Brazilian Embassy, Washington Visas

BosoxI

We use a service company called Washington Visas & Passports. They have someone file everything for you. You fill out the application and mail them a check and your passport. You'll get it back quickly. We have used them for years. You can find them online.:)

We use a service company called Washington Visas & Passports. They have someone file everything for you. You fill out the application and mail them a check and your passport. You'll get it back quickly. We have used them for years. You can find them online.:)

Thanks, but how quick is "quickly" as my wife requires her passport for her work and can't part with it for weeks on end. If this gets to be too big a pain, we'll cancel the trip as we've both been there before. Hate to do that, though

We live in the DC area and one year I went to get our visas from the Embassy of Tanzania. It was not a pretty experience. they were not set up for "walk ins" and I believe that I had to go back at least 3 times. I always felt like I was missing something also (like should I "tip" the official etc). Since that time I have just given the money to the cruise line for visas. You might see if there are visa services (and I know there are) in the area and see if they have an expedited service that would get your wife's passport back quickly. I would also just call the Brazil embassy and see what can be arranged or who they suggest. BT

I just looked up the Brazilian Embassy visa FAQ (San Francisco Consulate) and believe me it does not sound easy. Of your questions. Quickly -- at least 5 days unless it is longer, must have an appointment to drop off EACH application -- one application per appointment. Appointment in advance. Must have an empty page in passport and passport must be submitted to Brazilian authorities. Payment must be in US Postal money order -- no credit/debit or cash of any kind. I have heard before that Brazil is sort of hard to get the visas for. I don't know if Visa Services get treated better but if they promise less than 5 days I would be warry.

For more information Google *visa for Brazil for American citizen*.

I just looked up the Brazilian Embassy visa FAQ (San Francisco Consulate) and believe me it does not sound easy. Of your questions. Quickly -- at least 5 days unless it is longer, must have an appointment to drop off EACH application -- one application per appointment. Appointment in advance. Must have an empty page in passport and passport must be submitted to Brazilian authorities. Payment must be in US Postal money order -- no credit/debit or cash of any kind. I have heard before that Brazil is sort of hard to get the visas for. I don't know if Visa Services get treated better but if they promise less than 5 days I would be warry.

For more information Google *visa for Brazil for American citizen*.

Every consulate is different. In Miami is was easy as it could be.

Thanks to all of you for your kind responses. I'll call to inquire if there is a expedited system for my wife's situation. We've been looking forward to this particular cruise for some months and I'd hate to have to cancel for lack of a visa. I like the Turkish system: walk up to the window at the airport, plunk down $20 and you're off to the races. Would that everything in the travel world were as simple.

Thanks to all of you for your kind responses. I'll call to inquire if there is a expedited system for my wife's situation. We've been looking forward to this particular cruise for some months and I'd hate to have to cancel for lack of a visa. I like the Turkish system: walk up to the window at the airport, plunk down $20 and you're off to the races. Would that everything in the travel world were as simple.
Be sure to let us know how you make out.

It is getting close to the time to get a visa, and I am wondering if anyone has had RECENT experience in getting a visa from the embassy in DC. Any info would be much appreciated, especially concerning time frames.

Bosox - my experience with the Brazilian consulate in DC was from this time last year. My husband travels internationally multiple times a month and he had to make his travel arrangements around their (specific to the DC consulate) 3 week (not a day earlier, not a day later, no exceptions) processing time. He managed but not without some grumbling. It was worth it - the Amazon cruise was great!

Bosox - my experience with the Brazilian consulate in DC was from this time last year. My husband travels internationally multiple times a month and he had to make his travel arrangements around their (specific to the DC consulate) 3 week (not a day earlier, not a day later, no exceptions) processing time. He managed but not without some grumbling. It was worth it - the Amazon cruise was great!

That is the worst possible news. DW cannot surrender her PP for that long.

Today I tried calling the embassy but got only a recording, some of which was unintelligible. I finally sent a message to their general site but have no great hope of a response. My ace in the hole is a Brazilian friend who has kindly offered to intercede on my behalf, if necessary. I can see it will be. We'd sure hate to cancel, but that's what insurance is for.

Yes it was not so bad except for the approximately 300 folks that got into the line before me. I sure was glad I paid the $40 and walked straight to the passport line without having to wait so long on line. At that point in the journey (3rd day and about 18 hours of flight/airport) the visa stamp was priceless.

Yes it was not so bad except for the approximately 300 folks that got into the line before me. I sure was glad I paid the $40 and walked straight to the passport line without having to wait so long on line. At that point in the journey (3rd day and about 18 hours of flight/airport) the visa stamp was priceless.

And if I recall correctly,the $40 gets a year long visa, as opposed to the 3 months the $20 buys. My PP is full of $20 visas for Turkey, as it is one of my favorite stops, but I only go there if I can fly up front, and that means I'm first off the plane, making a beeline for the visa window. I've got it down pat now. I should also say that when I lived near Washington, I got visas from India, Japan, and Turkey in a matter of days, not weeks. I don't understand why Brazil's system is so slow, but I'll have to live with it.

we got our Brazilian visa 2 years ago in DC. We walked in on Monday when it opened and went back on Thursday. We got a 5 year visa. Make sure you have more paperwork than you think. You final bill and itinerary is helpful sometimes. We had no problems. Good Luck

we got our Brazilian visa 2 years ago in DC. We walked in on Monday when it opened and went back on Thursday. We got a 5 year visa. Make sure you have more paperwork than you think. You final bill and itinerary is helpful sometimes. We had no problems. Good Luck

Now that's the kind of experience we hope to have. Thanks for posting the info. We will take everything but the kitchen sink. Is it necessary for each person to pick up his own PP or was one of you able to pick up for both. And how were you notified the PPs were ready? We live 3 hours from Washington and I don't like wild goose chases.

The one question that I have not seen posted here is:" how hard is it for a Brazilian to get a US visa?" Bet it is tough and that is why they make it difficult for US citizens to get the visa. Now someone from the UK has no need for a visa. But then a Brazilian citizen doesn't need a UK visa.

got to love out state department :rolleyes:.

I'm hoping you'll report back, as we have to do this in late January and we also hate surprises and problems. I suppose I could just go with a service, but I hate paying for something that I can do fairly easily (hopefully!) on my own! How much do the services charge, anyway? And how much do cruise ships generally charge?

Parking in most parts of DC isn't as hard as you'd think...do it a bit myself, although not often near McPherson Square!

Anyway, please report back later and let us know how you fared!

Hi. Just wanted to add that there's a note on the consulate web site, stating new hours for issuing a Visa. I think it's 9 to 11 AM - hope you saw that! Also, I assume you know the correct address - 15th Street NW, which is not where the embassy is located!

Also, if you do find out that there are any options available other than the 10 day processing, could you let us know? I think our cruise line sends out travel documents 3 to 4 weeks in advance, and with a ten-day visa processing time, I'll be a little nervous as I wait those 10 days!

Archived