If you worked on the pursers desk. How would you handle a complaint?

cazz0069

Thought this might be an interesting thread to start...I was talking to Eric today about how i would handle passengers complaints if i worked on the pursers desk, especially in relation to people that complain about the captain when he has to bypass a port due to bad weather....

My first response would be to tell them that i would be more than happy to register the complaint with the captain, but to make the passengers argument credible would they mind giving me an example of the last time they were `captaining` an ocean liner, and perhaps supply some tips of how they managed to steer the ship into a harbour or were able to tender in rough seas. `If sir or madam could just give me a few examples i would be more than happy to pass on your complaint`:p

My other one was to tell them to wait to Sunday and take it up with God, as the captain is actually not responsible..:D

Anyone else have any fun `comebacks` for the various complaints they may get??:p:D

Hahaha Jas, when I read your question, I knew you could be relied on to have the answers! :D

I think I would say, "Certainly, sir/madam, I'll tell the Captain - your wish is our command - but, please, just give the crew time to get into the lifeboats first!"

Seriously though, I heard some passenger was going to give the Captain heaps because we didn't go into Napier. Come on........... the harbourmaster closed the port (tsunami on the way) what could he do? Some people are behind the door when common sense is given out, I think. :eek:

Hahaha Jas, when I read your question, I knew you could be relied on to have the answers! :D

I think I would say, "Certainly, sir/madam, I'll tell the Captain - your wish is our command - but, please, just give the crew time to get into the lifeboats first!"

Seriously though, I heard some passenger was going to give the Captain heaps because we didn't go into Napier. Come on........... the harbourmaster closed the port (tsunami on the way) what could he do? Some people are behind the door when common sense is given out, I think. :eek:

Sandy, it would all be in the delivery. I would say it very calmly and with genuine interest....;)

It amazes me that people really think that they know more than the captain, and whats more if they say something, the captain might think `By george, i think your right...thanks for the advise` :p

Funny topic

I would like to give them a large rosette

Shake their hand with much enthusiasm

And announce " Congratulations you have won the Whinger of the Day Award. I name you 5 Horses"

Inside the rosette would be written

(nag, nag , nag, nag nag )

Funny topic

I would like to give them a large rosette

Shake their hand with much enthusiasm

And announce " Congratulations you have won the Whinger of the Day Award. I name you 5 Horses"

Inside the rosette would be written

(nag, nag , nag, nag nag )

HAHAHAHAHA classic. I suppose the other thing you could say `Is would sir or madam like to follow me up to the bridge and show the captain how its done` :p

sandie and I must have been at the pursers deck at the same time, I herd a person go off at the poor purser for that same thing I felt like t----ing that person o--r b----d :rolleyes:

but it was great how the purser fobed her off had to laugh.

I guess you could just have the video of that Pacific Sun voyage in 2008 on hand, the one that was on all the news channels this week.

Say nothing, just play it.:p

Then say-the ship could probably take it-but could you?

Or show them a movie marathon of movies like Titanic and Possiedon:)

And have the band playing on the deck. Maybe also pipe the theme music through the loudspeakers.

Too funny...I would have to bite my tongue. As i work in a call centre i am a firm believer of the quote ` Dont shoot the messenger, because the news is bad`...I also think those types of people are going to be the sort of people that are rude to waiters and probably pull the wings off flies :p

Too funny...I would have to bite my tongue. As i work in a call centre i am a firm believer of the quote ` Dont shoot the messenger, because the news is bad`...I also think those types of people are going to be the sort of people that are rude to waiters and probably pull the wings off flies :p

Maybe Barbara from the ANZ bank world ad would be good on the pursers desk, she wouln't let a passenger get a word in!

If the Captain of a ship ( or aircraft) that I am on doesn't want to do something - then I don't want to do it either!!!! :p

Barry

Barry i agree whole heartedly with that statement!

Another thing that i think that would work would be a big sign at the Pursers desk that says `All passengers complaining about missing a port will be tasered` :p

Tell them that the cruise line has just reintroduced 'Keel Hauling' of problem passengers at the Captain's discretion and then ask "Do you still want me to trouble the Captain with your complaint?"

Jenny

only one problem with that, most people would not know what the poor purser was talking about.(Keel Hauling that is):D

Tell them that the cruise line has just reintroduced 'Keel Hauling' of problem passengers at the Captain's discretion and then ask "Do you still want me to trouble the Captain with your complaint?"

Jenny

Whats Keel Hauling? :o

Hey Jen, i see your about to depart. Have the most amazing time :)

Hey Jen, i see your about to depart. Have the most amazing time :)

Thanks Jas,

Keel Hauling is a very nasty business indeed, used I believe, by pirates in past centuries to keep their crew in line and to punish their captives. They pass a rope under the ship and the poor recipient is tied to the rope and dragged down one side of the ship, across the bottom (keel) and up the other side seriously scrapped and injured by the barnacles on the ship's under side.

Maybe I should have said 'walk the plank' instead.

Jenny

Last year I researched a history paper for my class on Pirates and Privateers and the pirates didn't do the keel hauling - the Navy did.........

Keelhauling was not a practice of Pirates but you can rest assured that such a punishment drove many an honest man to piracy. Keel hauling was a form of corporal punishment practised in the Royal Navy.

First let us remember that in the Royal Navy on the high seas, the Captain was the law and could and did hand out punishments as he saw fit. This was also the case among many of the merchant ships belonging to such outfits as the East India Company and Royal African Company. Many of the punishments were quite cruel and harsh. Some forms of punishments were in fact a death sentence. This was the intended case, for keel hauling....etc.

So I wonder if the Captain can still do the keel hauling.........:rolleyes::cool::eek:

Last year I researched a history paper for my class on Pirates and Privateers and the pirates didn't do the keel hauling - the Navy did.........

Keelhauling was not a practice of Pirates but you can rest assured that such a punishment drove many an honest man to piracy. Keel hauling was a form of corporal punishment practised in the Royal Navy.

First let us remember that in the Royal Navy on the high seas, the Captain was the law and could and did hand out punishments as he saw fit. This was also the case among many of the merchant ships belonging to such outfits as the East India Company and Royal African Company. Many of the punishments were quite cruel and harsh. Some forms of punishments were in fact a death sentence. This was the intended case, for keel hauling....etc.

So I wonder if the Captain can still do the keel hauling.........:rolleyes::cool::eek:

Thanks for the clarification Sandy (I don't know why I thought it was the Pirates)

As for the second part of your comment,I think so but only in the case of extreme Laundry Rage.:eek:

is a form of corporal punishment meted out to sailors at sea. The sailor was tied to a rope that looped beneath the vessel, thrown overboard on one side of the ship, and dragged under the ship's keel, either from one side of the ship to the other, or the length of the ship (from bow to stern). As the hull was usually covered in barnacles and other marine growth, if the offender was pulled quickly, keelhauling would typically result in serious cuts, loss of limbs and even decapitation. If the victim were dragged slowly, his weight might lower him sufficiently to miss the barnacles; but this method would frequently result in his drowning.

Keelhauling was legally permitted as a punishment in the Dutch Navy. The earliest official mention of keelhauling is a Dutch ordinance of 1560, and the practice was not formally abolished until 1853. While not an official punishment, it was reportedly used by some British Royal Navy and merchant marine captains, and has become strongly associated with pirate lore.

Thanks for the clarification Sandy (I don't know why I thought it was the Pirates)

I did too, until I did the research! :D

As for the second part of your comment,I think so but only in the case of extreme Laundry Rage.:eek:

...and also for reserving seats in the theatre

I bet he sometimes feels like it!!! :rolleyes:

Archived