SONY U60 anyone use?

mslaabs

I'm looking for an inexpensive, underwater digital camera. I've been reading about Sony's DSC-60 and it sounds like it's just what I need. However, I would like to hear from anyone who has used this camera. I'm specifically interested in it's underwater performance. I usually just pack a bunch of disposables, so if the photo quality is comparible (or better)to those then I'm happy. Is there much of a delay between the time you click the button and the time it actually takes the picture? Is the LCD easy to see underwater? Any opinions, good or bad, are greatly appreciated. I'd also like to see any photos taken with this camera, if anyone has some to share.

I have used the U60 before...it is a cool idea, and not a bad little camera for its purpose. But note that the underwater performance is really only for minor snorkeling and such, not diving. The delay on the shutter is fairly short...it isn't class-leading, but without needing to focus or zoom, the little fixed lens can perform very quickly. Its 2 megapixels will allow you to make normal 3x5 or 4x6 pictures at acceptable near-film quality, but no room to blow up any shots. The camera is fairly 'old' tech, having been around for several years now, but still sells for nearly the same price. Pentax also makes a waterproof model, but it isn't designed as much for underwater use as for rain and splashproofing.

My recommendation would be to spend just a touch more money to get ALOT more functionality. Sony makes a new camera called the L1. It is roughly the same size as the U20/30/40 series (smaller than the 60), yet has 4 megapixels, a better sensor, a larger LCD screen (1.5" instead of 1"), a 3x optical zoom, and is ultra-fast. As far as shutter lag, shot-to-shot time, and buffer writing time, it is one of the fastest on the market. The camera sells for $299 from Sony, but can be found for as low as $260 from many different shops and internet stores.

This camera is not waterproof, however Sony makes a case called the "Sport Jacket", a slim, nicely designed and rugged case which the camera can be inserted into rendering it shock resistant and waterproof down to 10 feet (versus only 3 feet for the U60). The camera in the case is not much larger than the U60. You retain all the same functions of the camera while in the case, and the lens and LCD view out of optical quality plastic. The Sport jacket retails at $99 from Sony, but again can be had for around $85 from most retailers.

Your overall investment would be maybe $100 higher, but you'll have one of the faster cameras on the market, a much better 4MP sensor, a 3x optical zoom instead of a fixed lens, deeper underwater capability, and the ability to take the camera out of the waterproof shell to use as a stylish and ultra-small land cam!

Note too that many manufacturers make marine packs for their cameras...including Canon, Casio, Minolta, and Sony for their other models. Most of these tend to be much more expensive though...as they are generally designed for deeper water use. The L1 is the only one I know of that offers an optional marine case for under $100.

Read the warranty carefully! My dad bought a Sony digital 3 years ago, and it had a sticky shutter release 9 months out. Cost him $160 to fix! Based on dpreview.com, I don't think this has changed. Cool camera, bad warranty. Just be sure you factor the cost of an extended warranty into the deal. Good shooting.

That may be an unfortunate side-effect with any underwater design camera. Even if you buy an external case, if something fails and the camera is damaged even due to a faulty waterproofing, it probably still won't cover the camera.

As for Sony's own warranty repair service, I fortunately have never had the need to test it! I hope it covers the camera as advertised, but you'll never know until you are facing a repair.

Thanks for the info zackiedawg. I already own a Sony P10 (5 MP) camera, but am having trouble finding the marine pack for it, as SONY's website no longer carries it. I did find it one place, but it was $200. I'm not so sure I want to risk my P10 getting wet because of a leak or something. I was thinking I could just buy the underwater digital and if it fails for water related reasons, I would still have my "better" camera for dry pictures.

Mountainhouse, thanks for that bit of advice. I had actually "forgotten" about the warranty. I had seen this particular camera on Ebay and was considering bidding on it, but now I think I should stick to store bought cameras so that I can get the warranty.

Read the warranty carefully! My dad bought a Sony digital 3 years ago, and it had a sticky shutter release 9 months out. Cost him $160 to fix! Based on dpreview.com, I don't think this has changed. Cool camera, bad warranty. Just be sure you factor the cost of an extended warranty into the deal. Good shooting.

Sorry, should have been more clear, now that I reread this.... Sony only has 90 days parts on their warranties. This applies to all their digital cameras. That's why I'd either get an extended warranty, or get another brand, since everyone else is 1 year parts/LABOR.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Frank, I just wanted to give a little update in case you were still mulling over ideas for your waterproof camera. Last week, I went out and bought the Sony L1 when I noticed it was on a pretty good sale...$239 at Circuit City and Best Buy, and down to $249 at Sony's own site. So you may be able to find it even less than $239, but at that price it was a pretty easy decision for me to replace my U20. I also purchased the Sport Jacket waterproof casing for it off Amazon for $79. So for a grand total of $318, I now have an ultra-compact 4MP 3x optical camera with soem pretty advanced features for a mini.

The camera has Auto or Program mode, as well as 5 scene modes. In Program mode, you can set white balance and ISO, or leave both in auto. The camera has multi-point-metering or spot-metering, and you can select Auto-focus or Continuous-Auto-focus (in continuous, the lens is always refocusing on whatever it is pointed at, even when you aren't pressing the shutter button halfway...to give you faster response when shooting moving subjects). The camera even has a live histogram in both record and playback mode, something usually not seen on compacts. And it has a focus assist illuminator light for focusing in low light. It even has a heck of a movie mode, with 30 frames-per-second MPEG4 video at 640x480 resolution...equivalent to a Hi-8 camcorder - and with sound! I'm very impressed with this little camera, I must say.

As for the waterproof case...this is something in between a true 'marine pack' and a splash-proofing. It is smaller and lighter than a typical marine pack...when the L1 is encased in the Sport Jacket, the whole package is roughly the size of a normal compact camera. The case is waterproof down to 10 feet - so it is good for general splashing and basic snorkeling...not for scuba. The camera remains 100% functional in the case...all buttons are accessible and usable. Even the flash can be used underwater through the case. I tested the case in my pool and suffered no leaks or problems down to the deep end at 8 feet...so it should be safe for most basic snorkeling use. The case has a wristband and a bright yellow floater ball at the end to raise to the surface if dropped. Taking the camera in and out of the case is a snap - depress the lock button and pull the latch outward...this unseals the o-ring and the case back swings open. The camera sits inside, held in place by small rubber feet, so it can be simply lifted out. Sony supplies o-ring grease for cleaning the o-ring and ensuring a proper seal...and anti-fogger for the glass inside. The o-ring is easily removed for cleaning or replacing if it begins to crack or erode.

All in all, very happy and looking forward to using the underwater case along the Boca Raton reefs this summer. Also, I can use the cam at Disney or the islands when on a cruise without worrying about getting caught in a rainstorm.

If you've already found a solution, or are looking to buy something else, I just wanted to let you know some more details since I made the plunge and took my own advice!

Zackiedawg,

After that review I think I might look into the Sony L1. I still have to justify $300 for a once a year snorkel trip :cool: (already have a nice a digital, but can't get marine case for it).

Well, no pressure. Just wanted to let you know what I've found so far...It's only taken underwater pictures of the bottom of my pool and the bubbles in my jacuzzi, but so far I'm very happy with it! The on-land pictures are very sharp and seem to have very accurate color.

Oh, and sorry for calling you Frank! I looked at the last post when I replied and saw the name, and only after posting did I realize that was MountainHouse's post!

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide to do, and give a little update when you have either fixed your existing or gotten another camera.

Archived