Embassy Suite 17th street

huny322

Looking for anyone's experiences/opinions of Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale for a 1 day stay prior to our cruise. We are sailing out of port everglades on our first cruise (carnival) at Christmas time. Any opinions would help in case I need to book a stay somewhere else. Thanks.:p:o

We have stayed there before and are staying there again in January. We loved it. The location was great. There is a grocery store, liquor store and drug store very close. Plus there are many restaurants within a few blocks.

The rooms are very nice, 2 separate rooms. They have the 2 hour happy hour every night with free drinks. The breakfast was great. Eggs made to order, plus anything else you can think of for breakfast.

If you ask for an east facing, high room, you will be able to see the ships docked at port in the morning.

You can walk about 5 blocks and you will be at the water taxi and spend as long as you want on that.

The cab fare was under $15 from the airport and to go go to the port. You can park a car there, but there is a big charge for that.

It was kind of chilly when we were there, but the pool was heated, and the kids loved using it regardless of the cold.

You will love it.

Claudia

It's a nice hotel but I think the rooms are tired. We were just there again last month and had to be moved from our first room because it was dirty. The carpets were stained and so was some of the furniture. Not everything worked in the room. When we checked in and went to our room there was a tray of someone's dirty dishes and glasses right outside our door. Not sure if the maid left it there when she "cleaned" the room or what. It sat there even after we checked out.

The positives are you can't beat the location, the happy hour is nice and the breakfast is great. Paying the parking fee annoys the heck out of me. Some of the front desk staff are just okay and they don't appear to have enough people working.

We've stayed there quite a bit but it's time for the hotel to do an "update".

We have stayed there about 10 times prior to our cruises. It has become part of our cruise tradition... but I agree with both of the above posts... the place is alittle tired and there are a few things that need improvement but the location and bennies are great. There is an Outback Steakhouse right out the back door, a Waxy Oconnors across the street, a Publix, Total Wine, Walgreens,e tc all within an easy walk.

They discontinued the shuttle from the airport a few years ago but its only $15. Transportation to the port is $7 per person.

We will be staying there again for our next cruise.

Although it has been a couple of years since we have stayed here, our past couple of visits were disappointing due to dirty linens on the pull out sofabed and also the main bed (gross!!) Also, the bathroom was not as clean as I feel it should be and non-working electrical outlets.

I haven't read the reviews on Tripadvisor for this location in a while but that may give you a good indication. Although, I think the manager's two hour reception, full breakfast buffet and location may fog some peoples perception. Staying somewhere clean is more important to me.

..............and believe it or not, this hotel, two to three years ago, just finished a complete renovation after hurricane Jeanne did a job on it!!

Edited by jillyfish

Looking for anyone's experiences/opinions of Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale for a 1 day stay prior to our cruise. We are sailing out of port everglades on our first cruise (carnival) at Christmas time. Any opinions would help in case I need to book a stay somewhere else. Thanks.:p:o

What's most important to you?

Price? Shuttles? Suites? Breakfast?

What time does your flight arrive?

Will there be just two of you or the whole fam damily?

• 2 weeks later...

I hope nobody minds that I bump this thread, but it seems like the best place to ask.

I booked this hotel for a cruise in early January 2011. It's one of only a few that seem to allow smoking, and even though my girlfriend says she doesn't mind it's nice to have that extra "smoking" room for me because, deep down, I know she prefers it that way. We always stay at the Embassy Suites in Niagara Falls, Ontario for that reason (plus the view can't be beat.)

But after reading some comments about cleanliness, I'm kind of hesitant now. So the dealbreaker will be their shuttle to Port Everglades.

How often does the shuttle run? I imagine we're not the only people embarking on this day, will there be a wait with unorganized loading of the shuttle? (I.E. rude pushy line-jumping people get on first, polite considerate people wait for the next shuttle and roll the dice again.) As I'm unsure how PE works (never been there) will it take us right to the Princess area of the port? If so, do I need to ask the driver to ensure he stops there?

Edited by rajones007

I hope nobody minds that I bump this thread, but it seems like the best place to ask.

I booked this hotel for a cruise in early January 2011. It's one of only a few that seem to allow smoking, and even though my girlfriend says she doesn't mind it's nice to have that extra "smoking" room for me because, deep down, I know she prefers it that way. We always stay at the Embassy Suites in Niagara Falls, Ontario for that reason (plus the view can't be beat.)

But after reading some comments about cleanliness, I'm kind of hesitant now. So the dealbreaker will be their shuttle to Port Everglades.

How often does the shuttle run? I imagine we're not the only people embarking on this day, will there be a wait with unorganized loading of the shuttle? (I.E. rude pushy line-jumping people get on first, polite considerate people wait for the next shuttle and roll the dice again.) As I'm unsure how PE works (never been there) will it take us right to the Princess area of the port? If so, do I need to ask the driver to ensure he stops there?

As to the shuttle, wouldn't it be better to get a property that has a shuttle from the Airport, then you could take a cab to Port Everglades and skip all the hassle of dealing with other cruisers. A cab from the Airport will be about $15, a cab to the hotel will be about the same.

Smoke on the balcony, that's what everyone else does.

The shuttle from Embassy Suites to the port is continuous... the hotel is very popular with cruisers so it is a large minivan that will make multiple stops. You sign up for it with your selected time at the Concierge desk right next to check in... it is $7pp.

I would recommend that you verify which pier your ship is at. There is a very large lightbopard as you enter the port that tells which pier each ship is at. Make sure your friver is taking you to the right pier.

The only reason I caution that is a few years ago we were sailing Princess and didn't know there was more than one Princess ship in port. The driver dropped us off at the wrong one and it took hours to find our luggage again and get to the proper pier.

We have never had a problem at this Embassy Suites.

Smoke on the balcony, that's what everyone else does.

It'll be nice for a change to sit down comfortably and have a cigarette and/or watch TV or relax on a comfy chair or couch. I don't smoke in my own home, but I will in the hotel room suite if it's allowed. I'll know I'm on vacation when I can watch the late movie in January and not have to go stand outside in the cold while I have a cigarette during commercials.

The shuttle from Embassy Suites to the port is continuous... the hotel is very popular with cruisers so it is a large minivan that will make multiple stops. You sign up for it with your selected time at the Concierge desk right next to check in... it is $7pp.

I would recommend that you verify which pier your ship is at. There is a very large lightbopard as you enter the port that tells which pier each ship is at. Make sure your friver is taking you to the right pier.

The only reason I caution that is a few years ago we were sailing Princess and didn't know there was more than one Princess ship in port. The driver dropped us off at the wrong one and it took hours to find our luggage again and get to the proper pier.

We have never had a problem at this Embassy Suites.

Thanks for the info. That's what I wanted to know! It does sound organized so that's good enough for me.

The info I got from Princess says the ship will be at Pier 2 / Terminal 2, whatever that means. I guess I'll find out when I get there. I'm still 100+ days out so I'll have to be sure and re-verify that shortly before we leave for Florida.

And your bad experience sounds exactly like something that would happen to me. If you hadn't told me that I can guarantee you that when I return I would be complaining about that happening to me.

Here is a map of the port...17th ST and the Embassy Suites is at the top. You can see pier two which Princess uses most of the time...but we have also boarded on Pier 29 when two was also in use.

It is a large port... even tho you might think it is walkable, it is a distance with luggage and all...worth the few bucks for a shuttle or taxi.

At Pier Two, you will be the first ones dropped off by the shuttle.

PortEverglades-map.jpg

Edited by BobT172

Here is a map of the port...17th ST and the Embassy Suites is at the top. You can see pier two which Princess uses most of the time...but we have also boarded on Pier 29 when two was also in use.

It is a large port... even tho you might think it is walkable, it is a distance with luggage and all...worth the few bucks for a shuttle or taxi.

At Pier Two, you will be the first ones dropped off by the shuttle.

PortEverglades-map.jpg

Thanks for posting.

The Embassy Suites is nice, but be forewarned if you are going to eat there. The food is very expensive. We stayed there last year after a cruise and had a sandwich in the restaurant. Two turkey sandwiches and tea was $40+. A little steep for me. We had a room with a small balcony. The door was stuck, and we developed muscles trying to get it open.

It'll be nice for a change to sit down comfortably and have a cigarette and/or watch TV or relax on a comfy chair or couch. I don't smoke in my own home, but I will in the hotel room suite if it's allowed. I'll know I'm on vacation when I can watch the late movie in January and not have to go stand outside in the cold while I have a cigarette during commercials.

Thanks for the info. That's what I wanted to know! It does sound organized so that's good enough for me.

The info I got from Princess says the ship will be at Pier 2 / Terminal 2, whatever that means. I guess I'll find out when I get there. I'm still 100+ days out so I'll have to be sure and re-verify that shortly before we leave for Florida.

And your bad experience sounds exactly like something that would happen to me. If you hadn't told me that I can guarantee you that when I return I would be complaining about that happening to me.

The Embassy is totaly smoke free now.

..............and believe it or not, this hotel, two to three years ago, just finished a complete renovation after hurricane Jeanne did a job on it!!

We never had a hurricane Jeanne in Fort Lauderdale!:eek:

The last hurricanes that came through the area were Hurricanes Katrina and Wilma in 2005.

The Embassy Suites is nice, but be forewarned if you are going to eat there. The food is very expensive. We stayed there last year after a cruise and had a sandwich in the restaurant. Two turkey sandwiches and tea was $40+. A little steep for me. We had a room with a small balcony. The door was stuck, and we developed muscles trying to get it open.

We never eat at tghe ES... there are several good resturants in the immediate area... we always favor the Outback Steakhouse which is right out the side door and thru the parking lot...3 minute walk.

Hmmm, then they should update their website. Even the confirmation I received in my email says it's a smoking room.

Where did you get the info that it is non smoking now. I have my confirmation with smoking room.

Dawn

I don't know where some posters get their info but smoking rooms are still available upon request and availability.

Where did you get the info that it is non smoking now. I have my confirmation with smoking room.

Dawn

We stayed there last October and it was non-smoking, though you could smoke on the balcony. There are very few hotels in Ft. Lauderdale now that aren't smoke free. We stayed at the Hilton Marina last year and had a confirmed smoking room in the tower. When we got there, they said the tower was no smoking but they were putting us in a garden room. I got irate. We paid for a tower room, so the manager came out and told us we could smoke on the balcony. That was fine but I was still mad that they let us book a room and confirmed it and they didn't even offer what we asked for. You might call and ask them to be sure.

Nasmas,

We were there this past April and all of us had smoking rooms. Now 2 years ago we checked in at 9 in the morning but there only was non smoking rooms and our smoking room would be ready around 2. Needless to say we were tired and took the non smoking room. But they did say we could smoke on the balcony. I did call and they do have smoking rooms available not as many as non smoking but they do have both.

Dawn