Don't understand Early Saver fares...

ejeffo

So the cheapest fare is the ES... correct?

If I am not badly mistaken you do not pick your stateroom but you get the cheaper rate. What are all of the differences between ES and regular rates? I am so confused. If the price drops, which ones can and cannot reap the benefits?

Yes, ES is the cheapest and you can pick your cabin. ES is the plan that let's you take advantage of all the price drops until I believe 2 days before sailing.

The "down" side can come in the fact that the deposits are non-refundable. So if you cancel, you lose it. However, you can MOVE that deposit to another cruise (within a year, I think) for a $50 change fee. So if you are pretty well sure you are going to do the cruise, or will cruise Carnival soon, then ES is a great deal.;)

AND the ES rules are pretty confusing as when you research further in their there are a lot of issues. I booked ES and it doesn't look like I'll get any price drops (but that's OK). I believe with regular, you will get price reductions until the final payment date.

With Early Saver, you do get to select your stateroom.

ES seem to get great pricing. ES allows you to receive price protection - if the price drops, you receive a credit.

As with anything there are limitations and such....non-refundable deposit, $50. fee for any name changes, and other things you need to know.

No doubt some with much more knowledge and experience than I will come along and add some great info for you too.

From the Carnival site:

What is Early Saver?Early Saver is a brand new promotional rate that rewards you for booking early with the absolute lowest rate. In addition, the fares are backed by a unique price protection assurance. Book your cruise now. If you later find a lower Carnival advertised fare for the same sailing and accommodations, Carnival will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable, non-transferable onboard credit. The policy is effective up to two business days prior to sailing. You now have even more great reasons to book early! Not only will you have the best availability of staterooms, dates, and destinations…you’re assured the lowest rate.

• How early must I make my reservation?

Early Saver is available up to 3 months prior to sailing on short cruises (5 days or shorter) and up to 5 months prior to sailing on long cruises (6 days or greater).

• How do I make an Early Saver reservation?

Contact your Travel Agent, your Personal Vacation Planner, call 1-800- Carnival or visit www.Carnival.com.

• Does Early Saver follow Carnival’s standard deposit, payment and cancellation terms?

The deposit and payment terms are the same. However, Early Saver reservations require a full non-refundable deposit per person.

• What if I need to make changes to my ship or sailing date?

Ship and sailing date changes are allowed prior to the final payment due date, subject to a $50 service fee per person, per change. Changes made after the final payment due date are subject to standard cancellation penalties.

• What is the price protection assurance feature?

If, after booking, you find a lower Carnival advertised fare, Carnival will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable onboard credit. The lower fare must be: i) for the same ship, sailing, stateroom category and number of guests; ii) available for booking at the time you submit your request for the lower rate; and iii) a rate you are eligible to receive, if special restrictions apply. Price protection will be subject to the prevailing fees and/or fuel supplement if applicable.

• What is a Carnival advertised fare?

A Carnival.com or Carnival advertised fare available to the general public. A Carnival advertised fare excludes group rates, membership programs, charters or other Travel Agent promotions not offered by Carnival to the general public, including but not limited to travel agent rebates.

• What should I do once I find a lower rate?

Complete a price protection claim form. If the request meets the price protection requirements, we will process your onboard credit for the fare difference and send you an email confirmation within 2 business days of your request.

• What information must be submitted for a price protection request?

Guest(s) name

Sailing information

Available cruise fare being requested

Where the lower advertised fare was found (i.e.: Carnival.com)

• When can I submit a price protection request?

Carnival will accept price protection requests up to 2 business days prior to sailing.

• How many times can I submit a price protection request?

Provided that you are eligible for the lower fare, there are no restrictions to the number of price protection requests or the requested amount.

Hope that helps!

I don't think so. ;)

Just beware of what happened to me. We booked an 8B using the ES Fare. Just before final payment, I asked my TA about moving up to an Cat. 8D. She said it would be $10 more pp. We took it! When prices went down this past week ($40 less than what we paid for the D) I contacted my TA about the drop and getting OBC (past final) based on my ES Fare. She informed me that when she moved our room, she used a Senior Rate and we were no longer eligible to take advantage of the ES. :( However, I was able to get the OBC after all.

I am pretty sure you cant change from FS to ES.

I have booked with ES a few times and have always ended up with the best rate going this route. If you cancel (I think it needs to be canceled before final payment though) you can pay a feee of 50.00 PER PERSON to change your trip within 12 months.

Sooo... correct me if I am wrong... The description is just as confusing because it does not compare the two fares...

-ES can take advantage of price drops til 2 days before sailing.

-FS can still take advantage of price drops up until final payment...

-The only real bad thing about ES is that you cannot get a refund if you cancel. (just credit)

It is my understanding that you can move to ES from any other rate. We moved from military to ES. Once you change to ES you can never change back. You can get a price drop for any rate code that you are eligible to use. The major difference is no cash refund, just cruise credit if you cancel. No name changes. $50 pp. charge to rebook if the sailing is changed in any way, i.e., ship or sailing date.

Do a little thread search. A while back Ken076 gave a great explanation of the ES rates.

Sooo... correct me if I am wrong... The description is just as confusing because it does not compare the two fares...

-The only real bad thing about ES is that you cannot get a refund if you cancel. (just credit)

My understanding was that the only rate that was eligable for price drops was Early Saver....

You can... I switched from FS to ES last year and ended up saving $640 total on my cruise and had $100 OBC. :)

I think as long as the ES rates are being offered (5 months before the cruise) you can switch but once you are with ES, your stuck. There is no out.

I don't think so. ;)

Just beware of what happened to me. We booked an 8B using the ES Fare. Just before final payment, I asked my TA about moving up to an Cat. 8D. She said it would be $10 more pp. We took it! When prices went down this past week ($40 less than what we paid for the D) I contacted my TA about the drop and getting OBC (past final) based on my ES Fare. She informed me that when she moved our room, she used a Senior Rate and we were no longer eligible to take advantage of the ES. :( However, I was able to get the OBC after all.

Your TA screwed up you realize - by moving you to a Senior Rate - they probably found a lower rate and saved more money than you realized. I use a PVP, and you can move UP a catagory in ES (not down) and pay the difference then be eligible for upgrades that are being offered - AND keep your ES rate. I did this. Originally booked a 1A, noticed later a past guest promo for 4F upgrade for 4A, so I paid the $20 difference to upgrade (still ES) and got upgraded (past guest) to 4F.

The only issue then is for ES price reductions is you have to watch the 4F rates and not the 4A you paid.

I don't think so. ;)

Your TA is just plain incorrect. Once ES always ES. If you price match to a different type of fare ... you are still ES.

Thats what happens when you book with someone who is not knowledgeable. Costs YOU money.

I have booked with ES a few times and have always ended up with the best rate going this route. If you cancel (I think it needs to be canceled before final payment though) you can pay a feee of 50.00 PER PERSON to change your trip within 12 months.

Actually you can (I've done it) as long as you make the switch while ES is still valid.

You can... I switched from FS to ES last year and ended up saving $640 total on my cruise and had $100 OBC. :)

I think as long as the ES rates are being offered (5 months before the cruise) you can switch but once you are with ES, your stuck. There is no out.

That's makes sense, as long as the offer is still being made. ;) Remember for the shorter cruises you can book up to 3 months before.

Your TA screwed up you realize - by moving you to a Senior Rate - they probably found a lower rate and saved more money than you realized. I use a PVP, and you can move UP a catagory in ES (not down) and pay the difference then be eligible for upgrades that are being offered - AND keep your ES rate. I did this. Originally booked a 1A, noticed later a past guest promo for 4F upgrade for 4A, so I paid the $20 difference to upgrade (still ES) and got upgraded (past guest) to 4F.

The only issue then is for ES price reductions is you have to watch the 4F rates and not the 4A you paid.

Your TA is just plain incorrect. Once ES always ES. If you price match to a different type of fare ... you are still ES.

Thats what happens when you book with someone who is not knowledgeable. Costs YOU money.

I don't know if she messed up or not, but don't know what you mean about saving more money. I am getting the amount of OBC due, so have not lost any money. Also, I am still watching the prices, and will contact her (my TA) again if there is another price drop. Maybe she isn't as knowledgeable about the Carnival system as with other cruiselines, but she is still a good TA, and I have booked many cruises with her. ;)

I don't know if she messed up or not, but don't know what you mean about saving more money. I am getting the amount of OBC due, so have not lost any money. ;)

I contacted my TA about the drop and getting OBC (past final) based on my ES Fare. She informed me that when she moved our room, she used a Senior Rate and we were no longer eligible to take advantage of the ES. :( However, I was able to get the OBC after all.

She did get the OBC you were due .. but should you have to explain to her that price matching to a senior rate, doesnt change the ES rate you are still booked under??

As long as you know the rules and dont mind explaining them to your TA who doesnt know the rules .. all is fine. Im glad to have a PVP who knows more than me that I can ask questions to.

@@@@

Ignoring all of the ongoing confusion with ES, I think you got it!

@@@@ = PS: credit less $50 fee.

Archived