warning to those without a passport

jamieng

I have no idea why people here keep insisting that a U.S. passport is good for ten freaking years when so many cruiselines and foreign countries say that your passport has to be valid for at least six months after the day you plan to return to the U.S. Meaning that if you get a passport with an issue date of September 15, 2010 and an expiration date of September 14, 2020 and you want to take a two-month trip out of the U.S. leaving on January 20, 2020, you'll have to get a new passport before you leave. And you had better remember that when you book the trip in 2019.

When I got my first passport in 1975 (it was good for five years, not ten), nothing was said about it having to be valid for a certain amount of time after you planned to return to the U.S. I don't know when the six months thing started.

Never had an issue with the 6 months deal, in fact UK will allow "expired US passports" for up to 6 months after.

We're not getting passports. Our cruise is stopping in Port Canaveral (don't need 1), Coco Cay and Nassau (may not get off the ship in Nassau). We are a family of 5- that's a lot of dough to put out. It is a hefty investment for little return in our case(as we are doing this cruise in 2011 and Disney in 2012). Don't know what we'll do in 2013, but we'll re-evaluate then.

Besides, I don't see the need to get one for a closed loop cruise. My SIL and her family were in Mexico and accidentally left their passports on a bus. They went to the US embassy and were delayed something like 2 days, but got home safe and sound. If some rare snaffoo occurs and we are stuck in Nassau...it may be an inconvenience and a pain to get back home, but we'll live. And while I know it's not impossible for that snaffoo to happen to us, the odds aren't all that high.

I don't know when the six months thing started.

I remember that back in the 70s, some if not many foreign countries demanded the six months and a valid return ticket before admitting you; some even required you to prove you could support yourself, you had to show you had, or had access to, $x/day for example.

I have no idea why people here keep insisting that a U.S. passport is good for ten freaking years when so many cruiselines and foreign countries say that your passport has to be valid for at least six months after the day you plan to return to the U.S.

This is NOT a US requirement. The CBP will accept a US passport for entry until it expires.

The "6 month" deal is that some other countries have that requirement in order for you to be allowed to go there.

For example, my parents went to Australia a few years back; They were required to get a visa at the consulate. My mother's passport was going to expire in 5 months. At first, the consulate was not going to give her the visa, but was able to convince them that she would be returning in 2 weeks (on a US Navy plane) and she was given the visa.

Different countries have different entry requirements. The assumption is that cruise lines, etc use the "6-months" rule as the worst case scenario.

BTW - I keep looking for cheap air fares to Paris. One of these days, I'm going to treat my wife to a quick weekend getaway - If we didn't already have our passports; that would be impossible.

Aloha,

John

As I sit in my room on the grounds of the US American compound in Baghdad I just had to chime in.

Here is what the US State Department has to say:

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

U.S. Passport Card – This is a limited-use international travel document valid for entry into the U.S. by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, per the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. It is not valid for international air travel.

So no you don't need your passport to cruise to the Caribbean,, BUT the other documents must match and the Customs and Border Protection Service people are the final authority on you coming back into the country... oh they let you leave....

if something goes wrong and you have an emergency, you can only travel my BOAT, and not plane...

yes the cost has gone up and if I see you on a ship I'll tell you exactly why.. but each person must make the best decision on his/her circumstance.. if you're just cruising once or twice more then maybe not, but if your going to be cruising once or twice a year for the next ten years then it's $13.50 a year and worth it not to have the hassle of bringing all the documents.. and making sure they match... name wise..

there are those of us that have to have a passport for travel outside the US and outside the area that the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) covers...

be safe in your travels. be kind to others, and have a happy cruise...

gamble with your situation - that's your choice. But being hostile to those of us who see having a valid passport as a logical and intelligent part of international travel is amazing. Hope you never find yourself in need of that passport that you find so unnecessary. And if you do, please don't whine about how mistreated you were by the cruise line, the port agent, the local government or the American Embassy. Because you were warned....

And don't forget the airlines that will not let you board a flight back to the US.:eek:

I asked this very question of my travel agent, as I kept my original middle name when I married, rather than my maiden name. My name on my children's BCs is First Middle Maiden Last, and those are certified, original documents. Wouldn't this satisfy the required "bridging" document?

Childrens birth certificates are not supposed to be used as a bridging doucument. But if your maiden name is your middle name on your drivers license, you're good to go. Some rules are Homeland Security, some Royal Caribbean and some from the Captain of the particular vessel.

It's a different perspective: if you're European or have lived or travelled there, it seems very sensible as countries aren't very far away from each other. If you've always lived in the U.S. and rarely go to Canada or take a cruise or an 8 hour plane ride to Spain, it seems a waste of money if you don't plan on using it more than once every few years.

I've always lived in the US, and until my first cruise had only been to Canada (grew up in Vermont so it was a short trip). When I got my passport it felt like nearly the entire world opened up to my possible travel experience - minus a few places an American cannot go or probably would not be the most welcome, like Cuba or Iran. The world became my oyster! Woohoo! Well as far as the budget will allow anyway lol

BTW, much of this thread has made me VERY happy I kept my maiden name when I got married! Less hassle and my name is easier to spell and pronounce! :D

Yes! Adult American passports are good for 10 years, double that of Canadian passports. Seems like an affordable investment and peace of mind.

By the way, I hope this thread persuades those "on the cusp" to go ahead and get the passport, but I have a feeling that as long as we see threads like this one, where OP "got a pass", the situation might not be as cut and dry for everyone. Some will continue to take the chance. :o

Agree! And even with the increase in fee for a passport (I believe it's $125 now), when you spread that out over 10 years, it's not such a bad investment, esp. if it's going to make life easier while traveling! JMHO!

Tough crowd, the OP is simply saying life is easier w/ a passport. And even giving an example as to how life can be made difficult. Thank you.

LOL! Indeed!

I use my passport as my ID when I fly as well. Not needed, but it works!

Agree! And even with the increase in fee for a passport (I believe it's $125 now), when you spread that out over 10 years, it's not such a bad investment, esp. if it's going to make life easier while traveling! JMHO!

But a couple in their 90s , that don't have passports, looking to cruise with their great, great, great grandchildren may not be looking at it from the "10 year lifespan" argument.

Never had an issue with the 6 months deal, in fact UK will allow "expired US passports" for up to 6 months after.

I've had this happen and my passport is Canadian. It's one of those things in life that just is. I learned a long time ago that I could either play by the rules or use up a ton of time and energy fighting them with the same result.

BTW - You need a valid passport to cross the Canadian border into the US. I was just down there last weekend, by car and if you had no passport, you weren't getting in.

But a couple in their 90s , that don't have passports, looking to cruise with their great, great, great grandchildren may not be looking at it from the "10 year lifespan" argument.

Well maybe they can opt for the "passport card", it cheaper...I think about half the price.

I know NYers can use an "enhanced drivers license" to cross into Canada. Do the Canadians have anything like that?

As I sit in my room on the grounds of the US American compound in Baghdad I just had to chime in.

Here is what the US State Department has to say:

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

U.S. Passport Card – This is a limited-use international travel document valid for entry into the U.S. by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, per the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. It is not valid for international air travel.

So no you don't need your passport to cruise to the Caribbean,, BUT the other documents must match and the Customs and Border Protection Service people are the final authority on you coming back into the country... oh they let you leave....

if something goes wrong and you have an emergency, you can only travel my BOAT, and not plane...

yes the cost has gone up and if I see you on a ship I'll tell you exactly why.. but each person must make the best decision on his/her circumstance.. if you're just cruising once or twice more then maybe not, but if your going to be cruising once or twice a year for the next ten years then it's $13.50 a year and worth it not to have the hassle of bringing all the documents.. and making sure they match... name wise..

there are those of us that have to have a passport for travel outside the US and outside the area that the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) covers...

be safe in your travels. be kind to others, and have a happy cruise...

Ahhh! The voice of reason! Well put and well researched!

This whole thread was started by someone who was hassled at the cruise terminal....all the suggestions to get a passport were just offered to try to make life easier, and to not have to put up with a bunch of paperwork and worry before you start your vacay! :D

Personally, I think that agent was just being a pain in the behind, and here are the reasons why. First, those agents are not employed by the cruise line and therefore have no power to deny anyone boarding. That would have to be done by a member of the ship's staff, such as a Purser or Captain. Second, I have seen, first hand, how RCI has handled these matters, and it wasn't by denying anyone boarding. We were boarding an RCI ship for a cruise that started in one US port and ended in another, so NOT a closed loop cruise. The couple checking in right in front of us forgot their passports at home---about a 4 hour drive. They were taken to a separate area and the head of security, the Purser and Captain were in there with them. We fully thought we would never see this couple again, but there they were at dinner, at the table two away from ours. One of our table mates asked how they got on the ship and they said that their son faxed the info page to the ship, and sent the passports to the next port of call, via Fed Ex and they were allowed to stay on board. They did get their passports at the next port, so no problem. So you see, things can be done. And like I said, those check in persons have absolutely no power to deny anyone boarding. They are part time employees of the port and not the cruise line.

Personally, I think that agent was just being a pain in the behind, and here are the reasons why. First, those agents are not employed by the cruise line and therefore have no power to deny anyone boarding. That would have to be done by a member of the ship's staff, such as a Purser or Captain. Second, I have seen, first hand, how RCI has handled these matters, and it wasn't by denying anyone boarding. We were boarding an RCI ship for a cruise that started in one US port and ended in another, so NOT a closed loop cruise. The couple checking in right in front of us forgot their passports at home---about a 4 hour drive. They were taken to a separate area and the head of security, the Purser and Captain were in there with them. We fully thought we would never see this couple again, but there they were at dinner, at the table two away from ours. One of our table mates asked how they got on the ship and they said that their son faxed the info page to the ship, and sent the passports to the next port of call, via Fed Ex and they were allowed to stay on board. They did get their passports at the next port, so no problem. So you see, things can be done. And like I said, those check in persons have absolutely no power to deny anyone boarding. They are part time employees of the port and not the cruise line.

Not sure your statement is 100% accurate. From the RCI employment website.......

Join our team as a Part-time Pier Agent!

This position is responsible for meet, greet and assist guests sailing on Royal Caribbean International and/or Celebrity Cruises in all aspects of shore-side operations. This includes (but is not limited to) airport meet and greet, hotel check-in, pier check-in, bus meet & greet, monitoring established metrics and standards in all operational airports and/or pier terminals. A large element of this position is to always portray a positive, efficient and professional corporate image. Additionally, the incumbent must be available to work on assigned operational hours/days or as operationally required at the discretion of the Supervisor. Agents will be utilized in all operational areas as operationally required at the discretion of the Supervisor-may be cross-utilized to perform pier or airport agent responsibilities subject to operational demands.

That is a completely different situation. The couple had passports and were able to prove they did. If they didn't have them then you wouldn't have seen them again.

I know NYers can use an "enhanced drivers license" to cross into Canada. Do the Canadians have anything like that?

Not sure about other provinces but in Ontario one can apply for an EDL. A special application is required, i.e. the normal Ontario DL is not an EDL.

Archived