Oasis Tips - Consolidated from Many Many other Posts

borg1of2

In preparing for our Oasis Trip I was grabbing a lot of different tips I read from many posts since Oasis sailed. There were so many, so I chose a few fun one. Here is my original list and comments, in Red, now that we have completed our cruise.

Oasis Tips

1. Red carpets indicate you are on the starboard side of the ship (right side when facing forward (toward the bow) and green carpets indicate port (left side when facing forward). - This proved to not be true. I walked a lot of the decks and all of the borders of the carpets in the hallways were green on both sides of the ship. Only Rev versus green is on RCCL's web site and also on the electronic maps on the ship.
  2. When leaving the ship, the elevator actually has a button for the gangway. Just push the "gangway" button and it automatically stops and a voice tells you to exit. You don't have to remember, "Now What Deck did the announcement say?" We all did that one time on our cruises. :p
  3. Make sure you take the boarding pictures (Not the one on your Sea Pass Card) the one done by ships camera folks somewhere before the ship as you embark, after check-in, even if you have absolutely no intention of buying it. The Oasis has a face recognition system for all of the pictures. If you don't take this boarding picture you will not have all of your pictures together for the remainder of the cruise. They take your Sea Pass, and the pictures go with your room number, and every time a picture is taken it goes in your "folder".
  4. There are 39 "Small Wonders" art installations around the ship. These are 3D pictures in View Masters, objects in magnifying telescopes, and objects mounted on the walls. See who can find them all before the M&M!! (some of the locations are quite obscure). - This was awesome. We had tons of fun finding these, didn't find them all. I think I heard the number was 42, not 39.
  5. Hidden location, until now :p on Deck 7, the port side aft (back of the ship), kind of behind the rock wall there is deck space with a couple chairs, and there is NEVER anyone there. If you really want to get away from 6100 other people and you don't have your own balcony this is the place to go and relax.
  6. Cabin Tip #1 - There is a master switch at the front door that cuts out all of the lights. The two switches by the bed, one that controls the room lights and the other that controls subdued lighting over the artwork
  7. Cabin Tip #2 - For those in cabins with Balcony - The balcony door needs to be latched for the heat/air to come on. If out on the balcony, be careful not to close the sliding door too enthusiastically, as it could lock you out. - You can't lock yourself out there. You can close the door, but the latch won't engage so you can then just open it up again. The AC does turn off though!!
  8. Cabin Tip #3 - Silly Room Tip - You only have to partially close the closet doors in the cabin, the doors have an actuator that will close it the rest of the way for you. :cool:
  9. Cabin Tip #4 - TV Tip - The TV in your cabin has on Screen Interactive capabilities (there is a keyboard which comes with the flat screen TV). You can:

• Surf the web

• Reserve a table at any one of the several specialty restaurants on board

• Browse your calendar which shows you the customized itinerary for your trip and it shows your bookings (shore and on-board).

[*]Cabin Tip #5 - Life jackets are not kept in your cabin. It will be given to you at your life station, if required.: Thus leaving more room to store all of your personal stuff :cool:

[*]Dining/Eating Tip #1 - Windjammer Tips:

• The Windjammer is smaller than one would expect, smaller than on the other RCCL ships.

• There is no made to order omelet station. They have 2 omelets available daily (Different styles made each day).

[*]Dining/Eating Tip #2 - Cupcake Cupboard has a cupcake decorating class. The cost is $17.25. You will receive a cute apron, chef’s hat and tote bag at the end of the class and a cupcake. Side Note - A cupcake has 710 calories. Best Sellers are:

• Red Velvet

• Banana

• Carrot

[*]The Oasis offers Scuba Diving Lessons which are held in the Aqua Theater Pool :cool: There is a full PADI certification course onboard, utilizing 3 days on-ship classes and for the 4th day a dive in Cozumel or Costa Maya. The Aqua Theater pool is over 17 feet deep, so it meets the needs of the SCUBA class.

[*]Not really unique to Oasis, but something that I found interesting. Stargazing up on the Helipad. Check the daily Compass for which night, and hope for good weather, you get to Helipad by going to Deck 7 and entering through the Vitality Spa. The Activity Staff member has an expert in astronomy and will point out many of the constellations and provide explanations.

[*]The Oasis has one of the largest Fitness Center's at sea. It's part of the Vitality Spa and spans 2 decks. Tip for Fitness buff's, or anyone who wants to burn off those cruise calories. The Fitness Center has over 100 Cardio and Resistance machines and the longest jogging track at sea.

22752_1205026727273_1276773371_3048.jpg

[*]Parades - Yes there are parades on board a cruise ship. 2 parades and they are held on the Royal Promenade. Both parades are high energy and fun to watch. Best place to watch is in front of Sorrento’s, the pub, or the piano bar lounge which is where most of the action takes place. Pay attention to the globe above the pub. - I think there were more than just two parades. They had a lot of those events, we missed them all, but it seemed like each were different when I talked to others. Regardless, if you can do enjoy them, we regret missing them, especially the one on the first day (Saturday).

Scott

Thanks for the new thread! I'm beginning to worry a little that I'll forget something on our upcoming Allure cruise... this will help a bunch. :)

Forgetting isn't a bad thing. Having surprises and learning while on board was fun. The hidden art pieces were really fun. I had forgotten about them until I saw this thing standing by the elevator and looked. There began my quest.

You'll enjoy no matter what you remember or forget.

Scott

Scott, thank you for reminding me about the wonder of sponteneity. I'm a type A personality and try to get the major things plaaned, but I love a surprise here and there. :) I'm just hoping that I don't forget the bigger things such as getting my picture taken upon boarding so the face recognition software works. ;) I promise I'll enjoy my cruise no matter what I forget. Lol

Forgetting isn't a bad thing. Having surprises and learning while on board was fun. The hidden art pieces were really fun. I had forgotten about them until I saw this thing standing by the elevator and looked. There began my quest.

You'll enjoy no matter what you remember or forget.

Scott

I asked at the Art Gallery if there was a list of the hidden art or "what we called bronze look ins", and they did. All 42 are listed with deck and location, still had to look around for them. A few were totally different, ie in the Crown Viking Lounge. Have fun. We ran out of time going deck to deck, forward, aft and mid.

Thank you SO much for posting this!! We aren't cruising on Oasis until Apr. 30, 2011, but I am SO excited :D that I am checking for as much information as possible!!! I can't wait!! All the posts are so positive that it is just raising my level of excitement!! I am going to put this information in my Cruise Folder so that I have it when the time comes!!! Thanks for the valuable information!!!! CAN'T WAIT UNTIL APRIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):)

I asked at the Art Gallery if there was a list of the hidden art or "what we called bronze look ins", and they did. All 42 are listed with deck and location, still had to look around for them. A few were totally different, ie in the Crown Viking Lounge. Have fun. We ran out of time going deck to deck, forward, aft and mid.

One of the best places we found one was out on the Sports Deck by the Starboard Flowrider and Sports desk desk. The trick for that one is you need to get to it either early AM or late PM. The Zip Rider ropes off the area and the art is on the other side of the zip roped area. You could probably cheat and duck under, but they are sensitive, for the right reasons, about that area.

I figured there would be a list somewhere. It's still fun finding them and no, we didn't come close to finding them all. Too many decks!!

Scott

Do I understand this correctly? If I'm reading a book on the balcony and my husband is in the cabin' date=' he will have no air conditioning unless he locks me on the balcony?[/quote']

That is correct. I will say, from last weeks cruise, that the room didn't heat up too bad. The humidity came in, but we sat with the door open on a few different days to listen to the ocean, and the room didn't get too bad. I am an AC freak and it didn't bother me. Wouldn't have slept with it open, but during the day as our DD napped it wasn't that bad.

Also, the room cools very quickly once you close the door.

Scott

That is correct. I will say, from last weeks cruise, that the room didn't heat up too bad. The humidity came in, but we sat with the door open on a few different days to listen to the ocean, and the room didn't get too bad. I am an AC freak and it didn't bother me. Wouldn't have slept with it open, but during the day as our DD napped it wasn't that bad.

Also, the room cools very quickly once you close the door.

Scott

Scott must have been our cabin it never cooled off all week, had it set on the lowest setting and sleep outside the covers. The ship seem hot to us.

1. Make sure you take the boarding pictures (Not the one on your Sea Pass Card) the one done by ships camera folks somewhere before the ship as you embark, after check-in, even if you have absolutely no intention of buying it. The Oasis has a face recognition system for all of the pictures. If you don't take this boarding picture you will not have all of your pictures together for the remainder of the cruise. They take your Sea Pass, and the pictures go with your room number, and every time a picture is taken it goes in your "folder".

Great list, and glad to hear you had a wonderful time!

We didn't take boarding pictures but still had our photos all in our folder. Perhaps they used the SeaPass pictures for us.

Scott must have been our cabin it never cooled off all week, had it set on the lowest setting and sleep outside the covers. The ship seem hot to us.

I adjust pretty well temperature wise, but do normally prefer cool when sleeping. Our setting was about mid way on the cool, little closer to the mid position and we were very comfortable.

I think I've read that the Master Switch also turns off the a/c. Is that true? Or is there another switch that will turn off the a/c?

Another thing I've read is that you can review the pictures taken of you by the ships photographer on your t.v. screen. Is that true too?

The Master Switch did not turn off the AC. I had seen that too, but the times I used the Master Switch it only affected the lights.

I did not see anything in the TV menu screens that showed on board pictures. I didn't spend too much time with it though, so it could've been there. It's a little slow, so when trying to poke around it takes time.

Great list, and glad to hear you had a wonderful time!

We didn't take boarding pictures but still had our photos all in our folder. Perhaps they used the SeaPass pictures for us.

I think it was more about the fact that they scan your SeaPass card each time when they take your pictures then it was about the fact that they got your picture when you boarded. there were still pics up on the walls for people to find, so the face recognition may still be there for those times when they don't get your seapass card scanned.

Scott

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived