Help- need HAL fan opinion of RCI

kent4489

We cruised on the Enchantment in Oct. 2008.

We had to cancel a cruise on the Eurodam at the last minute due to a death in the family and booked the Enchantment shortly after just so we would get to go on a cruise.

We had a good time but the food was not as good as HAL. There was a bad problem with rust in their water. We had a beautiful room - a grand suite with a huge whirlpool tub but when I tried to fill with water, it was disgusting. It left rust stains in the tub and I didn't use it. We had to buy bottled water to drink. There was a lot of talk on the RCI board about this rust problem and they could not fix it without an extensive overhaul to the ship which I don't believe they have done.

That being said .... I would not cruise on this ship again. Did not go to any dance venues but the walking around the deck does not go all the way around like HAL. It ends at the rock wall and you have to turn around and go back. We enjoy walking around the whole ship on the HAL ships.

We are thinking about trying out the newer ships - really enjoyed the Eurodam. Even HAL's ships are beginning to look old and run down. We are sailing on the Zaandam in three weeks and I am anxious to see what shape this ship is in. A lot of bad reviews lately. Didn't have alot of choices to cruise to Hawaii though.

But .... we are thinking about cruising on one of the BIG Mega ships next October. Possibly the NEW Allure of the Seas or Oasis!! :eek: Looks like it would be loads of fun!!

We ran into a couple at the Ft Lauderdale airport that had just came off of the Oasis and they were ranting about how wonderful it was. I asked about the crowds and they said it never really felt crowded because there was so much to do and the people were scattered all over the ship.

so you are posting on a HAL board with HAL fans, however I have taken people on HAL cruises and they do prefer it, BUT there are new experiences out there and if this is the best option, there is no decision, do it. go with an open mind- have a good time and then share with the rest of us.

I would as previously posted get a stateroom large enough that you can sit on a balcony if you want. Have a great time, no worries, be happy:)

I have been on three HAL cruises, all ten years ago or more, and two Royal cruises, one last year and one in 2005.

I am booked on another HAL cruise in November.

I cruised with Royal to be with grandchildren and their parents, and found it great for that. Last year's cruise was in late September, and our children were half of the children on board, so the ship was quiet. It was the Rhapsody of the Seas. The 2005 trip was on Voyager of the Seas in June of that year, so many more children.

I really like cruising and have been on other ships than HAL and Royal, so probably I'm somewhat accepting of different styles.

In my opinion, the little maintenance items were better tended on HAL, but my experience is long ago. I found the food to be just fine on both lines.

Royal still provides a cocktail party for returning passengers, where HAL apparently only does a brunch now, plus the MDR embarkation lunch.

I loved the ice rink on Royal, and the ice show!

There was an elegance on HAL which is missed on Royal, but many in my family would never notice the difference.

A day on board a ship is better than a day at the mall, so an opportunity to cruise, no matter which line, may be better than not going.

RCI is a good product for their market. With RCI, the ship is more of the destination than the ports. I don't care for the open buffet (everyone served themselves). Basically, they're turning into a theme park at sea. I found the service to be more ...what's the word ... indifferent? Also don't car for the extra charges.

HAL is a good product for their market. Fewer children. More 'laid-back' on the activity scene. Not as much of a 'fun, fun, fun atmosphere. You are served in the buffet. the ship is more a luxerious means of getting from one exotic port to another. Crew is much friendlier and engaging.

The first sentence of each paragraph, above, is the most important ....

Archived