pneumonia and couldn't get off the ship. He wanted to go again this year at Christmas and so I booked it. He died in May. I still wanted to go as I didn't want to be in an empty house at Christmas so I asked my neighbor, a widow, and she is going with me. Our TA was able to change his ticket to her name but that was final payment. Good luck - I wish you well and hope you have a great cruise either way you decide.

Thank you all for the advice. Yes, his condition is definitely pre-existing. And, it has the capability of going into remission and then again being more active. Right now he's in a lot of pain and feeling very tired.

I've decided [with the help of your input] to just leave it alone for right now. I'm not discussing anything with him [at this time!]

Timing could be everything [as far as final date, etc.] but I'm afraid he's not up to even thinking about it right now [and, if we did, it would only be negative!]

He loves Samantha Brown and loves watching her travel experiences....I can only hope that a cruising show comes on [to encourage him!]

If I go to the port, ready to board [and, he's not with me], do I just pretend he's late and, will they let me board?

If she's already paid for 2, then there should be no "single supplement"....she's paid for the "based on double occupancy" rule.

He doesn't have to be with you at all to board, as long as you have the credit card (or other form of payment) for the shipboard account. he simply could "miss the ship".

If she's already paid for 2, then there should be no "single supplement"....she's paid for the "based on double occupancy" rule.

He doesn't have to be with you at all to board, as long as you have the credit card (or other form of payment) for the shipboard account. he simply could "miss the ship".

Not quite true....

The remaining passenger is subject to being refared.

This is what I'm hoping.....I will have the necessary credit card, passport, etc.

Do I just go to check-in and say, "he hasn't arrived yet" and, will they check me in and I just go ahead and board? Or, will they ask me to wait until he arrives to board and then check in later? I like to board early.

If you are insured you could cancel this booking and then re-book for yourself, either the same cruise or a later one? I hope then if you do re-book by yourself that hubby doesn't have a change of heart.Tough one. Good luck.

You don't need to rebook for yourself. Keep your cruise - go and have fun. When you get to check in just inform the agent that your husband was unable to make the cruise. You won't get his portion back - it would be like you were paying for a single which is 200%. I had a cruise planned with my niece awhile back and she couldn't make it at the last moment so I just let them know when I checked in that she wouldn't be boarding so they could take her off the "roster so to speak" and wouldn't be looking for her to board. They will let you board with no problems. If you think there is a slight chance he may change his mind in the next couple of months just keeping your booking as is so that he can come up to the last minute if he so chooses or you can go on your own. BTW, after having sailed with others most of the time it was kind of nice doing the solo cruising thing. There are lots of nice people to meet should you so choose. You get to make your own schedule and do exactly what you want to do when you want to do it. Kind of nice for a change.

You have been planning this for how long? Paid for? GO!

You don't need to rebook for yourself. Keep your cruise - go and have fun. When you get to check in just inform the agent that your husband was unable to make the cruise. You won't get his portion back - it would be like you were paying for a single which is 200%. I had a cruise planned with my niece awhile back and she couldn't make it at the last moment so I just let them know when I checked in that she wouldn't be boarding so they could take her off the "roster so to speak" and wouldn't be looking for her to board. They will let you board with no problems. If you think there is a slight chance he may change his mind in the next couple of months just keeping your booking as is so that he can come up to the last minute if he so chooses or you can go on your own. BTW, after having sailed with others most of the time it was kind of nice doing the solo cruising thing. There are lots of nice people to meet should you so choose. You get to make your own schedule and do exactly what you want to do when you want to do it. Kind of nice for a change.

Right now, It's a "wait and see!" I am definitely going. Thank goodness he can care for himself. I would love him to go with me but it's not a deal breaker if he doesn't.

I've NEVER cruised as a solo or really traveled alone but I'm a very friendly person and love the company of others and look forward to making new friends onboard - or not! I can't even imagine having the bathroom all to myself!

Archived