Important Message For Vandrefalk!

CDreamer

Vandrefalk, your email address has been hacked!

Got a bogus "we are stranded in ___ and need cash now" email with your address and name(s) attached.

Another friend of ours was hacked this same way, so I recognized the scam when I opened the email.

Sorry to give you the bad news, but figured you would want to know.

CDreamer

Thank you for letting us know!!

Got a call last night from my brother who had gotten the same message (he called the ship) -- also several emails to SD and a couple of phone messages on my cell.

YUP -- we were hacked. Not sure how it happenned, but did connect with WIFI on my cell yesterday when we were in Paxoi -- the SD computers have protection and so did the hotel in Rome (I think), so it must have been when I was downloading email on the phone yesterday. BUMMER!!!:mad:

We're ok -- just saw the pilot boat waiting to lead us to Kotor so must go. Will try to post on my other thread later today or tomorrow.

Vandrefalk

Thank you for letting us know!!

Got a call last night from my brother who had gotten the same message (he called the ship) -- also several emails to SD and a couple of phone messages on my cell.

YUP -- we were hacked. Not sure how it happenned, but did connect with WIFI on my cell yesterday when we were in Paxoi -- the SD computers have protection and so did the hotel in Rome (I think), so it must have been when I was downloading email on the phone yesterday. BUMMER!!!:mad:

We're ok -- just saw the pilot boat waiting to lead us to Kotor so must go. Will try to post on my other thread later today or tomorrow.

Vandrefalk

Don't worry. Very doubtful that you were hacked. More likely an email that you got had a Trojan in it. Much different than being hacked, where someone gets into your stuff. Just clean it up when you get home.

No need to worry about any of your personal information. All this Trojan does is send emails that look like they are coming from you in an effort to get information from others.

The computer term is "phishing".

Anyone who gets one of these e-mails should delete it without opening and if you open one immediately run a virus scan, because you have probably become infected too.

Vandrefalk, glad you responded, and zqvol thanks for the explanation. Even though I did not realize this was a Trojan (as opposed to being hacked), this happened to another friend of ours months ago so I knew to run a scan afterwards.

Now on to the fun things.... like hearing all about Vandrefalk's Sea Dream adventures!

CDreamer

Archived