Eden Rock

Flairy

I'm sailing to Grand Cayman on the Carnival Valor in about a month and a half.

We'd planned on just getting off the boat at our own leisure, renting some snorkeling stuffs at Eden Rock, and then beach-hopping between Eden Rock and 7MB.

However, I've read in a thread recently that Eden Rock takes nothing other than a Sail & Sign card as a deposit. Is this true?

If it is, isn't it wildly inappropriate to give someone (to keep, even if temporarily) the only thing that allows you to re-board the ship without problem? What if it's lost? Given to a different passenger by accident?

Has anyone ever experienced using something else as a deposit?

Does anyone know of a different snorkel rental that doesn't make this inappropriate request?

If it is, isn't it wildly inappropriate to give someone (to keep, even if temporarily) the only thing that allows you to re-board the ship without problem? What if it's lost? Given to a different passenger by accident?

With tens of thousands of passengers using them each day, dealing with lost cards is undoubtedly a routine procedure for the ship's crew. Loss of the card has enough potential "nuisance" value to the passenger to encourage responsible behavoir;yet it has no monetary value to the temporary holder, nor any possibility of fradulent use. Said temporary holder is an established business, with a physical, unmoveable location, and a reputation to protect. I would not consider this arrangement "wildly inappropriate".

I don't know who takes what as a deposit, since we have our own gear, but keep in mind there are TWO locations that could be called Eden Rock, and I'm pretty sure both rent snorkel gear.

The first one people come to, which has a sign saying Eden Rock, is actually the Paradise Restaurant. A little further down the street is the actual Eden Rock Dive Centre. I'm not sure which one that poster in the other thread had been to, where they held his card.

Eden Rock Dive Centre has a website - http://www.edenrockdive.com/ - with contact info, so you could always check with them.

Paradise Restaurant doesn't have a website, but according to another website their phone number is (345) 945-1444.

• 2 weeks later...

My boyfriend and I just sailed the Valor and we rented a scooter, snorkeled off Eden Rock and he left his sail and sign card for insurance. They held onto it and returned it without any issues. You can rent a locker there to hold valuables, and I suggest you bring a copy of your passport if you are concerned with re-boarding the ship.

I can tell you it was well worth it to snorkel there, and our belongings were safe and we left them there even when we snorkeled in other locations, visited Seven Mile Beach, etc.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived