Problem w/first time cruise- Help

talula79

Greetings to all,

I am new to the forum, and this is my first cruise (honeymoon). I booked a Western Carrib cruise on the Star 3 weeks ago through Princess' "Friends and Family" program (which is supposed to give the best price). However, recently I found better prices for the same cruise through online travel agents. The online travel agents even offer a better category by far for the same price

(I booked a cat K with princess and the online travel agency offers cat I, II, and J). I called Princess to try to see if they would match the price or if they could at least give me an upgrade similar to what was offered on the net-- but they refused. Has anyone encountered a similar problem? I am a bit worried because there is only 3 weeks left till my cruise and I still haven't gotten a cabin # yet and I am afraid that they will stick me in a bad (whatever is left) room. Online BTW they offer not only better categories but also guarantee you a specific room. Any suggestions as to what I should do? Thanx

I just went on my first cruise this past April.I booked a guarantee and when I got my "cruise docs" , usually a few (2) weeks before sailing, they had assigned a room #.I booked with an on-line agency as Princess's prices were just a little higher than what I paid.I just booked another cruise for next April, on the Star, with a different on-line agency, and booked a certain cabin,just so I could pick out where we would stay.Did you book a guarantee? You will probably get your documents in another week or so, if not, I would call their 1-800 # for info.Your documents should have your cabin #.:)

Jaxsonbrownie,

Thanx for your reply. I already got my docs and there was no cabin#, only the category status. I called Princess and they said that they can't tell me when they will assign my room, and that it could even be when I am boarding the ship!

talula79-If you log into the Princess site with your booking number and name, that is a great way to watch for your cabin assignement without having to make a phone call. It will show up there just as soon as it is assigned.

Yes, finding a better price often happens, especially after final payment is made. Not a lot you or your TA can do about it.

I am actually surprised if you booked through a travel agent that Princess would even speak to you about your booking, normally they will just refer you back to your TA for any questions or observations.

Best of Luck! Hope you end up with a great upgrade on that guarantee booking.

Booking your first cruise can really be frustrating not knowing all of the "ins and outs". I now have have 60 sixty cruises and still learn new things.

Unfortuanately, the Friends and Family program only guarantees you the best rate that Princess has to offer - not what can be offered by TA's who do partial rebates and group bookings.

Since you are in the penalty stages you can not rebook the cruise with someone else at this time unless Princess will let you reassign your booking to a TA at this late date - which I doubt but you can try.

When you booked your cabin if you were concerned about the actual cabin you should not have booked a guarantee and should have booked an actual cabin number.

With this said I have done a few guaranteed bookings (3 to be exact) and have been fortuanate to be upgraded each time to a nice acceptable cabin but I have never been upgraded to a suite. I have gone from an inside to an outside. An inside to a balcony (woohoo!!) and an outside lower deck to an outside upper deck in a good location. BUT, you never know.

Good Luck.

Steve Hayes

Greetings to all,

I am new to the forum, and this is my first cruise (honeymoon). I booked a Western Carrib cruise on the Star 3 weeks ago through Princess' "Friends and Family" program (which is supposed to give the best price). However, recently I found better prices for the same cruise through online travel agents. The online travel agents even offer a better category by far for the same price

(I booked a cat K with princess and the online travel agency offers cat I, II, and J). I called Princess to try to see if they would match the price or if they could at least give me an upgrade similar to what was offered on the net-- but they refused. Has anyone encountered a similar problem? I am a bit worried because there is only 3 weeks left till my cruise and I still haven't gotten a cabin # yet and I am afraid that they will stick me in a bad (whatever is left) room. Online BTW they offer not only better categories but also guarantee you a specific room. Any suggestions as to what I should do? Thanx

Even if you do not know your room number in advance, the porters at the pier will have your room assignment on their lists....and you fill in your luggage tags then.

This have happened to us before and we have received very pleasant surprises!

Enjoy..and do not worry about it.

Booking a "guarantee" means that you've booked a specific category and the actual cabin assignment will be at least that category or better. You could be upgraded or not -- it's a random selection process and even though people sometimes think they know why some are upgraded and others aren't, I haven't seen any concrete explanation. :(

As the others have said, relax. You'll get your cabin assignment, even if it's when you get to the pier. You have a paid-for cruise ticket and a cabin (somewhere).

Best luck on your marriage and have a wonderful honeymoon.

Talula79-

I also booked a cruise through Princess "friends and family" and I received my pre-cruise documents and I have a room number. I actually got my room number when I booked online. I am going in April and others are going with us and we all have our room numbers. I'm sure you'll have a great room and a great time.

Just relax, if the upgrade fairy should visit you....that would be great!!!! We booked an AA guarentee for our first cruise. Princess decided to upgrade us to a PS suite, which was really nice, but I would not know how special that upgrade was til AFTER we had a few cruises under our belts. My wife and I (25 years so far) just know that when we are together, THAT it is the MOST important thing. So enjoy your cruise and may you both be happy on, which I pray will be a long journey together :).....Dennis

Archived