Before booking our next cruise...

chadci

We're looking at a cruise around the end of March 2011. Looking over prices today and I'm seeing past guest and early saver. I did a little research and I see the benefit of booking past guest vs early saver.

On our cruise in May we booked fun saver or whatever it was called. It was a balchony guarantee and we were very pleased with our room. The first night after dinner and the show we found our excursion passes and other goodies on the bed with 2 OBC refund cards, one for $100 and one for $50. We walked down to the guest services desk to find out why and he said there had been a price drop. Great but I didn't think we were eligible for price differences.

SO.. we did not research, no paperwork etc and still got the refund. IF we book the past guest rate do we have to check the price daily to get the reduction or do they just give it to you like they did with us? I was like :eek::eek: but sure didn't complain any ;)

I think we're going to do a Dream cruise however an 8 day out of Fort Lauderdale sounds quite nice too.

We're looking at a cruise around the end of March 2011. Looking over prices today and I'm seeing past guest and early saver. I did a little research and I see the benefit of booking past guest vs early saver.

On our cruise in May we booked fun saver or whatever it was called. It was a balchony guarantee and we were very pleased with our room. The first night after dinner and the show we found our excursion passes and other goodies on the bed with 2 OBC refund cards, one for $100 and one for $50. We walked down to the guest services desk to find out why and he said there had been a price drop. Great but I didn't think we were eligible for price differences.

SO.. we did not research, no paperwork etc and still got the refund. IF we book the past guest rate do we have to check the price daily to get the reduction or do they just give it to you like they did with us? I was like :eek::eek: but sure didn't complain any ;)

I think we're going to do a Dream cruise however an 8 day out of Fort Lauderdale sounds quite nice too.

I have never heard of getting the OBC cards in your room unless 1) you booked through a TA or 2) you had problems on your cruise and they gave you OBC for your troubles (got 500.00 once that way).

We've always had to keep track of the rate ourselves, and then submit the form (for the earlysaver rate) to get the rate reduction or OBC. But we always book on our own. I'm pretty sure that with past guest rate, you just have to call them to get the reduction. But it's almost never automatic. If you use a TA, maybe they take care of it for you. But Carnival won't automatically give it to you.

Iv only got OBC that my TA gave me that way or from stockholder's OBC, never from a price drop.

I think its odd too, never heard of OBC from a pice drop that way. .. and how would the purser's desk know how you got the OBC when you asked .. thats the oddest part, because they wouldnt know where it came from... that they would make something up.

No travel agent involved, I booked it myself on Carnival.com at about 3AM one morning after we FINALLY decided where the devil we wanted to go;). Maybe the purser just gave that as a standard reply?

Because it was the first night, we had no troubles ( we didn't the rest of the cruise either) HOWEVER we did have a few small issues between booking and getting to the port. One morning I got up, checked my e-mail and it said our booking had been cancelled. A quick call resolved it and all was right with the world. There were a few other glitches along the way ( when they changed the order of Roatan and Belize)) and I called a time or two. Those are the only things I can think of.

What all is involved in getting the price adjustment? Is it an e-mail type situation or what?

What all is involved in getting the price adjustment? Is it an e-mail type situation or what?

Well, looking back on your original post, I would just say to thank the Lord for the blessings on that cruise, and don't count on it happening again. I know that with earlysaver, if there is a price drop in my category that I am eligible for, I have to submit an online form that is found on Carnival's website. Usually in a couple days, I would receive the email confirming that my rate has been adjusted (if it's before final payment) or that I have OBC (if it's after final payment). I've never booked past guest rate, but I think it works the same as Fun Select, which involves just making a call to Carnival to get the lower rate (and then they'd send an email). Keep in mind that with earlysaver, you're eligible for price drops or OBC all the way up to 2 days prior to sailing (I think). But with the other rates, after final payment, that's it. No more OBC from price drops. Sounds like you got lucky last time.

Archived